SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   SH5 Mods Workshop (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=249)
-   -   [REL]The Wolves of Steel - SH5 Megamod (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=210703)

Sjizzle 03-15-16 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by siege00 (Post 2389560)
I use the observation scope with real navigation to determine close to exact position when navigating near identifiable land masses. ie. When penetrating scapa flow, RN was pretty far off - at least I thought. I was able to confirm my position and estimate how long it would take me to penetrate the harbor without having to pop up the scope too often. This was done using the degree marks on both periscopes, ie. land mass on the right was 10° to starboard while identifiable land mass on the left was 25° to port. Drew the lines, after calculating True Bearing to each, and voila, I've got my location.

there u can use the running fix to find your location :D

palmic 03-15-16 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by siege00 (Post 2389560)
I use the observation scope with real navigation to determine close to exact position when navigating near identifiable land masses. ie. When penetrating scapa flow, RN was pretty far off - at least I thought. I was able to confirm my position and estimate how long it would take me to penetrate the harbor without having to pop up the scope too often. This was done using the degree marks on both periscopes, ie. land mass on the right was 10° to starboard while identifiable land mass on the left was 25° to port. Drew the lines, after calculating True Bearing to each, and voila, I've got my location.

I use most likely celestial fixes and manual calculations by captain's travel log (Q), if there was not a lot of maneuvers. If i cannot estimate, i use dead reconing by navigator, but its very inaccurate..

Your method seems cool to me too :salute:

vdr1981 03-15-16 10:32 AM

Guys, dont forget that you can use "C" key to reposition your nav fixes and therefor help your navigator... Dead reckoning accumulated error can be corrected quite easily IF you have some landmark in sight...If not, well, then open four eyes and 10kn at max with minimal TC...:yep:

palmic 03-15-16 11:39 AM

I always fixes my position by C (well i did not know about this shortcut, i used pencil :-) ) when i calculate one :salute:
+ i nerfed down max TC to 128 and its much better for me, i still had no lagging exploit when "something" is around :)

BTW: ****! i want that avatar out, keeping posting! :o

UPDATE: now i have different :)

Hoster1472 03-15-16 04:09 PM

stock faces

Hi,
i want to get rid of the stock faces, instead I prefer the alt faces of the mighty fine crew mod. i don`t want to make big changes to the WOTS mod so I transfered the image files from the Mighty fine crew mod :data\menu\scripts\german\gui\crew directly to to sh5 main folder but nothing happens. So were are the image files for the crew installed? Is there a way to switch the ugly stock faces without messing the whole mod up? Thanks for tips.

siege00 03-15-16 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vdr1981 (Post 2389588)
Guys, dont forget that you can use "C" key to reposition your nav fixes and therefor help your navigator... Dead reckoning accumulated error can be corrected quite easily IF you have some landmark in sight...If not, well, then open four eyes and 10kn at max with minimal TC...:yep:

Thanks for the advice Vecko. I wondered if position fixes by RN would compound errors. I keep it going pretty regularly with Position on Patrol script and would dump bad ones.

Does SH5 simulate drift and currents? Because if not, I could help RN on the open seas where it really gets bad sometimes by dead reckoning my own route?

Thanks!

siege00 03-15-16 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by palmic (Post 2389600)
I always fixes my position by C (well i did not know about this shortcut, i used pencil :-) ) when i calculate one :salute:
+ i nerfed down max TC to 128 and its much better for me, i still had no lagging exploit when "something" is around :)

BTW: ****! i want that avatar out, keeping posting! :o

LOL! "One night in Bangkok makes a hard man humble..." Every sailor's got one of those stories. ;)

palmic 03-16-16 05:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LesBaker (Post 2389532)
This is from the documentation in TWOS.

