SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   Silent Hunter III (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=182)
-   -   Tell us what you are upto in your current campaign (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=151090)

Snestorm 07-28-11 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Riley (Post 1715020)
Bloody hell,almost 100,000 views to my prestigious thread! I am becoming famous...finally :D

Best thread on the board.

ijnfleetadmiral 07-29-11 12:27 AM

OLzS Suckel and U-209 departed on their 15th patrol on 8 February 1941 out of St. Nazaire. They returned ten days later, having sunk 8 ships for 43,124 tons. Upon return to port, OLzS Suckel and crew were transferred from the 7th Flotilla at St. Nazaire to the 2nd Flotilla at Lorient, where they assumed control of Type IXB U-107.

Can't wait for patrols at long distances!

sublynx 07-29-11 12:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ijnfleetadmiral (Post 1715705)
Now, my fellow U-boat skippers, I need some advice...where's the best place to find Troop Transports and / or Passenger Liners?

I once saw two Troop transports in a small convoy of 5 - 6 ships during the Norway campaign in 1940 obviously carrying British or French troops to Norway, which I thought was a very nice touch by the GWX developers. I think you might find troop transports elsewhere in similar situations - near Dunkirk in 1940, in Morocco 1942 in Sicily 1943, etc. I have never seen a lone troop transport or passenger liner yet.

Good hunting :arrgh!:

sublynx 07-29-11 12:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iron Budokan (Post 1715710)
I can already hear the crack of the small caliber pistol behind my right ear.... :wah:

P.S. to Ijnfleetadmiral: It's very frustrating, but that's why I love the game so much! :D

There's a saying that war is cruel and cavalry ruthless - stuff happens. I'm sure Onkel Karl will consider your past achievements and let you sail again. :salute: What a patrol, though!!

And yeah, about the frustrating bit - that's why we all love the game :yeah:

sublynx 07-29-11 12:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snestorm (Post 1715736)

I second that. The thread is absolutely great, so thanks Paul for getting the idea and starting it :woot:

ijnfleetadmiral 07-29-11 12:59 AM

Like I said, I've seen a passenger liner one time, and she was in a convoy. The set-up was perfect...ideal range, perfect angle on target, torpedoes (at that point I had a full load) set at depth for mortal wounds. Check plot once more to find...she's a freaking neutral!!!:wah::wah::wah::damn::damn::damn:

So I switched targets and wound up knocking off two T3 Tankers instead. A nice haul nonetheless, but I still would've loved sinking that liner.

-Matt

sublynx 07-29-11 01:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ijnfleetadmiral (Post 1715812)
Like I said, I've seen a passenger liner one time, and she was in a convoy. The set-up was perfect...ideal range, perfect angle on target, torpedoes (at that point I had a full load) set at depth for mortal wounds. Check plot once more to find...she's a freaking neutral!!!:wah::wah::wah::damn::damn::damn:

So I switched targets and wound up knocking off two T3 Tankers instead. A nice haul nonetheless, but I still would've loved sinking that liner.

-Matt

One of the two passenger lines I've sunk was quite the opposite: the liner was the only enemy ship sailing in a convoy of neutrals, near Freetown.

The fact that the only liner you've yet seen was a neutral liner and you had to experience the frustration, only makes it feel a lot more satisfying when you finally see and sink your first enemy liner :arrgh!:

ijnfleetadmiral 07-29-11 02:28 AM

U-107 departed Lorient on her first patrol. After completing patrol of assigned grid, headed south for Gibraltar in hopes of FINALLY catching something big with lots of armor.

Spent the better part of three days creeping through the Straits to arrive off the main harbor just before dawn. Raised periscope for a look, with all fingers and toes crossed that there would be AT LEAST a CL at anchor there, just waiting to be sunk.

What greets me? A T2 tanker and a Coastal Merchant! In the words of a frustrated officer who has yet to see a warship bigger than a Tribal-class DD,
WTF?!:damn::damn::damn::damn::damn:

Quit and went back to earlier time in same patrol, before I was stupid enough to try and sneak into Gibraltar for what proved to be no f**king reason at all. :damn::damn::damn:

Snestorm 07-29-11 02:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ijnfleetadmiral (Post 1715806)
OLzS Suckel and U-209 departed on their 15th patrol on 8 February 1941 out of St. Nazaire. They returned ten days later, having sunk 8 ships for 43,124 tons. Upon return to port, OLzS Suckel and crew were transferred from the 7th Flotilla at St. Nazaire to the 2nd Flotilla at Lorient, where they assumed control of Type IXB U-107.

Can't wait for patrols at long distances!

Welcome to Lorient, from U109.

ijnfleetadmiral 07-29-11 02:58 AM

Thanks...here's hoping to many successes!

-Matt

ijnfleetadmiral 07-29-11 05:58 AM

U-107 has returned from her best patrol yet...17 ships (including 4 fleet DDs) sunk for 65,983 tons! Upon returning to base, I dismissed my officers so they can take command of their own boats.

NOTE: I installed the modified ranks like it said, but even after this great a patrol, I didn't get promoted. Any ideas as to why?

ALSO: Anyone know how to modify the game so you can promote NCOs to Officer and Enlisted to NCOs?

-OLzS Matthias Suckel
Knight's Cross with Golden Oak Leaves, Swords, & Diamonds
480,461 tons sunk

Paul Riley 07-29-11 08:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snestorm (Post 1715736)

:up:

Paul Riley 07-29-11 08:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sublynx (Post 1715811)
I second that. The thread is absolutely great, so thanks Paul for getting the idea and starting it :woot:

:up:

Kaptain Schlag 07-29-11 02:23 PM

New Career

Erwin Benner, 51% realism, could be higher but want visual perks + can't do manual targeting yet

1st flotilla type VIIB, U-48

1st patrol, Sept 1st 1939

Left Kiel on the first, and set sail for AN52. Patrolled AN52 for half a day without incident, then proceeded into the channel leading to firth of forth at night.
Found a V & W destroyer which got destroyed by 1 T1 torpedo to the side.

Then left for open waters. Sailed up and down the British coast for several days sinking a coastal merchant with 1 88mm shell :yep:, a small merchant with 1 T1 and around 10 88 mm shells.

Got news of a TF leaving Scapa but was too far away to engage.

Set sail for east entrance into Scapa for a raid, on the way sunk a large merchant with 3 T1's. (1 on magnetic setting bounced of bottom of hull).

Proceeded to enter Scapa successfully, but did not engage any targets because of little value.

returned to port safely.

4 ships sunk for ~10K tonnes.

Gerald 07-29-11 02:30 PM

:salute: