SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   Silent Hunter III (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=182)
-   -   Recommended Minimums For playing GWX (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=162566)

krashkart 02-27-10 03:29 PM

Recommended Minimums For playing GWX?

I searched around till my eyes bled looking for this information. If I missed it, my apologies in advance for breaking a golden rule. ;)

I am considering GWX as a next step in SH3 experience. What would be some good minimum computer specs, GWX kaleuns?

Here is what I have:

~1.6GHz Intel Atom hyperthreaded
256MB video RAM
1GB memory

The memory will be upgraded to 2 gigs soonly. The video adapter is integrated and cannot be upgraded.

Based on that information, if I upgrade my SH3 install to GWX 3.0, will my computer burst into a spectacular ball of flame and melt when I fire up the simulation? Or will I be safe enough to not have a fire company on hand? :06:

GREY WOLF 3 02-27-10 03:39 PM

You can run it just but not very well, up your ram to 2gig that will make a big difference.
spectacular ball of flame will come when that torpedo hits home

Sailor Steve 02-27-10 03:41 PM

GWX was specifically designed to run on any system that can run stock SH3. They actually avoided using stuff that could cause serious problems. it could have been even better, but at a cost they wanted to avoid.

You should be fine the way you are. The RAM upgrade can't hurt, though.

krashkart 02-27-10 07:06 PM

Okay, thank you GREY WOLF 3 and Sailor Steve. I'll give it a shot. :salute:

FIREWALL 02-27-10 08:18 PM

Are you trying to play it on a netbook ? :yep:

krashkart 02-27-10 08:19 PM

Yes indeed I am, Sir FIREWALL. Works pretty well. :up:

What prompted you to ask, if I may ask? :DL

FIREWALL 02-27-10 08:32 PM

The specs were a dead giveaway. :yep:...:DL

I'm on a HP Mini 1101 right now. I use it for email and surfing the net.

My Gameing rig is for gameing only.

krashkart 02-27-10 08:34 PM

Hehe. My old gaming rig burned up. Not sure if it's the motherboard or something else that went kaput. Whatever the case it doesn't run anymore.

This little netbook won't run certain games, but I'm happy with what it will run. :DL

FIREWALL 02-27-10 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by krashkart (Post 1283303)
Hehe. My old gaming rig burned up. Not sure if it's the motherboard or something else that went kaput. Whatever the case it doesn't run anymore.

This little netbook won't run certain games, but I'm happy with what it will run. :DL

It's better than nothing at all. :yep:

Best of luck getting your down rig going again. :up:

Pied Piper huh ? :DL

krashkart 02-27-10 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FIREWALL (Post 1283312)
It's better than nothing at all. :yep:

Best of luck getting your down rig going again. :up:

Pied Piper huh ? :DL

I hope I can get that machine going again. She served me well. To be honest, I think I'm addicted to mobility now. Much more comfy sitting in a lounge chair than at the desk. :)

Pisces 02-28-10 07:10 AM

I've played the game with just 768MB of ram. It wasn't smooth, but it worked. Hmm, now I think of it. It may have been just GWX1.03. Sometime inbetween GWX 2.x and 3 I increased my ram to 2.5 GB. My processor was P4 2.6GHz HT, and a Sapphire ATI Radeon 9550. I had to turn down the particle settings in the options but it worked. At some point I did get hardware that overheated but that was due to dusty graphicscard fans and harddrives without enough cooling on a hot summer day. I think you'll be allright with that system. The worst framerate will be when you are in port. But there is a 'reduced port scenery' mod included with GWX for that if needed.