SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   SH5 Mods Workshop (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=249)
-   -   [REL]The Wolves of Steel - SH5 Megamod (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=210703)

vdr1981 06-14-15 02:00 PM

So you're telling me that max weather change interval forced by DynEnv is 48h??

If so, this is not good because weather in game stays stuck for much longer periods after save/reload...:nope: I could only hope that when finally weather change kicks in after 3 or more days, actual change is consistent with settings precised in weather.cfg files...

This thing is also bothering me...When you load your gamesave while on patrol, instantly one weather change will kick in bringing completely new weather parameters. The question is, is this change within parameters precised in weather.cfg files or is it completely random. For me , it seems that is completely random but I hope I'm wrong...

Extremely useful would be quick test patch for DynEnv which will limit max weather change interval anywhere in the world to something like 6h and wind speed for example 10m/s so we could test and understand quickly how much DynEnv features are affected by save/reload problem .

If still ,with such patch on board, game would give us 15m/s winds and weather change after 3 or 4 days that wont be good at all...But, my assumption is that the game will constantly shifts weather in a intervals of few hours with winds no higher than 10m/s (cross your fingers).
If this is true than ave /reload problem wouldn't be such a problem after all...

I hope you've understood my poor English? :D
Can you do that?

THE_MASK 06-14-15 04:56 PM

If you use my terrain mod V6 you might want to remove the loading screen first :O:

gap 06-14-15 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vdr1981 (Post 2321028)
So you're telling me that max weather change interval forced by DynEnv is 48h??

Yep, that's the standard summer setting. For other seasons it is just 12 hours :yep:

Quote:

If so, this is not good because weather in game stays stuck for much longer periods after save/reload...:nope: I could only hope that when finally weather change kicks in after 3 or more days, actual change is consistent with settings precised in weather.cfg files...

This thing is also bothering me...When you load your gamesave while on patrol, instantly one weather change will kick in bringing completely new weather parameters. The question is, is this change within parameters precised in weather.cfg files or is it completely random. For me , it seems that is completely random but I hope I'm wrong...

Stick in mind that the one weather variables we can set through cfg files are the ones discusse so far (i.e. weathter change interval and wind speed range). Other weather variables are not totally random, but we have no control over them: cloud coverage, rain and fog, are determined by hardcoded routines and calculated based on previous weather (an important exception to this rule is when a savegame is reloaded though, in which case there is no previous weather), and on current season, i.e. winter has an higher cloud/rain/fog occurrence than other seasons. The one thing we can do in order to change the occurrence of the latter factors, is altering each season's start/end dates.

Quote:

Extremely useful would be quick test patch for DynEnv which will limit max weather change interval anywhere in the world to something like 6h and wind speed for example 10m/s so we could test and understand quickly how much DynEnv features are affected by save/reload problem .

If still ,with such patch on board, game would give us 15m/s winds and weather change after 3 or 4 days that wont be good at all...But, my assumption is that the game will constantly shifts weather in a intervals of few hours with winds no higher than 10m/s (cross your fingers).
If this is true than ave /reload problem wouldn't be such a problem after all...

I hope you've understood my poor English? :D
Can you do that?

Got you :up:
I start having your same doubsts, and a DynEnv patch like the one you are suggesting is exactly what I meant when I said that at this point a set of tests is needed. The patch will be ready tomorrow :up:

Quote:

Originally Posted by vdr1981 (Post 2321012)
Video: https://youtu.be/9Ui2tDvupc4

Testing:Testing: new sounds, meny.txt entries, early war magnetic detonators, underwater view range ect...

What do you think about new torpedo firing sounds?

P.S.
I know , FPS and quality suck...:D:D

All is cool, including new torpedo launch sounds, but...
- button push sound sucks :D
- somewhere in one of my old hard drives I should have alternative HD graphics for speed selection telegraph, course selection compass and depth selection dial (bottom right corner of the interface). In my opinion they look more autentic than the ones currently in use, recalling more closely the excellent 3D dial graphics made by Steel Viking and Conus. I would gladly donate them to you (if I manage finding them!) for inclusion in your mega mod.
- I have noticed you replaced the expression "Taskforce sighted" with "Naval group sighted". Nonetheless I think that in current english, the term "naval" refers especially to warships, as it is in direct connection with the similar term "Navy" (i.e. a fleet of waterborne military vessels). If your intention was looking for a more generic expression encompassing any number of military and/or military ships, I would rather use "Group of ships" or, even better, "Convoy" i.e, according to the Merriam-Webster dictionary, "a group of vehicles or ships that are traveling together usually for protection". :salute:

THE_MASK 06-15-15 12:58 AM

One file I would like but can never find . Sometime in the past 10 years modding SH3/4/5 someone had a sound file of the shells flying thru the air and they sounded realistic . I will see if I can find a youtube clip .

vdr1981 06-15-15 06:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gap (Post 2321080)
- button push sound sucks :D

I extracted it from Das Boot movie and merge it with real torpedo sound from some mod from SH4, can remember which one though...:haha:
Quote:

- somewhere in one of my old hard drives I should have alternative HD graphics for speed selection telegraph, course selection compass and depth selection dial (bottom right corner of the interface). In my opinion they look more autentic than the ones currently in use, recalling more closely the excellent 3D dial graphics made by Steel Viking and Conus. I would gladly donate them to you (if I manage finding them!) for inclusion in your mega mod.

