SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   Silent Hunter III (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=182)
-   -   Sub Indicator in GWX (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=103061)

TriskettheKid 01-02-07 05:04 PM

Sub Indicator in GWX

I've noticed that while trying to take some screens of my exploits, that I have a hard time figuring out which way I'm pointing when I switch to free cam.

Now, in vanilla SH3, I know that there was an indicator on the surface of the water when using the free cam, allowing you to know both where your sub was, and the direction it was traveling (or was it which way the bow was pointing?).

I'm trying to line up some screens, but I'm finding it hard, especially in fog, to figure out where to position the free cam because I have no idea where my sub is anymore (thereby losing pretty much all bearings).

Is there any way to turn on this indicator in GWX? Or am I SOL?

_Seth_ 01-02-07 05:07 PM

IIRC, I think its either Ctrl + (numpad) Del, Or Shift +(numpad) Del....

andy_311 01-02-07 05:53 PM

Oh tell me about it, 12 patrols no orange circle telling me were I am,GREAT,**** myself fist time (sorry the pun) got use to it now and lovin it clueless,think before you put your foot in it.

Paajtor 01-02-07 07:29 PM

Isn't it removed by default in GWX?
If so, then you'll have to ask someone to email the file to you. Then you put it in the folder where it was originally.

In general, when going to F12-camera from within the sub, the 1st view you get is headon.

GWX here, btw. :)

TriskettheKid 01-02-07 08:08 PM

I thought the default WAS head-on.

The problem is that when you're out at sea, especially in fog, there is almost no way to accurately turn the camera to face forward unless you're surfaced.

Hakahura 01-02-07 08:14 PM

I'll be honest even though it's a "cheat" I would'nt be without my orange circle.

If you want yours back get a copy from my filefront page

http://hosted.filefront.com/Hakahura/

Place the file in the Data/Misc folder

"The futures bright, the futures orange".......
and circley

Paajtor 01-02-07 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _Seth_

Ctrl-Numberpad Del - Remove the orange marker from the ocean surface when submerged.

(if you want to play GWX-multiplayer, you have to disable this marker, to prevent a CTD.
To make it a JSGME-compatible mod (=easy dis/enable), create a folder called UMark...inside this folder, create a folder named data...inside data, create a folder named Misc....inside Misc, you put the UMark.
Now put this entire file in JSGME's MODS folder)

_Seth_ 01-02-07 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paajtor
Quote:

Originally Posted by _Seth_

Ctrl-Numberpad Del - Remove the orange marker from the ocean surface when submerged.

(if you want to play GWX-multiplayer, you have to disable this marker, to prevent a CTD.
To make it a JSGME-compatible mod (=easy dis/enable), create a folder called UMark...inside this folder, create a folder named data...inside data, create a folder named Misc....inside Misc, you put the UMark.
Now put this entire file in JSGME's MODS folder)

Thanx matey, i wasnt really sure about those...:oops:
:up::up::up::up:

bigboywooly 01-03-07 12:31 AM

Nah it should be fine for MP
Tis only a graphic
No different to the blacked out one in name :up:

Jimbuna 01-03-07 10:36 AM

graphics have no detrimental effect in MP...some players even use camo sub skins :yep:

Paajtor 01-03-07 10:40 AM

Really, bbw?

Oki.:up:

OT: how about other small mods I run over GWX, like Kriller'sSun, a radio-pinup (the one I personally prefer lol), CargoCrater v1, GWXCaptainAmerican'sOfficerIcons, Fubar's VIIC (all graphical)....or small sound mods like NewDCSounds or a BetterHurricaneSound (made the last one myself)?

GT182 01-03-07 11:07 AM

Thanks for the Umark Hakahura. I know it's a cheat but I like to know what direction I'm going to be DC'd from. ;) Nice to have it back for GWX. :D

Hakahura 01-04-07 04:55 AM

Your welcome mate, glad to help :up:

I find that most DC's come from above :rotfl:

Corsair 01-04-07 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GT182
Thanks for the Umark Hakahura. I know it's a cheat but I like to know what direction I'm going to be DC'd from. ;) Nice to have it back for GWX. :D

Other "non cheat" solution : put your ears behind the hydrophone, you will get the same info...;)

TriskettheKid 01-04-07 04:24 PM

I've never really used the external camera as a "cheat." Even when I've fire torpedoes blind, I didn't use the external view to line up the shot, only watch it hit.

But I just gotta ask:

Do people really pay attention to DCs going in the water? I mean, My sonarman seems good enough yelling out that there are DCs in the water, and even then it's not an issue if you're changing course and depth enough.

Actually, that leads me to another question:

Did GWX change anything about the rate of descent for DCs? I seem to remember they dropped too fast in vanilla SH3.