SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   Classic Subsims (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=173)
-   -   Kola Penninsula Scenario in Harpoon97 (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=124873)

ChristopherT 11-09-07 09:49 PM

Kola Penninsula Scenario in Harpoon97

Has anyone beaten the Kola scenario in the GIUK battleset without resorting to using nukes? This is a tough scenario.

Christopher

Herman 11-10-07 01:49 AM

Harpoon Classic [2005] Scenarios

If you are referring to:

#8.0 Rapier - NATO Submarine Attack on the Kola Peninsula

Then I can say that I have never been able to win it without the employment of nukes. There simply aren't enough conventional TLAM to do the job even if they all hit their target.

ChristopherT 11-10-07 03:11 PM

I was thinking of taking the subs south through the White Sea and attacking either Archangel or Shagui from extremely close range. There is plenty of time in the scenario for a move like that. Getting caught might be different matter! :D

Christopher

Herman 11-10-07 05:05 PM

Good luck to you, but I managed to get a complete Time-over-Target strike once with all the subs firing their TLAM at a single target without any useful result. I did it from fairly close range, too.

Keep trying. You get as many 'Mulligans' as you need to solve this puzzle. :ping:

ChristopherT 11-10-07 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Herman
Good luck to you, but I managed to get a complete Time-over-Target strike once with all the subs firing their TLAM at a single target without any useful result. I did it from fairly close range, too.

Keep trying. You get as many 'Mulligans' as you need to solve this puzzle. :ping:

Mulligans? I have a 12 handicap in JNSE Golf using the men's tees. :D

Christopher

Captain Vlad 11-11-07 06:09 AM

I remember that one from when I had the game on 3.5 inch floppies. I could never beat it without nukes either, and since I didn't like using the 'grant yourself authorization' key, I never accomplished the mission to my satisfaction.

ChristopherT 11-12-07 06:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain Vlad
I remember that one from when I had the game on 3.5 inch floppies. I could never beat it without nukes either, and since I didn't like using the 'grant yourself authorization' key, I never accomplished the mission to my satisfaction.

Thanks, Vlad! :D

Christopher

TonyE 11-23-07 01:07 AM

Harpoon (Classic) Commander's Edition http://www.matrixgames.com/games/game.asp?gid=325 has a new radar model. If someone were to re-make Rapier in the EC2003 GIUK battleset you'd stand a chance winning the scenario with conventional weapons. In the included HCDB database TLAMs are quite a bit stealthier than they are in the original Rapier.

Can't say I've ever won the scenario without nukes either :x

TonyE

ChristopherT 11-25-07 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TonyE
Harpoon (Classic) Commander's Edition http://www.matrixgames.com/games/game.asp?gid=325 has a new radar model. If someone were to re-make Rapier in the EC2003 GIUK battleset you'd stand a chance winning the scenario with conventional weapons. In the included HCDB database TLAMs are quite a bit stealthier than they are in the original Rapier.

Can't say I've ever won the scenario without nukes either :x

TonyE

I'm working on a scoring ladder based on the scenarios with a decisive victory being +2pts and going down from there. I think I'll skip the nukes and finish the scenario using conventional weapons, I've aready gotten all decisive victories so far, so I can afford the points.

Christopher

TonyE 11-25-07 07:15 PM

Christopher,
I'd be interested in seeing how your scoring system plays out. My interest in the 'cost' and gains of battle is great and I imagine every scoring approach takes a little bit different approach.

Herman 11-25-07 07:51 PM

If you get a tie, do you go to sudden-death shootout like they do in the NHL? ;)

ChristopherT 11-25-07 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Herman
If you get a tie, do you go to sudden-death shootout like they do in the NHL? ;)

A draw in the ladder is zero points. After I play all the scenarios as blue side, I switch to red side. Actually there IS one draw in the current ladder...

"3 Hide and Seek, Small Scale NATO ASW Sortie. None 1 Juliet Class SSG Draw - Timed out +0 pts"

Scenario 3, no NATO units lost (None), 1 Juliet Class SSG sunk and the scenario timed out before I killed any other subs. This one should be interesting when I get to red side. I did get attacked by other SSG(N)s but the attacks were stopped by SAMs. I did get sensors on a couple of Victor 2 SSNs, but they snuck away.

Christopher

ChristopherT 11-28-07 06:55 AM

Okay, I saved my Tomahawks for active military units. The final score for the Kola scenario was a draw. No bases destroyed on red side, no blue side subs sank. Final losses - Red side, 1 Kresta II, 1 Udaloy, 1 Krivak II, 1 Slava and 4 helicopters. :D

Christopher

TonyE 11-28-07 09:26 AM

Not too shabby with no blue sub losses :D .

ChristopherT 11-29-07 06:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TonyE
Not too shabby with no blue sub losses :D .

Number 9 is defending the Norwegian Penninsula against a major red side amphibious attack. This one is probably going to be messy! Airfield defense is one of my weak areas. :D

Christopher