SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   SH5 Mods Workshop (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=249)
-   -   [REL]The Wolves of Steel - SH5 Megamod (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=210703)

fitzcarraldo 10-23-18 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fifi (Post 2573757)
+1 i agree for the add on mod. It’s not easy at all to keep deep depth level while trying to escape depth charges. It’s already enough hard IMHO :yep:

While we are at future TWOS improvements, something is missing also i think.
When very bad sea, the in-bord camera should move a little more, not to say a lot more.
Of what i’ve Read, in real patrols testimonies, when sub was sailing surfaced in bad weather, it was really moving all over the place. Sailors were even sea sick!
They had to dive at least at 40m to take some rest...
Don’t know if it’s feasible but could be nice.
Only for 10 to 15 m/s maybe...
:salute:

I tried the Hurricane submod addon from Dyn Environment and the boat moves a lot, and it seems is compatible with TWoS. Not ever I use it, but is fun with storm and 15 mts sea.

Fitzcarraldo :Kaleun_Salute:

gap 10-23-18 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fifi (Post 2573475)
I think removing the SH5 morale doesn’t really affect realism.

Keaping up the crew morale by cook’s food was a good idea, but the cook is loosing 1 point each time...hence very limited morale boost.
When asking chief to hurry repairs, without morale points it’s impossible.
Flooding as well, and when it’s a matter of life and death, in real life, even a demoralized chief would do the best he could to not die!
But i think Vecko has understood this :yep:

The morale stuff is existing in SH5 just to give us some extra activity (as others SH)
In reality, there was not morale influence in submariners job or very little.
They were doing their best to stay alive, even eating crappy food, and never refused Kaleun’s orders. Their best to sink as much tonnage as they could.
How many patrols were back without any kills? Plenty. And the crew was always there doing their best!
Not happy in the U-Boot warfare? Transfert to the East Front infantry :D

Realism (if any playing it on PC!) is more a matter of Real nav mod, no visible contacts Etc...
Just my opinion.

Without morale system, the player could make patrols to last forever as long as he can find friendly bases to refit from, and crew to be as efficient after three or four months spent at sea in a row, as at day #1. In my opinion, this would be an even worse immersion breaker than crew and officers refusing at times to accomplish orders because of an uncareful morale management.

Like it or not, morale status has an important role, both in real life and for game mechanics. In game, we can mitigate the effect of morale points on crew efficency, change some phrases and avoid as much as possible that one of our orders gets totally disattended, but giving up the morale factor at all, imho would be a bad mistake.

Tonci87 10-23-18 12:37 PM

^ Agree

gap 10-23-18 01:18 PM

Add to my previous remarks that SH5 morale points represent not only the morale status of our crew, but also their fatigue, Vecko or some other modder correct me if I am wrong on that.

Fatigue is something that can't be ignored, no matter how diciplinate you are, or if the situation is a matter of life and death, and removing its simulation from game is not a good idea even though, indeed, insubordination and total inactivity are something that I wouldn't expect even from the most worn out cabin boy, let alone an officer lol... there must be a compromise between the two extremes :hmm2:

Tonci87 10-23-18 01:18 PM

^Agree again

gap 10-23-18 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tonci87 (Post 2573778)
^ Agree

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tonci87 (Post 2573787)
^Agree again

Thank you Sir :salute:

Fifi 10-23-18 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gap (Post 2573773)
Without morale system, the player could make patrols to last forever as long as he can find friendly bases to refit from, and crew to be as efficient after three or four months spent at sea in a row, as at day #1. In my opinion, this would be an even worse immersion breaker than crew and officers refusing at times to accomplish orders because of an uncareful morale management.

Didn’t thought about this point. That makes sense :up:

It needs only a fine tune up, quite subtil, so that orders could still be given (and not refused) but maybe they could take longer to execute in regard of fatigue/morale :hmmm:

Tonci87 10-23-18 01:39 PM

I think one issue is that currently there is not much apart from fuel load and number of torpedoes that makes the player go back to port. Crew fatigue is just an additional way to mitigate that.
Imagine if you had to return to port eventually because you are running out of fresh water or food. That would be quite nice.

Clyde00 10-23-18 02:44 PM

Missing Easy Nav and low realism options screenies....

Checked and added.

