SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   Classic Subsims (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=173)
-   -   Command Aces of The Deep Under WinXP! (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=202336)

ChristopherTarana 02-19-13 11:19 AM

Command Aces of The Deep Under WinXP!

I was able to reinstall CAOD and get it running great under WinXP SP2 using
the "Compatibility Mode" for Win98! I'll have to back into the groove before I
start a new campaign! :ping: I keep hitting ships while under 4x time! :har: There are a few problems with the screens refreshing sometimes but I'm going to play with the graphics settings and see how that works! Today I need to readjust my monitor because it's too dark! :D

Thanks, Guys!

Christopher

Sailor Steve 02-19-13 12:58 PM

Who in the world would want a primitive-looking ancient game just because the gameplay is better than anything else before or since?

Oh, wait, that's what the SH5 guys say about SH3. :rotfl2:

I have the original AOD on my computer at all times, running on XP under DosBox. :rock: I don't play it as much as I'd like, but it's there waiting whenever I get the urge.

Julhelm 02-19-13 01:20 PM

I liked Command Aces of the Deep but mine would always crash under win95 when using the ladder torpedoes.

ChristopherTarana 02-19-13 02:31 PM

I have SH2, but the campaign isn't quite there compared to SH1 even. I have both the original Silent Hunter and the Commander's Edition. :D I can't get SHCE to run under WinXP even with compatibility mode. So I'm using Defend Reloaded to run SH1 and that works really good!:ping: CAOD has a really good campaign engine and I really don't mind the occasional burp in the engine
audio! :arrgh!: I did set CAOD to run in 256 color mode and that really makes it
run better! Too bad I can't get Defend Reloaded to install Win98 again, although I did Win 3.1 to run! :)

Thanks, Guys!

Christopher

Red October1984 02-19-13 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChristopherTarana (Post 2012397)
I have SH2, but the campaign isn't quite there compared to SH1 even. I have both the original Silent Hunter and the Commander's Edition. :D I can't get SHCE to run under WinXP even with compatibility mode. So I'm using Defend Reloaded to run SH1 and that works really good!:ping: CAOD has a really good campaign engine and I really don't mind the occasional burp in the engine
audio! :arrgh!: I did set CAOD to run in 256 color mode and that really makes it
run better! Too bad I can't get Defend Reloaded to install Win98 again, although I did Win 3.1 to run! :)

Thanks, Guys!

Christopher

You should try running these games on DOSBox. They run great.

ChristopherTarana 02-19-13 10:13 PM

DosBox?

Do you have to create your own setups for the software you run under
it?

Thanks!

Christopher

Red October1984 02-19-13 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChristopherTarana (Post 2012605)
DosBox?

Do you have to create your own setups for the software you run under
it?

Thanks!

Christopher

DOSBox Official Website

ChristopherTarana 02-20-13 12:02 AM

I did get the original SH1 running under DosBox 0.74 and I think it actually
runs faster than under Defend Reloaded! Now I need to figure out how to switch from windowed mode to full screen! :hmmm:

Thanks, Red October1984! :yeah:

Christopher

JapLance 02-20-13 03:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChristopherTarana (Post 2012639)
runs faster than under Defend Reloaded! Now I need to figure out how to switch from windowed mode to full screen! :hmmm:

Christopher

Alt+Enter

Red October1984 02-20-13 07:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChristopherTarana (Post 2012639)

Christopher

You are welcome buddy. :D :woot:

Glad you got it working. If a game is running too fast or slow, you can even change the number of processes. Most games run very well on DOSBox if you get the setup correct.

ChristopherTarana 02-20-13 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Julhelm (Post 2012364)
I liked Command Aces of the Deep but mine would always crash under win95 when using the ladder torpedoes.

Mine does too, so I ignore the ladder settings and use them like regular
eels! :up:

Christopher

Red October1984 02-20-13 08:27 PM

I like messing around with old DOS sims...but I have never been able to play them correctly.

The graphics and interface really throws me off on some of these old sims. I have never gotten a kill in AoTD or SH1.

I did, however, get an extremely lucky kill in Red Storm Rising....

Don't tell anyone it was luck... :oops:

ChristopherTarana 02-20-13 11:44 PM

Plenty of kills in AOD, CAOD and Silent Hunter 1, just had to put up with a lot of dud torpedoes! :yep: If you keep the career's at the higher difficulty's you'll
see how hard it really was. I took out a Type IIa today for two patrols in CAOD! Six eels shot, 1 hit on a 19000 ton troopship and all the rest were duds! :haha: Silent Service 2 actually started me down the slippery slope! :ping: I bought that sim and ended up spending $30.00 on a Soundblaster card with the AdLib built in!

Thanks, Guys!

Christopher

ChristopherTarana 02-22-13 01:41 AM

Tonight I got SHCE running under DosBox and I'm very pleased with the results! :subsim: I'm looking forward to starting new campaigns in both tomorrow! :ping:

Thanks, Guys! :shucks:

ChristopherT

Red October1984 02-22-13 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChristopherTarana (Post 2014186)
Tonight I got SHCE running under DosBox and I'm very pleased with the results! :subsim: I'm looking forward to starting new campaigns in both tomorrow! :ping:

Thanks, Guys! :shucks:

ChristopherT

Glad I could help you.

So you like DOSBox? :D