SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   2010 Subsim Meet (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=247)
-   -   Pear Harbor, Hawaii 2011??? (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=176239)

Lurchi 10-30-10 01:07 AM

Well, if you ask this way then ... no!

The last time i was there ~20 years ago during a school trip. I think we were there for about 5 hours and i missed large parts of it - especially the WW1 trench scene. You need at least 2 days and if you add the HMS Belfast and Airforce part in Duxford you can spend almost a week.

Herr-Berbunch 10-30-10 06:31 AM

I went to The World Museum in Liverpool a couple of years ago, and it's much smaller that IWM, and I could've gone back the next day to catch up with everything I'd missed on day one. I agree that just those three could easily take a week, if Pompey is included then make it longer! :yep:

Jimbuna 10-30-10 08:18 AM

Well then...back to the OP....anyone for Pearl Harbour?

Sailor Steve 10-30-10 11:01 AM

I'm up for either location, but...

Given my track record for the last two years I'd probably best not commit until very late in the game. I'll almost certainly have the money, but the time is very questionable.

Gerald 10-30-10 11:04 AM

What time would be up to date, in terms of meeting..

Jimbuna 10-30-10 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sailor Steve (Post 1525191)
I'm up for either location, but...

Given my track record for the last two years I'd probably best not commit until very late in the game. I'll almost certainly have the money, but the time is very questionable.

Guilty of the above myself Steve but if it does turn out to be London then all well and good....at least the natives will understand some parts of my accent :O:

Bas Langenhof 10-31-10 12:30 PM

We talked about it this last meet,so london would be a good one for me next year. :)

Carotio 10-31-10 05:47 PM

I have an idea, just in case economy plays a significant large role again next year, given that we have the global financial crisis and all.

This year, I have the impression not all of those who initially intended to attend did attend in the end, even though a lot did cast a vote for New London (instead of the other 3 or 4 suggestions in the States: Chicago etc). I have to say, I was one of them.

If I had the money, and if I could spend the time, I would have come, but I couldn't, and I think others had the same problem in the end.

Then now, I just got an unusual idea: how about two meetings at the same time? One in Pearl Harbour and one in London.
I know it would be much more fun to have a lot of people meet at the same place, but if economy plays a significant large role again next year, then just think about it. As an alternative. And photos from both meet events can still be shared through the forum...

So anyone like the idea?

August 10-31-10 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carotio (Post 1525945)
I have an idea, just in case economy plays a significant large role again next year, given that we have the global financial crisis and all.

This year, I have the impression not all of those who initially intended to attend did attend in the end, even though a lot did cast a vote for New London (instead of the other 3 or 4 suggestions in the States: Chicago etc). I have to say, I was one of them.

If I had the money, and if I could spend the time, I would have come, but I couldn't, and I think others had the same problem in the end.

Then now, I just got an unusual idea: how about two meetings at the same time? One in Pearl Harbour and one in London.
I know it would be much more fun to have a lot of people meet at the same place, but if economy plays a significant large role again next year, then just think about it. As an alternative. And photos from both meet events can still be shared through the forum...

So anyone like the idea?

I wouldn't favor having two separate meets just for general purposes and you may not realize this but it's probably cheaper for most folks in the continental US to fly to England than it would be to Honolulu.

Jimbuna 11-01-10 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by August (Post 1526035)
I wouldn't favor having two separate meets just for general purposes and you may not realize this but it's probably cheaper for most folks in the continental US to fly to England than it would be to Honolulu.

Agreed...see #32

nikimcbee 11-01-10 08:01 PM

In all seriousness, if we do the UK, where could we stay that would be low cost? Price could be a big issue for me for this one.

Sailor Steve 11-01-10 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nikimcbee (Post 1526788)
In all seriousness, if we do the UK, where could we stay that would be low cost? Price could be a big issue for me for this one.

Don't be ridiculous. Just sell some of that gold you're wearing.

August 11-01-10 11:15 PM

Quote:

Yeah I can see that with the extra 3000 miles to travel.

What about doing what the Brits call caravaning? Can campers be rented?

krashkart 11-02-10 02:38 AM

Quote:

Jim's lawn. :O: Subsim block party!! :woot::haha:

Herr-Berbunch 11-02-10 03:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by August (Post 1526950)
Yeah I can see that with the extra 3000 miles to travel.

What about doing what the Brits call caravaning? Can campers be rented?

Yep, just go to a camp site, tell them you want to camp as a rent boy :har:

We can find cheapish accommodation but doubt it'll be a big swanky motel - it's all relative, I suppose.:) Youth Hostel? (it's only a name, age doesn't really come in to it!)