SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   SH5 Mods Workshop (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=249)
-   -   [REL]The Wolves of Steel - SH5 Megamod (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=210703)

Tonci87 07-23-19 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vdr1981 (Post 2619848)
I did some further testing and it seems that many of mentioned 13 ship types are actually missing bones for SS guns and ship horns even though they have been properly set in corresponding eqp files. :hmmm:
I will fix this in the next update which is almost ready. :yep: I'm going to rename unused hydrophone and sonar bones for merchants (they don't need them) and use them as new bones for SS and horns dummy guns...:yep: I'll also add missing reflector bones for some merchants ect...
Still fixing modder's oversights even after all these years...:) :subsim::salute:

That sounds awesome, the next update is promising to be very nice :Kaleun_Salute:

kapuhy 07-24-19 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vdr1981 (Post 2619848)
next update which is almost ready. :yep:

Made my day :up:

Speaking of further updates, I did some googling on composition of various navies during WW2. Below (spoiler tags in order not to clog the thread) are some suggestions based on what I found, with links to websites I found info on - perhaps they might be of use to you:

Albania:
REMOVE: Armed Trawler: Albania was conquered and annexed by Italy in April 1939. While Italians created a puppet Albanian state, Albanian navy was abolished and their military incorporated into Italian forces. As such, no warships should be flying Albanian ensign (which is a post-war ensign btw) during WW2. I have no sources on civilian ships, they might have kept Albanian flag or just sail under Italian flag.

Australia:
ADD: London CA class: A ship of this class was given to Australian navy in 1943.

China:
ADD: Junk, Sampan, Large Sampan: these traditional fishing vessels were as popular in China as in Japan, in fact both ship designs originate from China. It's only fair to add them to Chinese roster as well (Photo - Sampans and junks in Hong Kong harbour, around 1920)
REMOVE: VW DD
ADD: Medium Gunboat, Small Gunboat, and perhaps Kriegsfischkutter:
While China had destroyers and cruisers in interwar period, by 1939 they were either sunk or captured by Japanese, and what remained in service were mostly old river and coastal gunboats or MTBs. Antiquated-looking gunboats we have in Japan's roster would be a better choice to represent Chinese navy than VW DD which China never used. Source

Finland
ADD: PTElco clone: Finland used a number of MTB's in Baltic: italian built MAS or British Thornycroft MTBs. While not exactly an Elco, they were similar enough for Elco to stand in for them quite accurately: Ship list, Photo, Photo2

Free Norway
ADD:Flower, Town. REMOVE: VW: Free Norway Navy currently has only VW DD and U class sub in its warship roster. Historically, during WW2 Norway forces fighting alongside Royal Navy were equipped by British and Americans with, among other ships: 6 Flower Corvettes and 6 Town Class DDs. Replacing VW type (which Norway did not use) with those ships would make Free Norway both more accurate and diverse. Source

Free Poland
ADD: U-Class: Polish Navy fighting alongside RN during WW2 had 2 U-Class subs: ORP Sokol and ORP Dzik, which proved very effective in the Med.

India:
REMOVE: VW DD, ADD: Black Swan, Flower, River. List of Royal Indian Navy ships available here doesn't include any destroyers at all, but it does include 4 River class frigates, 7 Black Swan sloops and a single Flower corvette.

Italy
ADD: PTElco clone: Italy widely used MAS MTBs (photo1) (photo2) in Mediterranean campaigns. Elco is similar enough to MAS to stand in for them nicely (perhaps with different camouflage). Ideally, stripping 2 out of 4 torpedo racks would also give them historical capabilities (all MAS I can find on photos seem to have 2 torpedo racks only)

Nicaragua:
REMOVE: Armed Trawler. Navy of Nicaragua was not formed until 1980. There are mentions of some patrol boats being used by Niacarguan National Guard in 1970s but no sources I've found mention any warships whatsoever in Nicaraguan service during WW2.

