SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   Silent Hunter III (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=182)
-   -   Tell us what you are upto in your current campaign (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=151090)

Bubblehead1980 12-04-21 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Pancoast (Post 2781493)
August, 1943: U-343 lost at sea, BD39, to unknown causes. Aircraft reported in the area.
(Boat was actually hit by a FIDO in the game, but the German's didn't know about those at the time).

Ouch. Are those possible to evade or you pretty much done once they are in the water?

John Pancoast 12-04-21 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bubblehead1980 (Post 2781499)
Ouch. Are those possible to evade or you pretty much done once they are in the water?

They can be evaded, I have before, but there isn't much time and the odds are against it.

John Pancoast 12-04-21 06:40 PM

I should also add they don't always mean instant destruction. However, they do result in serious damage to the hull.
I've survived a FIDO hit. But the problem is dealing with future aircraft on the way back to base with a seriously damaged hull.
This usually results in a sunk boat at some point unless very lucky. Best to travel submerged all the way back, but there's that pesky problem of having to surface to recharge the batteries that can cause trouble......:)

Kapitän 12-05-21 03:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Pancoast (Post 2781493)
August, 1943: U-343 lost at sea, BD39, to unknown causes. Aircraft reported in the area.
(Boat was actually hit by a FIDO in the game, but the German's didn't know about those at the time).

I didn't realize that Sh3 actually models FIDOs in the game. Rockets, yes but FIDO's as well?

Kapitän 12-05-21 03:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Pancoast (Post 2781504)
They can be evaded, I have before, but there isn't much time and the odds are against it.

How deep does one have to dive to evade a FIDO?

John Pancoast 12-05-21 04:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kapitän (Post 2781524)
I didn't realize that Sh3 actually models FIDOs in the game. Rockets, yes but FIDO's as well?

Sh3 doesn't. One of it's numerous omissions. But Stiebler's patch does, and quite well done too. :)

Kapitän 12-05-21 04:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Pancoast (Post 2781533)
Sh3 doesn't. One of it's numerous omissions. But Stiebler's patch does, and quite well done too. :)

Ah, okay ... where may I find this patch and can it be installed via JSGME?

John Pancoast 12-05-21 04:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kapitän (Post 2781525)
How deep does one have to dive to evade a FIDO?

Depth doesn't matter as it's an acoustic weapon that goes after the noise/cavitation made by your props. So when it's dropped while you're crash diving can be problematic.

The trick is to reduce speed asap once one is in the water, preferably one knot, and change course 90 degrees.
If you're cocky, releasing a bold may help........or hurt. :)

Kapitän 12-05-21 04:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Pancoast (Post 2781535)
Depth doesn't matter as it's an acoustic weapon that goes after the noise/cavitation made by your props. So when it's dropped while you're crash diving can be problematic.

The trick is to reduce speed asap once one is in the water, preferably one knot, and change course 90 degrees.
If you're cocky, releasing a bold may help........or hurt. :)

Clear. I was just wondering, if a FIDO only goes so deep and as of a certain depth, looses its effectivness ...

John Pancoast 12-05-21 04:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kapitän (Post 2781534)

Stiebler's patch can be found here, #9, but it requires H.sie's patch too. Rubini also made one here.
I prefer Stiebler's for it's simplicity and effectiveness, plus I use other parts of his patch, but different strokes, etc.

John Pancoast 12-05-21 05:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kapitän (Post 2781536)
Clear. I was just wondering, if a FIDO only goes so deep and as of a certain depth, looses its effectivness ...

Not that I know of. Stiebler's has ten minutes to find you, but depth doesn't matter.
In real life, the sub never got much past just below the surface before being hit; the German's never knew what it was so the low speed tip is something we get to use via hindsight.

Kapitän 12-05-21 05:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Pancoast (Post 2781538)
Stiebler's patch can be found here, #9, but it requires H.sie's patch too. Rubini also made one here.
I prefer Stiebler's for it's simplicity and effectiveness, plus I use other parts of his patch, but different strokes, etc.

Thanks! I have the h.sie patch installed. Anything to watch for when installing either, Stiebler or Rubini?

John Pancoast 12-05-21 05:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kapitän (Post 2781534)

Oh, and yes, it's applied via JSGME.

Kapitän 12-05-21 05:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Pancoast (Post 2781539)
Not that I know of. Stiebler's has ten minutes to find you, but depth doesn't matter.
In real life, the sub never got much past just below the surface before being hit; the German's never know what it was so the low speed tip is something we get to use via hindsight.

Okay, got it. Thanks!

John Pancoast 12-05-21 05:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kapitän (Post 2781540)
Thanks! I have the h.sie patch installed. Anything to watch for when installing either, Stiebler or Rubini?

Never tried Rubini's but Stieblers/H.sie's can be difficult if one isn't used to messing with Sh3 files.
Otherwise, they're both easy to apply and use.
Be glad to help if you need it.

Kapitän 12-05-21 05:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Pancoast (Post 2781541)
Oh, and yes, it's applied via JSGME.

Ah, very good! Thanks!

Any particular order it should be installed in, e.g., right after h.sie patch or as last mod in JSGME?

John Pancoast 12-05-21 05:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kapitän (Post 2781544)
Ah, very good! Thanks!

Any particular order it should be installed in, e.g., right after h.sie patch or as last mod in JSGME?

Must be after H.sie's and in general both should be the last two in a mod list.

Kapitän 12-05-21 05:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Pancoast (Post 2781545)
Must be after H.sie's and in general both should be the last two in a mod list.

Thanks!

John Pancoast 12-05-21 11:04 PM

1944\01\14. After suffering serious damage via aircraft on it's maiden (new career to replace the previously mentioned sinking) voyage near grid AL85, U-81 was able to limp back to it's home port of St. Nazaire, via the Piening route.
Had to run a gauntlet of Allied aircraft patrols off Cape Finisterre, making it difficult to recharge it's batteries after daytime submerged travel.

But once sufficiently east of the coverage, had smooth sailing hugging the coast of Spain the rest of the way back to port, much to the chagrin of the Spanish authorties.
No sinkings, no torpedoes fired. But made it back. In 1944, that's a plus. :)

pikke 12-06-21 04:00 AM

1944...:Kaleun_Applaud:
I wonder if I will ever survive that long...