SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   Silent Hunter III (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=182)
-   -   troubleshooting (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=160722)

a1billk 01-25-10 12:19 PM

troubleshooting

Hello Mates,
I am quite sea sick from watching this fantastic game herk and jerk its way around the world, I have had smoother sailing an a 20 foot skiff. so if anyone out there can tie off this grapics issue I would be much obliged....else this game will walk the plank....or be tied to the yard-arm...save er while you can.!!!
graphics issues
after trying a lottery of optional settings in both hardware and software, I finally got this game to work.
sh3: to play the game I have to reduce video option "particle density" to less than 50%, even so, during a night attack when ships turn on there search lights, the game struggles to make 2 frames/s
system hardware
asus p4px-e
p4 2.6g
1.5 gig mem
ati hd4650 graphics card (agp x4)
hard drive tests show 70 + mb/s
current ati drivers, also tried omega drivers.\

KL-alfman 01-25-10 12:55 PM

I've got a similar configuration and SH3 (+GWX3) runs quite satisfactory. I'm no expert but I would assume that some of the settings of your graphics card might be set not correctly.
do you know what your anti-aliasing and anisotropic filters are?
(mine are set to AA: 4x and AF: 8x, but I have a Nvidia 6600GT)
I suppose some of the members here are a greater help than I am.

good luck! :salute:

Ping Panther 01-25-10 01:02 PM

a1billk,
I'll direct a bit of your concern over the searchlight drag/lag to this nice answer I have recently received myself on SubSim:
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=158891
It's a nice fix. :up: It may save your rig a lot of work.

Ping Panther 01-25-10 01:19 PM

If you get a chance to toss some more RAM into your specs., that will give you an immediate boost, and most efficiently help out some of your lag. KL has some good points filters that may fight your SH3, and ATI cards are known for more fuss than others. Hang in there, you have the best bunch of guys and gals here to offer their help.

By the way; a1, that seems to be your first post!
Welcome aboard. :salute: :woot:

krashkart 01-25-10 01:33 PM

Hrmmmm...

On my system it seems that any portion of the sky will hit the framerate pretty hard, unless it's through UZO or Binoculars. I don't like using persicope view unless absolutely necessary. It turns the simulation into a fast slideshow. In Freeview I get bad framerate until I rotate the camera enough to get the sky out of view.

I don't know how they render the sky in this sim, but I get the feeling that it has something to do with the framerate hits I'm taking in periscope and Free views. Underwater views are fantastic, though. :)

I have an onboard Mobile Intel 945 Express chipset (major part of the problem). Everything else on this machine is up to spec -- plenty of RAM and whatnot.

krashkart 01-25-10 01:34 PM

Wow, that is their first post. Welcome aboard, mate! :salute:

Can anyone "procure" a crate of brandy for a1? I'll see what I can dredge up from our supply pool. :D

a1billk 01-25-10 06:51 PM

shiver me timbers

I haven't had such a warm welcome since I was invited aboard the u-505.
Arrrrgggg, those scurvy dogs at xfx sent me this free replacement ati card after the fan fell off my nvidia 6800 and sank. they claimed it was an acoustic homing torpedo that ran hot, stright and true. well its a dud if ever I saw one.
I don't surface unless necessary, so my hats off to all you squids that offered your expertise and brandy...I believe I now have a good course to atlantis where the women are always young,the ale flows from fountains...and there ships can sail the heavens....
Good hunting...........Take Her Down.....

Quote:

Originally Posted by krashkart (Post 1245670)
Wow, that is their first post. Welcome aboard, mate! :salute:

Can anyone "procure" a crate of brandy for a1? I'll see what I can dredge up from our supply pool. :D

Tweety 01-25-10 07:22 PM

Welcome aboard a1billk,

It is always good to hear from new members.

I have 2 GB ram with a 1GB video card PCI express and Windows XP.
The only time I have a slow performance is leaving and returning to port.
Other than that, my system runs real good.

Ram would help increase performance. If you have a 256 GB video card, that could also hinder performance. A higher GB for video card would also help.

Tweety

KL-alfman 01-25-10 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by a1billk (Post 1246052)
this free replacement ati card

I think that's the main problem.
suggestion is to stroll up ebay and find an agp-card (8x) with a decent gpu and minimum 512mb. they can be found around 30-50€, IIRC.
the mainboard, cpu and ram are nearly identical to my system, and it's more or less satisfying (with obligatory hickups when leaving or entering port).

flag4 01-27-10 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by a1billk (Post 1245576)
Hello Mates,
I am quite sea sick from watching this fantastic game herk and jerk its way around the world, I have had smoother sailing an a 20 foot skiff. so if anyone out there can tie off this grapics issue I would be much obliged....else this game will walk the plank....or be tied to the yard-arm...save er while you can.!!!
graphics issues
after trying a lottery of optional settings in both hardware and software, I finally got this game to work.
sh3: to play the game I have to reduce video option "particle density" to less than 50%, even so, during a night attack when ships turn on there search lights, the game struggles to make 2 frames/s
system hardware
asus p4px-e
p4 2.6g
1.5 gig mem
ati hd4650 graphics card (agp x4)
hard drive tests show 70 + mb/s
current ati drivers, also tried omega drivers.\

dont know the other stuff you have, but ABSOLUTLY bump up your memory - at least 2gig a1billk: dont walk the plank - persist-persist!! BE MORE AGRESSIVE!!