Panama:
REMOVE: VW, Armed Trawler: Panama's Navy was not estabilished until 1964. As such, any warships under flag of Panama are historically incorrect.

vdr1981 07-25-19 12:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kapuhy (Post 2620071)
Made my day :up:

Speaking of further updates, I did some googling on composition of various navies during WW2. Below (spoiler tags in order not to clog the thread) are some suggestions based on what I found, with links to websites I found info on - perhaps they might be of use to you:

Albania:
REMOVE: Armed Trawler: Albania was conquered and annexed by Italy in April 1939. While Italians created a puppet Albanian state, Albanian navy was abolished and their military incorporated into Italian forces. As such, no warships should be flying Albanian ensign (which is a post-war ensign btw) during WW2. I have no sources on civilian ships, they might have kept Albanian flag or just sail under Italian flag.

Australia:
ADD: London CA class: A ship of this class was given to Australian navy in 1943.

China:
ADD: Junk, Sampan, Large Sampan: these traditional fishing vessels were as popular in China as in Japan, in fact both ship designs originate from China. It's only fair to add them to Chinese roster as well (Photo - Sampans and junks in Hong Kong harbour, around 1920)
REMOVE: VW DD
ADD: Medium Gunboat, Small Gunboat, and perhaps Kriegsfischkutter:
While China had destroyers and cruisers in interwar period, by 1939 they were either sunk or captured by Japanese, and what remained in service were mostly old river and coastal gunboats or MTBs. Antiquated-looking gunboats we have in Japan's roster would be a better choice to represent Chinese navy than VW DD which China never used. Source

Finland
ADD: PTElco clone: Finland used a number of MTB's in Baltic: italian built MAS or British Thornycroft MTBs. While not exactly an Elco, they were similar enough for Elco to stand in for them quite accurately: Ship list, Photo, Photo2

Free Norway
ADD:Flower, Town. REMOVE: VW: Free Norway Navy currently has only VW DD and U class sub in its warship roster. Historically, during WW2 Norway forces fighting alongside Royal Navy were equipped by British and Americans with, among other ships: 6 Flower Corvettes and 6 Town Class DDs. Replacing VW type (which Norway did not use) with those ships would make Free Norway both more accurate and diverse. Source

Free Poland
ADD: U-Class: Polish Navy fighting alongside RN during WW2 had 2 U-Class subs: ORP Sokol and ORP Dzik, which proved very effective in the Med.

India:
REMOVE: VW DD, ADD: Black Swan, Flower, River. List of Royal Indian Navy ships available here doesn't include any destroyers at all, but it does include 4 River class frigates, 7 Black Swan sloops and a single Flower corvette.

Italy
ADD: PTElco clone: Italy widely used MAS MTBs (photo1) (photo2) in Mediterranean campaigns. Elco is similar enough to MAS to stand in for them nicely (perhaps with different camouflage). Ideally, stripping 2 out of 4 torpedo racks would also give them historical capabilities (all MAS I can find on photos seem to have 2 torpedo racks only)

Nicaragua:
REMOVE: Armed Trawler. Navy of Nicaragua was not formed until 1980. There are mentions of some patrol boats being used by Niacarguan National Guard in 1970s but no sources I've found mention any warships whatsoever in Nicaraguan service during WW2.

Panama:
REMOVE: VW, Armed Trawler: Panama's Navy was not estabilished until 1964. As such, any warships under flag of Panama are historically incorrect.

Thanks for your research kapuhy, I'll keep your suggestion in mind for future updates...:yep: Many of the unrealistic appearances from the museum aren't used in the campaign at all. They are just there. I'll see to fix the roster but I'll have to be careful in order not screw up something in the campaign. :yep:

Muckenberg 07-25-19 09:08 AM

Greetings Wolves.
In the attack on the convoy, I noticed one anomaly on the ship. Modern Cargo ship 10 450 GRT has a Kriegsmarine box with a swastika on board.:):)

I am sorry for my English.

vdr1981 07-25-19 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Muckenberg (Post 2620222)
Greetings Wolves.
In the attack on the convoy, I noticed one anomaly on the ship. Modern Cargo ship 10 450 GRT has a Kriegsmarine box with a swastika on board.:):)

I am sorry for my English.

Shhh...Those are captured crates! :)

gclarkso 07-26-19 03:02 PM

Just a thought...

Thoughts on creating several "return to stock" mods for this awesome add-on?