Options disabled in map options. No click on sub or navigator plot course.

It worked in the previous version, just not the new download. Tried again last night with fresh install of both. Set permissions and admin rights again. No luck. Is enabled in the TDW options, but not all are enabled in the game.
Hope this explains a bit better. Am puzzled. No other mods JSGME enabled except the TWOS Parts Neutral Illuminated, Food stocks mods.

I can multi SH% install though, keep the new version of TWOS for me, and the old one for her so she can play easily, but alot of HDD space :D

EDIT: Problem solved with a new install of Steam SH5. Comparison of DVD and Steam showed changed files left over from JSGME various backups and xfers over the years.

vdr1981 10-23-18 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clyde00 (Post 2573802)
...No other mods JSGME enabled except the TWOS Parts Neutral Illuminated, Food stocks mods.

And Real Navigation? Right? :hmm2:
Disable this addon and missing "easy" options will appear...:yep:

Clyde00 10-23-18 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vdr1981 (Post 2573804)
And Real Navigation? Right? :hmm2:
Disable this addon and missing "easy" options will appear...:yep:

Gotcha! ;)

Ordered and D/L Steam SH5 version and all is well :) Can just JSGME switch out real nav and a TDW setting for when she plays ;) BTW Steam installer worked flawlessly for the mod. No troubles.

Thanx:Kaleun_Salute:

Fifi 10-24-18 08:19 AM

Tried to launch my last torpedo on a big merchant...i knew i couldn’t sink it right away with only one, so i decided to ask for a pre-heat one :hmmm:

Vecko, to make sure, do we have to wait for the up right icon to end before launching? Or can we launch torpedo as soon as the icon is on?

I waited for the icon to end (seems logical to me) and launched...i hit, but with a dud :timeout:
It’s noticed that if we pre-heat, the torpedo has greater chance to be dud...is it why i got one?

vdr1981 10-24-18 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fifi (Post 2573912)
Tried to launch my last torpedo on a big merchant...i knew i couldn’t sink it right away with only one, so i decided to ask for a pre-heat one :hmmm:

Vecko, to make sure, do we have to wait for the up right icon to end before launching? Or can we launch torpedo as soon as the icon is on?

I waited for the icon to end (seems logical to me) and launched...i hit, but with a dud :timeout:
It’s noticed that if we pre-heat, the torpedo has greater chance to be dud...is it why i got one?

The ability is active right away and it will last only while the icon in upper right corner is active (a bit dumb , I know, but that's how it is)...:doh:

Same goes for careful radiomen (or to say better "fast telegraphists" :hmm:) ability and pretty much all others...:yep:

SPOILER: "dud" warning in the description is "fake", but don't tell anyone...:)

But, I have a big dilemma should I leave pre-heat ability available because I really don't like the fact that even steam torpedo will gain range bonus from it. The percentage values are not so high, but again, it still bothers me...:hmmm:

I have already removed torpedo damage related passive and active abilities even though I used quite minuscule bonuses so far . They were too unrealistic honestly.

But, I've added instead new "Speed up those boys Kurt, damn it!" special ability . Depending of his moral/efficiency /restfulness points (call it what ever you like), Kurt will take a whip or silently say "I am doing my best Captain..." without any "No, No" animations...:)

vdr1981 10-24-18 10:56 AM

I will also try to fix those depth keeping problems for you guys. May not be so straight forward because this is old SH5 problem. :yep:

I just came from the work so my "moral points" are bit low now, so maybe this evening or tomorrow at most. :yep: I have to ask my wife for "special meal"! Let's just hope she'll not decide to use "crew maintenance" instead... What ever...Just not "active propaganda"...:o

fitzcarraldo 10-24-18 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vdr1981 (Post 2573944)
I will also try to fix those depth keeping problems for you guys. May not be so straight forward because this is old SH5 problem. :yep:

I just came from the work so my "moral points" are bit low now, so maybe this evening or tomorrow at most. :yep: I have to ask my wife for "special meal"! Let's just hope she'll not decide to use "crew maintenance" instead... What ever...Just not "active propaganda"...:o

Sounds very good! I hope your wife obbeys all the orders with high morale.:Kaleun_Wink:

Many thanks!

Fitzcarraldo :Kaleun_Salute: