SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   SH5 Mods Workshop (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=249)
-   -   [REL] New Sinking Sounds for SH5 (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=252629)

Atoka220 05-06-22 01:13 PM

New Sinking Sounds for SH5

Post updated: 27.05.2022.

Since the original sinking sound is so underwhelming I got myself into designing a new one. I originally made one for a loop as the game originally handles the sound.

Then I made a TWOS version as in twos, the sound is only played once instead of a loop, so it's almost twice as long and more sequential starting from creaks and groans, devolving into rumbling and the hellish screams of tortured metal ending with some deep underwater rumbles and bangs as the ship implodes, stuff gets torn apart, etc

Download here (mediafire)

The zip contains the optional choices both for loop and for twos type single-time play along with backups and a readme

Now go, sink 'em all and listen to their calls for help as the waves consume them
https://i.postimg.cc/cHGWDSDy/image.png

Credits:
Capthelm of Subsim
The Hollywood Edge Sound Effects Library
The Orchard Enterprises
Valve Corporation
And other freeware sources from youtube and SFX pages

ReallyDedPoet 05-06-22 04:19 PM

Nice work here :up:

gap 05-06-22 07:24 PM

Very well done Atoka, the new ship-sinking loop sounds terrifically creepy :up:

If you don't mind me asking, where did you take it?

GrenSo 05-07-22 04:59 AM

Very nice :Kaleun_Applaud:

Atoka220 05-07-22 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gap (Post 2807443)
If you don't mind me asking, where did you take it?

Oh right, totally forgot, sorry
I'll update the post in a second

Thank you guys by the way :Kaleun_Salute:

gap 05-07-22 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Atoka220 (Post 2807514)
Oh right, totally forgot, sorry
I'll update the post in a second

I see. You have made an excellent job in merging multiple audio samples into one seamless loop, and I like the hydrophone version too. It sounds very plausible :yep:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Atoka220 (Post 2807514)
Thank you guys by the way :Kaleun_Salute:

Thank you too :salute:

skin-nl 05-07-22 02:00 PM

Nice work Atoka :salute:

Hungo 05-07-22 10:09 PM

TWos compatible?

Atoka220 05-08-22 06:01 AM

Probably, as you just replace and overwrite 2 sound files
I also included my backups too just in case someone forgets to back up first and something goes wrong (which is unlikely BUT not impossible)

gap 05-08-22 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hungo (Post 2807627)
TWos compatible?

Definitely, unless TWoS replaces ship sinking sounds with new sounds having a different name. In that case this mod would have no effect, but I doubt TWoS to do so.

Kal_Maximus_U669 05-08-22 10:12 AM

just taken them already in assembly we will see it seems via JSGME crush normally .. so I am confident ... otherwise it may be necessary to tinker :har:

Atoka220 05-09-22 06:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gap (Post 2807657)
Definitely, unless TWoS replaces ship sinking sounds with new sounds having a different name. In that case this mod would have no effect, but I doubt TWoS to do so.

But also in that case, you could just rename the files to the respective filenames

On a side note, does the game have any size or length limitations regarding sound files?
This sound is alredy 2 mins and 5MB but I think some more sfx could do
Like i didn't include that much clunking/deep groaning and sudden water rush sounds that would fit in nicely too

gap 05-09-22 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Atoka220 (Post 2807811)
But also in that case, you could just rename the files to the respective filenames

Definitely.

Quote:

On a side note, does the game have any size or length limitations regarding sound files?

Not that I know, but longer sounds means more memory usage. Better keeping sound loops within reasonable length/file size limits.

Quote:

This sound is alredy 2 mins and 5MB but I think some more sfx could do
Like i didn't include that much clunking/deep groaning and sudden water rush sounds that would fit in nicely too

You could try reducing a bit sample/bit rate in order to contain file size. Usually human hear is not very sensitive to low frequencies such as the ones of your sound effect, so the quality loss might be barely noticeable. My suggestion is to copy rates from stock sounds. Start from there, and see if you can "compress" your sounds a bit more. You could also include the longer audio loop as an optional mod for people to test it on their machines :salute:

U-190 05-09-22 05:59 PM

The game has restrictions only on some sounds, such as thunderstorm sounds.

Atoka220 05-13-22 12:28 PM

Now on that note, I've made some thunder sounds too as I was fed up by the ones I had (dunno if vanilla or modded) as they were so constant and in my face

These ones are smaller in filesize and I loaded in (it was a storm) and I was shocked that up until now, I've never seen any lightnings (i use dynenv 2.9)
I mean thunder sound size affects lightnings or what the hell happened?