SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   SH4 Mods Workshop (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=219)
-   -   Adding New Sounds - Help Needed (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=251010)

Mav87th 11-08-21 07:46 AM

Adding New Sounds - Help Needed

Hi All

Trying again....

If one of you out there sits on some good information regarding how to add NEW sounds to SH-4 (or SH-3 for that sake) please share it with me.

I would like to add one more periscope sound as currently it is the same sound that plays rising and lowering the periscope.

Jeff-Groves 11-08-21 10:50 AM

Unless you can edit the SHSound.act file your not going to add sounds to somethings.
Look at it with a Hex Editor sometime.

And mostly IF anyone knows how to do something they do share it.
Being demanding and condescending won't get you anywhere!

Mav87th 11-09-21 03:07 AM

Thanks Jeff

Gotta say that being a Danish citizen and not native english speaker, i kindoff missed where i was demanding or condescenting in my post - but im sorry if i came off that way - not in any way intended. I reposted as i simply thought my prior post had been overlooked.

Bubblehead1980 11-09-21 04:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mav87th (Post 2777873)
Thanks Jeff

Gotta say that being a Danish citizen and not native english speaker, i kindoff missed where i was demanding or condescenting in my post - but im sorry if i came off that way - not in any way intended. I reposted as i simply thought my prior post had been overlooked.

I don't believe your post was condescending. I am not sure how to solve your issue, I am attempting to add the sound a a depth charge makes when it hits the submarine deck (unexploded) that was in Travellers mod but it invovles editing a file I had no clue how to do yet.

J0313 11-09-21 05:17 AM

Don't worry. Jeff Groves often comes off as sounding exactly like what he just accused you of sounding like but I'm sure he isn't trying to be. It was just a misunderstanding.

Jeff-Groves 11-09-21 03:16 PM

Yes. Sometimes I do post like that.
Given one posts the question once and gets no immediate reply usually means no one has an answer.
I will apologize for my reply above.
But thinking and stating anyone may be holding back information is WAY out of line.

I actually saw your first post and was verifying what I remembered being true before answering.

Nisgeis 11-09-21 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mav87th (Post 2777873)
Thanks Jeff

I didn't think you came off that way at all, but there is one phrase that is also an idiom, 'to sit on', that may have been read the wrong way.

https://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/sit+on

Meaning number 2 is 'To suppress, repress, stifle, or hide something.'

I think most people just thought that you meant 'If one of you out there has (sits on) some good information'.

propbeanie 11-10-21 11:55 AM

As mentioned previously in another thread somewhere, it is much much easier to replace what is already there in the game, rather than to add to. "periscope_UpDown.wav" is the target, so Save that somewhere SAFE, and re-name your file "periscope_UpDown.wav", and see how it does.

Mav87th 11-12-21 02:02 AM

@Negeis - i guess your right about that phrase. Learning something new every day :D In Danish that would some off as "have information" and not intentionally not reveling it.

Lets burry that mistake.

@Propbeanie
Yea that is definitly easy. I have done that both with replacing the sound with another with the same name, and also by a new named file, and editing the setting via Silent3D editor.

But what i have is two new sounds. One for the periscope going up and one for scope going down. They are slightly different, why i would like them to be represented both of them.

So....thanks to Jeff i can now try to focus on the .act file with WinHex