Range estimation
================
Binoculars and scopes have milliradian scales that allow to estimate/measure distances: "10" on the attack scope corresponds to "100" on the observation scope and represents roughly 100 milliradians (~5.73 degrees at low power magnification, at high power it's 4 times less: 25 milliradians or ~1.43 degrees).
One large mark on the binoculars represents roughly 10 milliradians (~0.573 degrees).
The markings are used as follows: given a target of height H that takes up M markings, its range R can be calculated:
R = H*k/M
where k is:
- 100 for attack scope low power and binoculars
- 400 for attack scope high power
- 1000 for observation scope low power
- 4000 for observation scope high power
Example:
Imagine you're observing a Liberty Cargo (mast height ~26m) through an observation scope at high power and ship's mast reaches "100" mark. Then the range will be:
26 * 4000 / 100 = 26 * 40 = 1040 meters
If you'd go up to conning tower and observe the ship through attack scope now (don't forget high power), its mast will reach "10" mark. Let's check the range:
26 * 400 / 10 = 26 * 40 = 1040 meters
RAOBF should give you something close to this value (between "10" and "11" on the range ring).
If you now surface and observe the target through your binoculars, it will take up 2.5 marks:
26 * 100 / 2.5 = 1040 meters
Mental rule for k:
"Normally x100, additional 0 for observation scope, additional x4 for high power magnification" ;)
Take note that horizontal scale on the observation periscope is in degrees. I don't know for sure why that is, and the sources are scarce, but I believe this could be helpful for navigation and for estimating target's angular size i.e. to set salvo spread angle.

Les

Where can i find this documentation? I tried even to search for strings from this post in TWOS files by total commander and found nothing..

oscar19681 03-16-16 07:27 AM

Dive planes

Question, when i click the LI and click manual dive planes the auto dive planes remain highlighted. Whats the trick to manually operate them?

vdr1981 03-16-16 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oscar19681 (Post 2389850)
Question, when i click the LI and click manual dive planes the auto dive planes remain highlighted. Whats the trick to manually operate them?

There is no trick if you have properly activated gen.patcher and the snapshot? Did you?:hmm2:

EDIT:

http://s6.postimg.org/8sxmoeei5/SH5_...6_14_51_52.jpg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Inzh39SQtTY

vdr1981 03-16-16 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by palmic (Post 2389821)
Where can i find this documentation? I tried even to search for strings from this post in TWOS files by total commander and found nothing..

I think it's from "Large Optics" documentation folder...

palmic 03-16-16 02:19 PM

nice one, i was searching in 07 update, thats why i did not find it :)
Thanks again :up:

oscar19681 03-16-16 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vdr1981 (Post 2389871)
There is no trick if you have properly activated gen.patcher and the snapshot? Did you?:hmm2:

EDIT:

http://s6.postimg.org/8sxmoeei5/SH5_...6_14_51_52.jpg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Inzh39SQtTY

I installed with gen mod enabler in this order.

Wolves of steel 1.05
Wolves of steel update no-8
Wolves of steel real navigation
Wolves of steel resolution patch 8x5
Submarine fluctuate more powerfull mod for Wolves of steel

I get the diveplane logo,s but not dails. If i click for or af manual dive Control only the automatic dive plane logo,s remain highlighted on diveplane zero degrees logo,s are blacked out

Raven1976 03-16-16 05:49 PM

Hello guys i have a question: After you finish your patrol and return to your homeport how do you dock? I cant see any docking button (the one with the anchor).
I tried shift-z but nothing happened. Is there another button for this?

THEBERBSTER 03-16-16 06:11 PM

Hi Vecko
I have the same problem again as I had back in September 2015
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...postcount=2644

i thought I would give Real Navigation another go after seeing the new Hawaiian_Hero tutorial.
I have done a re-install but have a problem with getting Real Navigation to show.
The Real Navigation mod is from patch no.8.

Generic Mod Enabler - v2.6.0.157
[D:\Ubisoft\Silent Hunter 5\MODS]
1. The Wolves of Steel 1.05
2. The Wolves of Steel 1.05 - Update 08
3. The Wolves of Steel 1.05 - Real Navigation_by TheDarkWraith

Shows correctly on the map when your old v1.04 fix is enabled.

Generic Mod Enabler - v2.6.0.157
[D:\Ubisoft\Silent Hunter 5\MODS]

1. The Wolves of Steel 1.05
2. The Wolves of Steel 1.05 - Update 08
The Wolves of Steel 1.04 - Real Navigation_by TheDarkWraith

Hope you will be able to update a new fix for v1.05 for me.

Quite right Vecko, overthought the issue, now ok.
Thanks for putting me on the right path

Peter