SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   Classic Subsims (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=173)
-   -   Fast Attack (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=138817)

Frame57 06-30-08 07:40 PM

Fast Attack

I went to a sight that has this game for download. I guess I got jipped because I payed 5 bucks and it will not download. I was wondering if anyone plays this still and what they think of it.

Eugene 07-01-08 10:50 AM

Still an excellent sim, although a different implementation than the Jane's series. Probably far fewer people still playing, but I find it still engaging and worthwhile.

Frame57 07-01-08 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eugene
Still an excellent sim, although a different implementation than the Jane's series. Probably far fewer people still playing, but I find it still engaging and worthwhile.

I am going to download it today. Will it work on XP?:up:

Eugene 07-05-08 10:05 PM

Yes. I've installed a couple of times on two different XP machines.
Good luck!

jmr 07-11-08 02:55 PM

Still enjoying Fast Attack on my machine although I use DosBox to run it. Be sure to grab the patch and tutorial located on Subsim's download page.

http://www.subsim.com/subsim_files/p...tml#fastattack

nikimcbee 02-18-09 09:26 PM

I never played this one, what was it about? I know it is about modern subs, but did it have a storyline?

kiwi_2005 02-26-09 06:01 AM

Fast Attack was my first ever sub game, I played this for many months. Loved it! If i can remember correctly some missions had a 2 hour limit which did not ruin the game play & when you fired missile a video would come up showing you the missile heading for its target, nothing unusual these days in games but back then it was a big thing for me. Learning to find targets on the sonar was easy which i think was intentional i was a pro at this game and thought i could handle any modern subsim. How wrong was I. Later on i tried out Sub Command Eeek! totally had to learn the sonar from scratch again. :)

swellfella 02-26-09 09:28 AM

This is wild! Just happen to be crusing forums and run across this. Listen:
I have been playing Fast Attack everyday for the last two months. After downlding it from one those free dos game sites, I was so taken, I ordered the game CD from ebay. And nothing's been the same.

Let me put it like this. Here is a partial list of the sub games I have:

Silent Hunter I. II, III, (Wolves) IV
Enigma Rising Tide
Sub Command
Dangerous Waters
688 Attack Sub
5th Fleet
Harpoon
Silent Steel (movie game)
Aces of the Deep
Destroyer Command
Wolf Pack
Steel Tide
etc., etc.

No game, I repeat, none, nada, makes me feel like a real sub driver like Fast Attack. Now, c'mon, I know that what you like is subjective, but as you can see I aint no casual player...I eat, sleep and dream submarines! And, bar none, nothing comes even close to what I consider what it would be like than Fast Attack (well, maybe Enigma. But I classify that as a sub-shoot 'em up, not an actual sim).

Funny, with all the modern bells-and-whistle games in my collection, it's a dos, back-in-the day game that I most enjoy. Go figure.

hK 06-01-09 05:19 AM

Is this game actually "abandonware" available to download?

Onkel Neal 06-02-09 03:02 PM

The term abandonware is hard to define, in regards to the original copyright owners' wishes, etc. But as far as I know, Fast Attack is not available for sale anywhere. So, check e-bay or Google it, it is a good game and worth finding.

jmr 06-05-09 12:08 PM

None of the abandonware sites that I know of carry it so I resorted to buying it online. Think I got my copy off of eBay.

CapitanPiluso 06-06-09 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frame57 (Post 892317)
I went to a sight that has this game for download. I guess I got jipped because I payed 5 bucks and it will not download. I was wondering if anyone plays this still and what they think of it.

Hi Frame, which is thw download site??

CapitanPiluso 07-06-09 08:48 PM

Well I got my Fast Attack CD at my local store for some $3. :D
I know it must run under dosbox but when I install the game can't get the .exe file :damn:
May be someone knows what am I doing wrong..some help will be great

Thx a lot

Eugene 07-07-09 12:51 PM

What is in your (very small) installed "fast" directory?

To make mine work, I installed Fast Attack using dos box, as well as using it to run the sim.

Eugene 07-07-09 12:57 PM

TO INSTALL:

mount c c:\mydosbox (or whatever folder name you want to use)
mount d d\: -t cdrom (or whatever the letter is for your cd/dvd drive)
d:
install