SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   PC Hardware/Software forum (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=235)
-   -   Anyone got 7 yet? (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=157546)

Skybird 10-31-09 05:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by goldorak (Post 1194892)
No need to be secretive Skybird, Ubisoft many years ago patched Starforce out of SH III. Heck the budget edition I bought 2 years after the game was released had no protection of any kind. If you have one of the first editions of SH III then just download the official last patch from Ubisoft and you're good to go.

Hm, I just was on the UBI site, and the latest patch they list for SH3 in the patch download section is 1.4b from 2005. Reading the feature list, there is no mentioning of kicking SF. I also seem to remember that 1.4b was the last official patch I was using back then.

Is it an unofficial patch (which then again would make the deletion of SF illegal)?

goldorak 10-31-09 05:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skybird (Post 1197175)
Hm, I just was on the UBI site, and the latest patch they list for SH3 in the patch download section is 1.4b from 2005. Reading the feature list, there is no mentioning of kicking SF. I also seem to remember that 1.4b was the last official patch I was using back then.

Is it an unofficial patch (which then again would make the deletion of SF illegal)?

No it is an official patch.
My version of SH III is patched to 1.4b and has NO STARFORCE nor any other kind of protection. And it is original.
Ubisoft is one of the few publishers that on many games patches the copy protection out after some years (not for all of its games).
But in the case of SH III, Chessmaster X (which I own) and Lock-on yes.
:D

Skybird 10-31-09 06:50 AM

Well, if it is a patch that is installed after game installation, it means that it deletes SF again after the game has been installed, and so it is not really an option for me anyway, since I subscribe to the idea that it is better to install SH3 in a way where SF does not even touch the HD during installation, instead of letting it in and then needing to hope that kicking it out has functioned properly.

goldorak 10-31-09 07:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skybird (Post 1197194)
Well, if it is a patch that is installed after game installation, it means that it deletes SF again after the game has been installed, and so it is not really an option for me anyway, since I subscribe to the idea that it is better to install SH3 in a way where SF does not even touch the HD during installation, instead of letting it in and then needing to hope that kicking it out has functioned properly.

Actually even if the game has starforce, it is not enabled untill the first time you execute the program. So you can install SH III and then directly the patch. Job done no starforce.
I had the same problem with XIII century death or glory (it came bundled with my graphics card). I installed the game but didn't run it. Patched it with the official patch that removed starforce. Bingo no more starforce and I can enjoy the game. :)

Skybird 10-31-09 08:30 AM

I see, that is in principle what the "alternative exe" without SF does, too. Installing the game, but not rebooting, but immediately replacing the exe, then installing 1.4 - no SF ever gets installed. Also was compatible with GWX.

Long time no see, think I have to play a couple of sessions with SH3 again.

Spike88 11-09-09 11:10 AM

I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate. I like it, its definitely a step up from Vista.

I haven't tried gaming with it though.

PeriscopeDepth 11-10-09 03:18 PM

I am running 7 as my primary OS now after I fried my bootloader. Not really a performance increase over Vista when it comes to gaming, but the OS itself is far beyond Vista.

PD

Castout 11-10-09 08:32 PM

I'm happy with my Vista. I'll wait at least a year before upgrading to 7.
I'll use 7 with my new rig I think.:D

Raptor1 11-11-09 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Castout (Post 1201882)
I'm happy with my Vista.

Blasphemy!~

nikimcbee 11-11-09 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raptor1 (Post 1202201)
Blasphemy!~

:haha:

Vista (I have 64bit vista):D doesn't bother me much anymore, but it still does some aggrevating things; It's always updating then it suddenly shuts down to update:damn:

AVGWarhawk 11-12-09 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raptor1 (Post 1202201)
Blasphemy!~

I happy with Vista also. My rig hums right along. :up:

Reece 11-12-09 08:22 PM

Quote:

It's always updating then it suddenly shuts down to update:damn:
Can't you turn auto update off?:-? Hope Win 7 doesn't have that bug!!

Wolfehunter 11-12-09 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reece (Post 1202743)
Can't you turn auto update off?:-? Hope Win 7 doesn't have that bug!!

Windows 7 you can turn it off and it stays off untill you say otherwise.

Reece 11-12-09 11:30 PM

Excellent, I like the old saying "if it ain't broke don't fix it!", I update only when needed.:yep:

Hylander_1314 11-14-09 02:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nikimcbee (Post 1202355)
:haha:

Vista (I have 64bit vista):D doesn't bother me much anymore, but it still does some aggrevating things; It's always updating then it suddenly shuts down to update:damn:

Go into the security center, and change the automatic update setting to "never". Then you can update when you're ready to, and let it do it's thing. I always set it to "Let me choose" the updates, so it gives me a list of things, and I can decide on what's loaded in so I'm not adding unnecessary software from M$.