SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   SH5 Mods Workshop (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=249)
-   -   [REL]The Wolves of Steel - SH5 Megamod (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=210703)

gap 11-23-15 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vdr1981 (Post 2360914)
EDIT 2:
Aaaand the bad news...:nope: Placing platform in a appropriate position as a terrain object will also collapse CD ability to shoot... Bummer...:nope:

EDIT 3:
And the good news again...:D removed all controllers from platforms sim file and guns are live again...:yeah:

I was expecting that. Try removing only the StaticObject controller. Other controllers should be irrelevant to collision detection which, on turn, is probably what is preventing sea units from behaving normally. :)

gap 11-23-15 03:00 PM

What do you think about the following models:

https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/sea...ndClass=entity

I think they reflect the kind of gunnery bunker devs wanted to mimic with LCD_Bunker_Large. I have 3d Warehouse models on my hd, already converted into obj format, and they look outstanding. They are free. Should I import one of them rather than the SHIV bunker? :D

fitzcarraldo 11-23-15 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vdr1981 (Post 2360883)
All is working fine here...:hmm2: Can you use insert/delete keys?
Maybe mods incompatibility issue?:hmm2:

Only TWoS with Patch 12 (I need to install Patch 13 yet) without Real Navigation.

The keys work, but the buttons/arrows for gradual up/down in the GUI donīt work; only work in obs scope.

Many thanks!!

Fitzcarraldo :salute:

vdr1981 11-23-15 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gap (Post 2360938)
Let me know by which amount you had to raise the platform. I can increase its height accordingly, so that it won't look like floating above the sea bottom

What do you think about the following models:

https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/sea...ndClass=entity

I think they reflect the kind of gunnery bunker devs wanted to mimic with LCD_Bunker_Large. I have 3d Warehouse models on my hd, already converted into obj format, and they look outstanding. They are free. Should I import one of them rather than the SHIV bunker? :D

This will never happen because height of the platform which we have now is more than sufficient ...:yep: It looks excellent with external camera, underwater ...

The models look great, no doubt about it, but please try to keep thing as simple as possible...I've learned so far that objects with large number of nodes/bones ( or whatever...) have ugly habit to largely destabilize the game (aka CTD when you're approaching enemy or home bases).

In any case, I would really appreciated first simple models to test the concept and then we can make them to look really nice...

Now, when I know how to properly add the platforms and set it's height with TE, even they can have somewhat complicated appearance, but again, nothing extra
complicated I hope...:)

EDIT
http://s6.postimg.org/dm05grtrh/SH5_...3_21_24_44.jpg http://s6.postimg.org/64qy1k48d/SH5_...3_21_46_02.jpg

gap 11-23-15 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vdr1981 (Post 2360945)
This will never happen because height of the platform which we have now is more than sufficient ...:yep: It looks excellent with external camera, underwater ...

Looks nice :up:
we only need for a slightly wider platform then
If I can, I would suggest raising the platform a little more though. It should be more or less as high as a docking pier, and by the way, have you tried restoring all the sim file controllers except StaticObject. Water reflections and winter (snowy) textures are a cool feature which I don't think will affect gun's fucntionality. ;)

Quote:

The models look great, no doubt about it, but please try to keep thing as simple as possible...I've learned so far that objects with large number of nodes/bones ( or whatever...) have ugly habit to largely destabilize the game (aka CTD when you're approaching enemy or home bases).

In any case, I would really appreciated first simple models to test the concept and then we can make them to look really nice...

Okay, but the models I have pointed before are not "complicated" at all. For instance one of the best looking models among them (the top left one in the 3D warehouse page), is well below 1000 vertices (this is including the bunker and the big artillery gun), which is nothing compared to even the simplest ship model in game. Add to that that, likewise stock sea units, by having those models as GR2 files we can create for them LOD models with further decreased polygonal resolution, for when looking at those badasses from far away. :03:

Quote:

Now, when I know how to properly add the platforms and set it's height with TE, even they can have somewhat complicated appearance, but again, nothing extra
complicated I hope...:)

Maybe a couple of bollards and a ladder :hmm2:

vdr1981 11-23-15 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gap (Post 2360968)
Looks nice :up:
we only need for a slightly wider platform then
If I can, I would suggest raising the platform a little more though. It should be more or less as high as a docking pier, and by the way, have you tried restoring all the sim file controllers except StaticObject. Water reflections and winter (snowy) textures are a cool feature which I don't think will affect gun's fucntionality. ;)

Yes, only static object controller was problematic...Others are fine...

Quote:

Originally Posted by gap (Post 2360968)
Okay, but the models I have pointed before are not "complicated" at all. For instance one of the best looking models among them (the top left one in the 3D warehouse page), is well below 1000 vertices (this is including the bunker and the big artillery gun), which is nothing compared to even the simplest ship model in game. Add to that that, likewise stock sea units, by having those models as GR2 files we can create for them LOD models with further decreased polygonal resolution, for when looking at those badasses from far away. :03:

I dont know how to describe it exactly but this is not only about model complexity . Sometimes even single extra node/object can cause all kind of problems and CTDs. Take for example Sub Flags, Sub exhaust or even SH5 Leigh Lights...All these mods are created by the book and they look like really simple low demanding mods, but in reality it is not like that...
From some reason SH5 engine just doesn't like them. Why is that so, I really cant tell...
This is the exact reason why I'm asking first simple models with only few necessary nodes . After that, if everything is OK, 3D models could be improved. Do you see my point here?

Did you find your GR2 bunkers? Can you upload them maybe?

gap 11-23-15 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vdr1981 (Post 2360977)
Yes, only static object controller was problematic...Others are fine...

Good!

