SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   SH5 Mods Workshop (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=249)
-   -   [REL]The Wolves of Steel - SH5 Megamod (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=210703)

XenonSurf 06-04-19 11:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sputterfish (Post 2612886)
Unfortunately that's not really how it works.. I would take a guess that posting or hosting files with copyrighted content that is being redistributed without permission is against the Subsim terms of service or would be frowned upon. :subsim:

That's is why it's important to include the same functionality Generic Patcher was providing in that it is initiated by the user except the new autopatcher will not require any user input as VDR has a snapshot that he has already configured which will be restored automatically.

I think you misread the copyright law (but there are specific Subsim rules beside that, yes).

First, "files with copyrighted content", as you say, include all files of the game, not just executables. By modding files and posting them you would infringe the (c), which is wrong and makes no sense if the developer has authorized modding with his game. This 'authorization' is implicit if he makes his files editable. Unless I see a contrary statement made at release in the Eula etc., and even in that case, Ubisoft had to protect their files (binary, and crypted which is easy to do to avoid modifications; failing this would be pure negligence if they intended that the game would never be modified; in this case what counts is the absence of adequate measures or a Eula inclusion by Ubisoft).

In conclusion, what you say would be valid only if a file distribution would allow to run a playable game without previously owning the game - clearly illegal and which is not possible with Subsim mods (or my modlist, or TWoS etc), therefore: I understand that there is NO infringement by publishing a mod with executables or dll's in such a restrictive context. The purpose of file distribution is to make the game playable for the owners and not to 'distribute the game'.

But...Back to the TDW Generic Patcher: With or without automation, it's easy enough to run it, you have to make a lot of clicks, but no need to be an expert...Doing it will take 2 minutes, even if you don't know what you do :)
But because I listen to what others say, and what you say, I will think twice before foolishly publishing some files. Thank you for your reply!

XS

vdr1981 06-05-19 02:45 AM

XS please, we are going off topic here. Legal or not , this is not the place to discuss it. Here we have job to do...:yep:

XenonSurf 06-06-19 06:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sputterfish (Post 2612861)
Hey VDR reach out to me before you do a new release. I found a way to automate all the things Generic Patcher does without user input needed. :yeah:

How did you bypass the Generic Patcher to ignore the 'GenericPatcher.cfg' file? The user needs to change this depending on where his game is installed. Can you make this automatic?

Tonci87 06-06-19 02:43 PM

Hi VDR I have three requests for a future update.

1.) Is it possible to reduce the noise of the electric engines when you are at the hydrophone? They seem to be really loud, even at silent running.

2.) My Deck gun crew is terrible at shooting although they have maxed out skills. Their horizontal aim is sometimes of by a shiplenght or two, even in calm seas. I can understand that it is difficult to get the distance to your target right when your gun is bobbing up and down, but to get the direction wrong like that? It seems excessive. Can their horizontal aiming error be lowered a bit?

3.) What would need to be done to make the vertical markings in the UZO usable? Currently they are not suitable to measure the range as you explained in another thread. Can this be corrected?

Thank you.

excel4004 06-08-19 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vdr1981 (Post 2612637)
Removed...They were too repetitive and annoying.

IMO a very good desicion, pls dont bring that sounds back. For the people who liked that stuff, maybe an explanation/soundmod to use them?

excel4004 06-08-19 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vdr1981 (Post 2612580)
I'm preparing new update which will hopefully solve or at least ease some of the issues recently discussed on forums. Here is the change log so far...:yep:

Fell free to jump in with some ideas...:salute:

" Slightly reduced visual sensors difficulty parameters for merchants and warships."

It will be interesting how does it feel in game about balance.

All other fixes sounds very good too! :)

When do you think will the patch be released?

Tonci87 06-08-19 06:16 PM

Hey VDR, is the Radio Station Großdeutscher Rundfunk part of your mod?
The events mostly get played on completely wrong dates, sometimes months before they are due.
If this is part of TWOS, can you say where those files are from so that I can try to track down the actual dates for the news reports?

Is it this one?
Grossdeutscher Rundfunk New Remix 1939-1945
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=210243

I´ll see if I can fix the dates.

fitzcarraldo 06-08-19 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by excel4004 (Post 2613387)
IMO a very good desicion, pls dont bring that sounds back. For the people who liked that stuff, maybe an explanation/soundmod to use them?

I like the sounds but I mean an addon mod, of course.

Regards.

Fitzcarraldo :salute:

vdr1981 06-09-19 06:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tonci87 (Post 2613390)
Is it this one?
Grossdeutscher Rundfunk New Remix 1939-1945
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=210243

I´ll see if I can fix the dates.

Thanks Tonci87.
Anyway I will hardly have time for anything these days, plus it seem that my motherboard is dying off again (constant restarts ect). I'm afraid I'll have to postpone the update for some time... :(

vdr1981 06-11-19 04:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tonci87 (Post 2613148)
Hi VDR I have three requests for a future update.

1.) Is it possible to reduce the noise of the electric engines when you are at the hydrophone? They seem to be really loud, even at silent running.

