SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   SHIII Mods Workshop (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=195)
-   -   Editing soundfiles (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=249737)

Nisse_thepear 06-19-21 03:49 PM

Editing soundfiles

Not sure if this is the right place to post but here goes nothing.
I recently decided to mod the soundfiles, most of the files are from other mods but I ended up modifying a couple of them myself with Audacity.

Thing is, the sound files I edited myself don't play in game and are replaced with silence.
Is there a way to fix this or am I doing something wrong?

Mad Mardigan 06-19-21 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nisse_thepear (Post 2753458)
Not sure if this is the right place to post but here goes nothing.
I recently decided to mod the soundfiles, most of the files are from other mods but I ended up modifying a couple of them myself with Audacity.

Thing is, the sound files I edited myself don't play in game and are replaced with silence.
Is there a way to fix this or am I doing something wrong?

I think with any sound files... (music ones, don't count in this assessment here.. :shucks:) like... a crew man repeating confirm of an order given, like... 1/3 ahead... is part of a scripting segment in game.

If I am correct in that assessment.. it would require that script being edited to know that you have added in the sound files that you've edited.. would be My guess here.

Am sure that someone more... knowledgeable about such, will be along to either confirm or shoot down My assessment.

M. M.

:Kaleun_Salute:

Nisse_thepear 06-20-21 04:20 AM

Thanks for replying!:)

The files I edited myself were:
P16_#oil_explosion.wav
secondary_bomb_explosion.waw

They have the same name as the previous files, replaced them via JSGME. Since all the other soundfiles that I replaced with files that wern't edited by me worked - I suspect something went wrong when I exported the two files i edited myself.

propbeanie 06-20-21 05:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nisse_thepear (Post 2753520)
Thanks for replying!:)

The files I edited myself were:
P16_#oil_explosion.wav
secondary_bomb_explosion.waw

They have the same name as the previous files, replaced them via JSGME. Since all the other soundfiles that I replaced with files that wern't edited by me worked - I suspect something went wrong when I exported the two files i edited myself.

Open a file that has not been edited. You'll see the waveform window. On the left of that is the information for the file. Note that it will usually show 44.1kHz at 32-bit float. That information however, is how Audacity opened the file. Most of the files in the game are 16-bit fixed, and you have to match that. You have to match the bit-depth. Sometimes a mono file will display as 22050 hz while "stereo" (two channels) will show as 44100. That is one in the same thing. But you should match the games file, whether mono or stereo. You also cannot exceed certain lengths time-wise with some of those files. The "Ambient" sounds can generally be longer, but a lot of the sound effects are only 2-3 seconds in length, while other sounds are 10-12 seconds. You have to stay close to the original length of most files in the game. What the file was originally is what you want to match all around in general. Open the files you edited in Audacity again, edit them to length, then when you export to wav, make sure the bit-depth is 16-bit fixed. That's what my guess is to what the issue is for you. :salute:

Nisse_thepear 06-20-21 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by propbeanie (Post 2753534)
Open a file that has not been edited. You'll see the waveform window. On the left of that is the information for the file. Note that it will usually show 44.1kHz at 32-bit float. That information however, is how Audacity opened the file. Most of the files in the game are 16-bit fixed, and you have to match that. You have to match the bit-depth. Sometimes a mono file will display as 22050 hz while "stereo" (two channels) will show as 44100. That is one in the same thing. But you should match the games file, whether mono or stereo. You also cannot exceed certain lengths time-wise with some of those files. The "Ambient" sounds can generally be longer, but a lot of the sound effects are only 2-3 seconds in length, while other sounds are 10-12 seconds. You have to stay close to the original length of most files in the game. What the file was originally is what you want to match all around in general. Open the files you edited in Audacity again, edit them to length, then when you export to wav, make sure the bit-depth is 16-bit fixed. That's what my guess is to what the issue is for you. :salute:

Changing the bit-float to 16 bit, the wavelength 22050 Hz and exporting it as a mono soundfile solved it!
Thanks alot man!:subsim:

Mister_M 06-20-21 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nisse_thepear (Post 2753571)
Changing the bit-float to 16 bit, the wavelength 22050 Hz and exporting it as a mono soundfile solved it!

So, is the result good in game ? :)

propbeanie 06-20-21 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nisse_thepear (Post 2753571)

Excellent. You are more than welcome - but you have to pay back:
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mister_M (Post 2753621)

I think someone wants a mini-mod... :yeah:

Nisse_thepear 06-22-21 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mister_M (Post 2753621)

They sound great! I can upload the soundfiles on mega if you want them!

DirkRgb 07-18-21 11:21 PM

Soundfiles Mod Grammophone/Music

Hello,

just updated part of my Soundfiles for music and the grammophome with 30thies music.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/omleqmj4w...6Ji4Aqj6a?dl=0

Feel free to use

For those who donīt know how to do: Just put ang .ogg file into the music folder and rename equal to original-file. For grammophe files use mp3.

Aktungbby 07-19-21 02:42 AM

welcome aboard!

DirkRgb!:Kaleun_Salute: after a long silent run...some tunes!!??:yeah:

Deepslick 09-09-21 05:33 PM

Hi. In the soundfolder there is a sh.sdl file. Is that a configuration file for the sounds and how can I open sh.sdl?

Im looking for a way to make the game play some sounds louder. All my sound sliders are on full but there are some kind of sound I would like to tinker with. Thanks for help.

Anvar1061 09-09-21 11:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deepslick (Post 2767520)
Hi. In the soundfolder there is a sh.sdl file. Is that a configuration file for the sounds and how can I open sh.sdl?

Im looking for a way to make the game play some sounds louder. All my sound sliders are on full but there are some kind of sound I would like to tinker with. Thanks for help.

https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/ima...aleun_Wink.gif
skwas' S3D - Silent 3ditor

Deepslick 09-10-21 07:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anvar1061 (Post 2767548)
:Kaleun_Wink:
skwas' S3D - Silent 3ditor

Thank you, that did exactly what I needed.