Quote:

I dont know how to describe it exactly but this is not only about model complexity . Sometimes even single extra node/object can cause all kind of problems and CTDs. Take for example Sub Flags, Sub exhaust or even SH5 Leigh Lights...All these mods are created by the book and they look like really simple low demanding mods, but in reality it is not like that...
From some reason SH5 engine just doesn't like them. Why is that so, I really cant tell...
This is the exact reason why I'm asking first simple models with only few necessary nodes . After that, if everything is OK, 3D models could be improved. Do you see my point here?

Of course I am aware of that.
Short OT: talking about sub flags, the other day I was wondering if the problem was in having two different flag models (the stock one and the one from TDW's mod) rendered at the same time. We ccould try copying TDW's flag entries into stock flags.dat, and making sub flags to be rendered on top of the same weaving model as used by AI-controlled units :hmm2:

Quote:

Did you find your GR2 bunkers? Can you upload them maybe?

:o
Didn't I post a link here? I thought I did...

EDIT:

Here :salute:

vdr1981 11-23-15 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gap (Post 2360986)

Didn't I post a link here? I thought I did...

EDIT:

Here :salute:

Thanks!:up: You even have radio in it ! :D:yeah:

Can I hide rocks with goblin, just for testing?:hmm2:

gap 11-23-15 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vdr1981 (Post 2360993)
Thanks!:up: You even have radio in it ! :D:yeah:

Can I hide rocks with goblin, just for testing?:hmm2:

Yep, you can do whatever you want with it. :up:

Initially I had conceived it not as gunnery bunker but as a land unit for use as coastal surveillance post, hence the radio and the rock/bush camoufflage.
I used as inspiration many similar bunkers which are still spread along the coasts of my island (Sicily) :03:

http://www.milistory.net/Public/data...pcm_vito_2.jpg
https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/i...SnaLd0b-PU43KZ https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/i...C-xXQeKDJURx89

misha1967 11-24-15 02:25 AM

Wow. I've been gone for quite some time, forgot how much I enjoyed this game back in the day and I'm so glad to see so many of the Old Guard still around, not to mention all of the new faces who've joined us since then (welcome to all!!!), and I know that I'm rusty when it comes to my elite Kaleun skills, don't even get me started on how rusty or you'll be laughing yourselves to death. :haha:

Anyway. I just want to start out by thanking everybody who's had a part in this MegaMod. It made it so much easier for me to "jump back in." Actually, it made it possible for me to jump back in, because I wasn't about to spend the months of tweaking of my mod soup that I did back then to make it all work again. I just couldn't have. But you guys made a package of just about every single one of my favorite mods from back then with quite a few new ones too and made it dead easy to install. I can't thank you enough.

As I said years ago: Without modding, Silent Hunter V would have been the worst fiasco in gaming history. With modding, it's become the ultimate U-Boat simulator.

Sure, I've had to do some tweaking, for instance I don't like the default SH3 interface but that wasn't too hard to fix once my memory got jogged enough to remember how I used TDW's second to none options modifier and I had to throw in a few of my old personal tweaks as well, but as a packaged standard solution, this is one HECK of a job! :salute:

One question, though: Am I really supposed to be going 9 kts on ahead third in a VIIA??? I mean, it's not that I don't like it, I can pretty much circumnavigate the world three times on a tank of gas that way, but I'm beginning to think that I did something wrong here. I mean, my boat is going 7 kts on Ahead Slow. That used to be a pretty good speed for me.

vdr1981 11-24-15 04:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by misha1967 (Post 2361028)

One question, though: Am I really supposed to be going 9 kts on ahead third in a VIIA??? I mean, it's not that I don't like it, I can pretty much circumnavigate the world three times on a tank of gas that way, but I'm beginning to think that I did something wrong here. I mean, my boat is going 7 kts on Ahead Slow. That used to be a pretty good speed for me.

Hi misha1967,
Don't worry , I can assure you that those are realistic type VII U-boat speeds taken from Type VIIC manual:yep:... I had a link somewhere but I can't find it right now...

Submarine surface range has nothing to do with telegraph, ahead slow , 1/3 ect. The range depends of engine RPM...

vdr1981 11-24-15 05:10 AM

Gap, can you upload increased platform and some gr2 bunker (SH4 or that freeware maybe) for this afternoon? :hmm2::up:

xXNightEagleXx 11-24-15 05:40 AM

vdr1981,

I just saw that a new patch has been released and that's cool. However i would like to ask you what is the correct procedure to update an already mod installation.

Should i revert the snapshot, "remove" the old patch, add the new one and re-apply the generic exe mod ?

vdr1981 11-24-15 05:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xXNightEagleXx (Post 2361062)
vdr1981,

I just saw that a new patch has been released and that's cool. However i would like to ask you what is the correct procedure to update an already mod installation.

Should i revert the snapshot, "remove" the old patch, add the new one and re-apply the generic exe mod ?

Just follow patch 13 install instructions and yes, you can remove previous patch...:yep:

It is not necessary to restore snapshot again but it wont hurt if you do so...

gap 11-24-15 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vdr1981 (Post 2361057)
Gap, can you upload increased platform and some gr2 bunker (SH4 or that freeware maybe) for this afternoon? :hmm2::up:

Sorry Vecko, I am just back home. I can upload the bigger platform in half an hour. I am afraid the SHIV bunker will take a bit longer (not too much though): as it is now it looks a bit dull. If you agree, I would like to retexture it and to create a self illumination map for it. In the meanwhile you can start placing the model in game using the dat version. When the GR2 version will be ready, switching model will be as easy as changing path in MapObjects.ini. Since the two models will be identical, no other tweaks will be required :salute:

EDIT:

Should I replace the old (70m radius) platform with the new wider one, or you will need for both platforms?