SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   PC Hardware/Software forum (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=235)
-   -   Anyone got 7 yet? (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=157546)

Onkel Neal 10-22-09 09:33 PM

Anyone got 7 yet?

Anyone? If so, how? New computer with 7 installed? Upgrade from Vista? Any XP converts to 7?

Arclight 10-22-09 11:53 PM

I will be moving to 7 from XP, but I'll stick with the RC till it reaches end of life, and then buy... probably Proffesional edition (do clean install). Been using Win7 since beta was released though.

Dowly 10-23-09 12:03 AM

Been using one of the first RCs all this time. Went from XP to 7. Definitely going to buy it when it's been out for sometime. So far been extremely happy with it, not that Vista BS that I had to endure when I tried it. :salute:

Wolfehunter 10-23-09 10:36 AM

Already have it. :yeah:

longam 10-23-09 01:07 PM

Been running RTM since its release

bert8for3 10-24-09 06:06 AM

Thinking about it (on XP now).

Main pro for me is being able to use more than the 3.25 Gig of ram that XP recognizes.

But concerns (although noting a good many positive reports on Win7) remain:
1. Stability and compatibility with existing progs/drivers etc
2. Will it run sh3? That's fundamental for me, as I expect to be playing sh3 for a while still. Even when sh5 rolls out, chances are I will still play sh3 also pending patches/mods for sh5. Do I have it right that you would have to run Win7 on 32-bit presumably to play sh3, which if I have it right means not more than the 3.25 Gig ram situation anyway? I know there's the XP mode, but I don't know enought about it at this point to figure out if ok to go with Win7.
3. And then other apps anyway, which afaik are all 32-bit.

Hopefully I'm totally wrong about the 32-bit thing, which I've never really understood.

ajrimmer42 10-24-09 06:19 AM

I've been runnin the 64 bit RC for a while, really pleased with it. I first installed just after it's release but for some reason I found it slowed my PC down, actually to the point where it was unusable, I went back to Xp but told myself i wasn't going to give up on it as I liked it quite a lot. Anyway, a few weeks ago I installed it again and have had no problems whatsoever with it, in fact everythings fast as hell, even my internet seems faster... I'll almost certainly be buying it when the RC ends. It's what Vista should have been.

McBeck 10-24-09 11:09 AM

Hve run RC1 since its release (came from XP) and will buy it when this one reaches EOF :D

CaptainHaplo 10-24-09 11:38 AM

I have it - but haven't installed yet. Really trying to decide WHICH machine I want to put it on.

Bert - yes 7 will run SH3. The RC's did fine with it.

As long as your not using ungodly old hardware (Like a sounblaster live card) you should not have an issue with drivers.

Just figure out what you need drivers for, check and see if there are any Win7 versions available from the manufacturer.

The only thing I am not confident in with Win7 - the "add on" that supposedly provides 16 bit support with the 64bit version of 7.

Task Force 10-24-09 11:41 AM

Ill move to 7 when I feel like it... Really depends on how much it will cost, if it cost an arm and a leg, for the 64 bit version... ill wate...

SeaWolf U-57 10-24-09 04:37 PM

I purchased the upgrade pack and this contained both the 32bit and 64bit disk
and yes it installed and verified so I am using the 64bit version. :up:

Task Force 10-24-09 04:40 PM

Hmm, the big question, how much will W7 cost...

SeaWolf U-57 10-24-09 04:46 PM

Take a look here.....http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/sto...&show_all=true

:salute:

Red Heat 10-24-09 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaptainHaplo (Post 1194056)
I have it - but haven't installed yet. Really trying to decide WHICH machine I want to put it on.

Bert - yes 7 will run SH3. The RC's did fine with it.

As long as your not using ungodly old hardware (Like a sounblaster live card) you should not have an issue with drivers.

Just figure out what you need drivers for, check and see if there are any Win7 versions available from the manufacturer.

The only thing I am not confident in with Win7 - the "add on" that supposedly provides 16 bit support with the 64bit version of 7.

Well...if there isnt any kind of problem to run sh3 gwx its a very good start for me, because i want to change from winxp to win7. Another question its about the soundcard...may be it will be a problem to use old soundcards with win7...but if i am using for ex: the last generation of a soundcard the problem remains or not?...sound by hardware still a option or the future is only onboard sound only?

Thanks in advance... :salute:

CaptainHaplo 10-24-09 08:57 PM

Well onboard sound really has improved in the last 5 years. If your using a Creative Labs board - AKA sounblaster - check here to see if your can use it with Win 7.

http://support.creative.com/kb/showarticle.aspx?sid=61105

Onboard will be supported out of the box without question and usually is good enough for the average ganer, but each person has their own important things, so if you feel you get better quality out of a card, go for it.

I do have to say that both SH3 and SH4 had problems with audio "tearing" on my rig with XP. I kept my SB Live card forever only to use the gameport, then finally went USP for the joystick, and out the card came. Still, that is a pretty old card, so no big suprise. I can't recommend if one is worth it or not because I don't use one anymore. If I did alot of audio stuff I probably would want one. Just not my thing. Maybe one of the other folks on here with more knowledge can fill you in on the pro's and cons a little more.