SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   SH5 Mods Workshop (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=249)
-   -   [REL]The Wolves of Steel - SH5 Megamod (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=210703)

vdr1981 04-27-19 01:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mud112th (Post 2605957)
You can see the square cursor in the screenshot I posted (8 o'clock position, in the water). Which means the cursor is over an item which can be moved, rather than then map itself. Else you get a arrow cursor.

The transparent area is about as big as the width of the map on either side of the compass.

I see now...Definitely shouldn't be like that. Do you run your game with admin rights? You should try to do full game reinstall using the latest v2.2.12 installer as well.

Mud112th 04-28-19 02:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vdr1981 (Post 2606038)
I see now...Definitely shouldn't be like that. Do you run your game with admin rights? You should try to do full game reinstall using the latest v2.2.12 installer as well.

Running as admin indeed, and I can't really do a cleaner install than the one I already did (Windows, SH5 and 2.2.12 were all clean installed).

Thanks for the tips and time, but as far as I am concerned I'm happy enough with it as is. I mean everything else works just fine. So all I have to do at game start is slide that compass out of the way.

Best regards,

Mud

fire-fox 04-28-19 05:56 AM

any point installing 2.2.12 if im already past Wasserbung ? started the second campaign chapter this morning :oops:

vdr1981 04-28-19 08:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fire-fox (Post 2606199)
any point installing 2.2.12 if im already past Wasserbung ? started the second campaign chapter this morning :oops:

You won't brake anything in any case.

XenonSurf 04-28-19 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mud112th (Post 2605864)
Does anybody know how to get rid of this tool when you open the map?

http://soleil-noir.be/112th/SH5Img@2...6_11.41.35.jpg

I have to slide that tool to the side every time I start the game, else I cannot move or interact with the map. It has a big transparent area around it as well.

Clean Windows and SH5 (non-steam) install with the latest version of TWOS.
No other mods installed.

Best regards,

Mud

In my TWoS 2.2.10 with some optional WoS mods loaded (and only them), this tool in your picture is usually partially hidden on the right of the screen, I would need to drag it to the center to see it as in your picture.

The squared cursor appears when you need to drag items on the map, it doesn't always center on the object, so you must first drag the object away before using the map normally.
Seeing your picture, for me it's all normal, you should be able to move the protractor to one part of the screen and continue with map operations.

If you cannot do that, or if dragged items get messed-up, save game and quit, go in your main game folder and delete all xxxxx_Draggables.TDW files and restart game. That's the first thing to do, I don't know if it's enough however, except:

If you play in Win10, you must set the game shortcut to Win7 compatibility mode + start as admin. Also I assume you play in 1920x1080, otherwise you will have other display problems.

I hope this helps,
XS

XenonSurf 04-28-19 09:28 AM

Hi Veko,

By recently reading Steam posts, I have noticed that there are players not able to install the game based on your instructions, especially based on what you say before 'Step 1' and the 'Step 1' itself.
Here are some suggestions:

Before Step 1:
If you say "...is not write protected and that you own full administration
rights over it!", most people will simply not understand (or believe they understand, but they do not!).

Tell people expressly: "Right-click on your game shortcut, chose Properties, and set Windows 7 Compatibility mode, set 'Start as Administrator'.

In Step 1, you say:
"Step 1:
Download The Wolves of Steel _SH5 Expansion Pack_vx.x.x_Full and install the archive to
your main Silent Hunter 5 install folder (e.g. "C:\Ubisoft\Silent Hunter 5"). Make sure to
specify the correct path when asked!"

I would not give this example path of "C:\Ubisoft\Silent Hunter 5", instead simply say: "Install the archieve to the folder where your SH5.EXE file is located".

That way, people will not create imaginary folders and wonder why they still start with the stock game :)

Then, in your Gameplay tips, the section about the 'alternative campaign transfer' is obsolete, you have changed it with red messages in-game, so maybe tell about that, I know it's already in Peter THEBERBSTER's section.

Cheers!
:Kaleun_Cheers:XS

vdr1981 04-29-19 03:25 AM

Your suggestions are noted XS, although I learned so far that some people will always find the way to screw something up, no matter how detailed video or written instructions are.

Playing modded simulations do require a minimum of PC related technical knowledge, that is the fact. Install instructions should be just that IMO and not how to use your PC tutorial. The problem is that the Wolves are now also attracting people who don't even know the difference between file and folder terms and I really can't do much about it.

kapuhy 04-29-19 09:25 AM

Normally I'd check this myself but only savegame I have is in Baltic, so I ask here in case someone already tried... can player get to Black Sea in TWoS? (according to map there should be a passage through).

XenonSurf 04-29-19 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kapuhy (Post 2606373)
Normally I'd check this myself but only savegame I have is in Baltic, so I ask here in case someone already tried... can player get to Black Sea in TWoS? (according to map there should be a passage through).

I don't know if there is a free passage to that Sea, but its' not necessary:
There would need to be a port with a bunker in the Black Sea, if so you can switch to it as for my guide (meaning a campaign chapter could start from there, even if there is no free passage to the Sea). But I doubt there is any traffic currently, but this could be added with the Editor.

bstanko6 04-29-19 02:43 PM

Well said VDR!

XenonSurf 04-29-19 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vdr1981 (Post 2606336)
Your suggestions are noted XS, although I learned so far that some people will always find the way to screw something up, no matter how detailed video or written instructions are.

Playing modded simulations do require a minimum of PC related technical knowledge, that is the fact. Install instructions should be just that IMO and not how to use your PC tutorial. The problem is that the Wolves are now also attracting people who don't even know the difference between file and folder terms and I really can't do much about it.

I understand and agree with you that being busy with improving WoS is far from a role to teach people to use their computers, I will nonetheless go on and respond in these Steam threads (and here also) to really simple questions if I get the time...
However I find that with some few changes in the install doc, a lot of noob questions could be avoided and errors made almost impossible.
But never mind, those were just suggestions on the fly...

vdr1981 04-30-19 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by XenonSurf (Post 2606426)
I understand and agree with you that being busy with improving WoS is far from a role to teach people to use their computers, I will nonetheless go on and respond in these Steam threads (and here also) to really simple questions if I get the time...
However I find that with some few changes in the install doc, a lot of noob questions could be avoided and errors made almost impossible.
But never mind, those were just suggestions on the fly...

Yes, I'll certainly do that but I really don't expect any reduction in number off noob questions.

Tonci87 04-30-19 06:33 PM

I just sunk HMS Formidable, an Illustrious class Fleet Carrier, in the Western approach Area AL with a spread of 4 torpedoes. Pure chance encounter. She went down like a rock. Managed to evade the destroyers :D

Interpol 05-02-19 08:01 AM

Hi there.

Just a few questions if I may.

Is it normal behaviour for the "Send to Shiplog" button on the Enigma result sheet to send just "ENIGMA MESSAGE:" with no succeeding decrypted message?

Similarly when I receive new orders from BdU via Enigma, the Captain's Log simply says: "New Patrol 1" instead of the actual Naval Grid reference I've been sent to?

Tonci87 05-02-19 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Interpol (Post 2606879)
Hi there.

Just a few questions if I may.

Is it normal behaviour for the "Send to Shiplog" button on the Enigma result sheet to send just "ENIGMA MESSAGE:" with no succeeding decrypted message?

Similarly when I receive new orders from BdU via Enigma, the Captain's Log simply says: "New Patrol 1" instead of the actual Naval Grid reference I've been sent to?

The first one is not normal. The Enigma should send what you write into the right side of the Decoding form to the shiplog

The second one is normal, there wouldn´t be any need to decipher the message if you could just look up the grid there :D