I don't know how or can this be done at all. I'll put this on my to do list for some future update since I don't have much time these days for detailed file exploration...:yep:

Quote:

2.) My Deck gun crew is terrible at shooting although they have maxed out skills. Their horizontal aim is sometimes of by a shiplenght or two, even in calm seas. I can understand that it is difficult to get the distance to your target right when your gun is bobbing up and down, but to get the direction wrong like that? It seems excessive. Can their horizontal aiming error be lowered a bit?
Random aiming error can not be tweaked. I think this is hard codded or something. What can be done is to slightly increase vertical gun movement speed. I need to think about this solution and test it more. U-boats were very unstable platforms anyway but right now I'm quite satisfied with crew's hit/miss ratio from some normal distance (500-600m) in calm seas.

Quote:

3.) What would need to be done to make the vertical markings in the UZO usable? Currently they are not suitable to measure the range as you explained in another thread. Can this be corrected?

Thank you.
I think that this can be done but I'm not sure that real life UZO binoculars had that kind of markings in the first place? :hmmm:

Sailor Steve 06-11-19 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vdr1981 (Post 2613709)
I think that this can be done but I'm not sure that real life UZO binoculars had that kind of markings in the first place? :hmmm:

They didn't. The UZO was a regular pair of binoculars mounted to a stand. On the other hand the stand had the markings, as you can see when playing, and once the binoculars were sighted on the target the IWO simply had to look down at the markings to get the bearing. Since you can't click a button to do that I don't see any difference between that and just having the markings onscreen.

Tonci87 06-11-19 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sailor Steve (Post 2613766)
They didn't. The UZO was a regular pair of binoculars mounted to a stand. On the other hand the stand had the markings, as you can see when playing, and once the binoculars were sighted on the target the IWO simply had to look down at the markings to get the bearing. Since you can't click a button to do that I don't see any difference between that and just having the markings onscreen.

No, this is not about bearing markings, but about those vertical markings that you can use to measure the mast height.

I had a look on the internet, and it appears as if the UZO only had a vertical line in the reticule. See here:
https://technodocbox.com/Cameras_and...do-firing.html

I guess it was really only intended to give the bearing to the TDC. I wonder though if maybe another instrument was used on the bridge to get the distance to target. maybe a sextant? Or was it really just guesswork?

Thank you for the answers VDR.

I think the vertical error of the gun is quite OK, so I do not think that it is necessary to change the vertical gun movement speed, it is the horizontal aiming error that is the problem :D

XenonSurf 06-13-19 11:39 AM

Suggestion: I would add a notice in the description for those sub systems that could potentially not be repaired while on patrol, but only in a dry dock at port, by reading this we would better understand they remain damaged (and us avoiding to consult the sub systems to see if the system is now repaired).
Something like "The system can only be fully repaired in a sub pen" or similar.

vdr1981 06-15-19 05:36 AM

Version 2.2.13 is ready for download Captains! Links are in my signature...:salute:

https://i.postimg.cc/c19pJDB6/111.jpg

v2.2.13 Changelog

- Polish destroyer ORP Wicher is now accurately represented in game by Bourrasque clone since real ORP Wicher was copy of this French destroyer.
- Fixed occasionally missing "Start of hostilities against Poland" radio messages from the opening stages of Operation Himmler (invasion of Poland).
- Slightly reduced visual sensors difficulty parameters for merchants and warships.
- Reduced skill of Polish Danzing bay taskforces to "average".
- Slightly increased duration of "Disable watch crew reports" WO ability in order to pass unimportant contacts more efficiently and without TC drop.
- F7 key command will now simultaneously activate/deactivate both battlestations level 1 and 2 crew states and also place the guns to neutral positions after the command is disabled.
- Improved numerous tooltip descriptions for various GUI elements and commands in order eliminate players confusion. (travel mode ect)
- Improved tooltip descriptions and instructions for some crew active and passive abilities (Submerged torpedo loading, External torpedo reserves transfer, air purification measures ect).
- Added warning message in the main gameplay settings screen which will note the player that gameplay settings for the ongoing campaign can be manipulated only from the bunker.
- Reworked XO TDC dialog box messages for players who have troubles to understand optional auto TDC procedure in TWoS (XO: Lock target again to calculate auto TDC solution => Auto TDC is active!).
- Ingame TWoS credits page updated with latest outstanding TWoS supporters/donors : Hubert Dewey, Fernand Delfosse, Ludwig Diebel, Joerg Krieger, Carlos Jesús Bustos Moreno, Joseph "TM=Bluntman" Dewey and Janne Aatrakoski. Thank you very much and happy hunting Captains!

:Kaleun_Salute::Kaleun_Salute::Kaleun_Salute:
Happy hunting!

XenonSurf 06-15-19 08:37 AM

Congrats, Veko, for your amazing ongoing work. The changed F7 commands make much sense.

With Battlestations activated, will repairs last longer, and the sub be more detectable by enemies because of more noise ?

Thank you,