For me I would like to see

1) the original Nav map. Currently, lat/lon numbers aren't easy to see.

2)The Sub Systems page in English. I know this one has been discussed before. Would be great to have a choice.

vdr1981 07-26-19 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gclarkso (Post 2620424)

https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/sho...ostcount=12417 :salute:

boogieman335 07-26-19 10:35 PM

Quote:

2)The Sub Systems page in English. I know this one has been discussed before. Would be great to have a choice.

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...1&postcount=41
This helps some to change the Lat/ Lon numbers to white. And I too wish those numbers were in
a little larger font.:Kaleun_Salute:

Tonci87 07-27-19 01:58 PM

Quote:

If anybody might be kind enough to point me to where the german text is in the game files, I might try to translate it so that VDR can include it in an optional mod.

vdr1981 07-28-19 07:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tonci87 (Post 2620543)
If anybody might be kind enough to point me to where the german text is in the game files, I might try to translate it so that VDR can include it in an optional mod.

Equipment names are located in submarine upcge files but I don't think I'll be adding yet another optional mod for this. It's not a good idea to have standalone mod as well because it will probably become outdated pretty soon and that will create problems...

vdr1981 07-28-19 07:15 AM

New update is ready for download Captains!

TWoS v2.2.14 changelog:

- Added tooltips description how to use built in Navmarks/Supermars functions.
- Updated events.ini file by Tonci87. Corrected Grossdeutscher Rundfunk radio station news broadcast dates trough out the entire war.
- Improved XO TDC dialogs - Auto TDC active/inactive.
- Added missing star shell guns and ship whistles for several merchant types and auxiliary cruisers.
- Added missing search lights for several merchant types and auxiliary cruisers.
- Nation's roster historical fixes as suggested by kapuhy.
- Various "under the hull" campaign file fixes and improvements.
- Ingame TWoS credits page updated with latest outstanding TWoS supporters/donors : Sebastian Loof, Isaac Bordelon and Ernesto Sanchez Lliso. Thank you very much and happy hunting Captains!

Download links are in my signature...

:Kaleun_Salute::Kaleun_Salute::Kaleun_Salute:
Happy hunting!

excel4004 07-28-19 07:22 AM

Again and again.. a very good update! :up:

Thanks to all the people which worked together on this patch! :salute:

Tonci87 07-28-19 07:53 AM

Thank you for another amazing update:Kaleun_Applaud:

By the way, you guys can check the events.ini file in the folder
C:\Games\Silent Hunter 5\data\Sound\Radio\Grossdeutscher Rundfunk\Events

to see when a news event will be played on the radio.

Keep in mind that the start time refers to the time in GMT, not your local time wherever your boat happens to be at that moment. You can see the current time in GMT when you hover your mouse over the digital clock in the upper right corner, or if you click on it. You stopwatch will also show the time in GMT if you are using time compression.

I have actually copied all events files for the radio stations (I have a few additional ones) on my phone in a folder (so that I do not have to ALT-TAB) and I have named them something like GroßDeutRF19410602 which is basically name, year, month, day so that the files will be displayed with the first upcoming event at the top. That way I always know when the next event will be played and I only have to look up the time. I just rename the file according to the next event after one has passed.

Quote:

Originally Posted by vdr1981 (Post 2620617)
Equipment names are located in submarine upcge files but I don't think I'll be adding yet another optional mod for this. It's not a good idea to have standalone mod as well because it will probably become outdated pretty soon and that will create problems...

You are probably right VDR, I thought the names would be in some kind of a localisation file, but they are in the file with all the equipment values. So every time on of those values changes all the work would have to be redone. Honestly guys, you can easily see what each part is by reading a little bit of the parts description. After some time you will also have learned the German names.

If you do not understand at all what a part is supposed to be, then write the name in here and I will try to explain. :salute:

fitzcarraldo 07-28-19 11:07 AM

Thanks for the update! Downloading now.

Best regards.

Fitzcarraldo :Kaleun_Salute:

Tonci87 07-28-19 04:48 PM

I made another tutorial video, this time explaining why your diveplane controllers will get you killed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IrXEyxwmQBg

Enjoy