Yeah, no problems with that...
Quote:

If your intention was looking for a more generic expression encompassing any number of military and/or military ships, I would rather use "Group of ships" or, even better, "Convoy" i.e, according to the Merriam-Webster dictionary, "a group of vehicles or ships that are traveling together usually for protection". :salute:

Exactly my intention and that's good to know...

vdr1981 06-15-15 07:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sober (Post 2321064)
If you use my terrain mod V6 you might want to remove the loading screen first :O:

I might do that...:D

One question though...I'm a bit concerned about game performance and stability with your new terrain mod for OHII.
I opened it in mission editor and what I saw in Skapa left me speechless...:D It's chaos! Do you think that so many mines in small area could affect game stability maybe, or not?:hmmm:
Also it would be really helpful if you could add short readme documentation so I could track your changes (features , edited files ect) more easily...:yep:

vdr1981 06-15-15 07:14 AM

Gap, If you haven't created patch already I did something. Would you like to take a look to see is everything OK with my changes to cfg files?

THE_MASK 06-15-15 07:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vdr1981 (Post 2321219)
I might do that...:D

One question though...I'm a bit concerned about game performance and stability with your new terrain mod for OHII.
I opened it in mission editor and what I saw in Skapa left me speechless...:D It's chaos! Do you think that so many mines in small area could affect game stability maybe, or not?:hmmm:
Also it would be really helpful if you could add short readme documentation so I could track your changes (features , edited files ect) more easily...:yep:

OMG , spoiler alert .
Do you mean read me for the terrain mod or ? The Scapa raid map is in the radio room , if you don't go that way then don't blame me . the only advice I can give you is , if your crew spots something close but you can not see any ship . Look around on the water surface for mines . I just did the traditional scapa raid at night in the rain . Scarry stuff , especially the mines buried in the shallow sand banks .

vdr1981 06-15-15 07:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sober (Post 2321223)
Do you mean read me for the terrain mod or ?

Yes, standard readme file with change log . Since you merged few mods into one it's getting a bit confusing for me to track progress.

Could you, for example, split your new terrain mod for me into:
Shipwreck mod
Kiel light mod, new version with Memel
Harbor mines mod

That would make thing much more easier for me to test megamod's stability...:up:

THE_MASK 06-15-15 07:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vdr1981 (Post 2321231)
Yes, standard readme file with change log . Since you merged few mods into one it's getting a bit confusing for me to track progress.

Could you, for example, split your new terrain mod for me into:
Shipwreck mod
Kiel light mod, new version with Memel
Harbor mines mod

That would make thing much more easier for me to test megamod's stability...:up:

Its too difficult . What you can do is if you don't like the mines then just copy the OH2 TotalGermany Harbors Mis file into my terrain mod .

THE_MASK 06-15-15 08:03 AM

:Kaleun_Sleep:

vdr1981 06-15-15 08:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sober (Post 2321233)
Its too difficult . What you can do is if you don't like the mines then just copy the OH2 TotalGermany Harbors Mis file into my terrain mod .

OK got it...:up:
And which files are for new Kiel light mod with Memel?

psykopatsak 06-15-15 11:27 AM

Soo a question: polish ships in the Kiel kanal?

And AI ships dont recognize each other as enemies unless I opened fire with the deck gun (when the polish merchant started its searchlight, Schelsweig Holstein suddenly opened up and Roflstomped it). Also, some polish destryers that hadnt spotted me yet were attacked by airplanes, but their main batteries started shooting at me instead.

vdr1981 06-15-15 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by psykopatsak (Post 2321272)
Soo a question: polish ships in the Kiel kanal?

It happens but only sometimes due to random unit activation...
Quote:

Originally Posted by psykopatsak (Post 2321272)
And AI ships dont recognize each other as enemies unless I opened fire with the deck gun (when the polish merchant started its searchlight, Schelsweig Holstein suddenly opened up and Roflstomped it). Also, some polish destryers that hadnt spotted me yet were attacked by airplanes, but their main batteries started shooting at me instead.

I don't know how many times I have started campaign over again but I never saw something like that.
If they detect you, they'll shout at you...Simple as that...

And for any further AI related doubts you should check IRAI thread/changelog, things will get much more clear for you, I'm sure...http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=171973

maxswain 06-15-15 12:35 PM

Thank you for this kickass Mod! I gave up on this game years ago and now it's on the top of my list to play. Having fun learning how to hunt vs SH4 and now this is the definitive subsim game out there (The Wolves of Steel SH5) Very stable and well put together! :yeah: