SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   Silent Hunter III (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=182)
-   -   Should I end my career when I click on the return back even both engines destroyed? (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=248912)

BK 03-20-21 01:46 AM

Should I end my career when I click on the return back even both engines destroyed?

I was depth charged and had both engines destroyed, but I survived. I tried to use my batteries to return to base, but my battery had limited power. I click on the return back to the base button and I returned even though of engines were destroyed. Should I get a new career?

stork100 03-20-21 03:29 AM

A very interesting scenario. Lots of ways to look at it I think, all in your imagination of course. I can't think of individual examples in reality off-hand (other than U-505) but believe similar incidents did occur. I can see the crew being rescued somehow eventually, but by whom - friend or foe - might depend on the location and time during the war. The boat also creates an interesting dilemma: If it would be towed by whoever got to it first, or simply scuttled on site depending on the sea-worthiness. Then if the boat could be towed to a friendly port, would she be repaired and return to sea again? And with the same crew at that. You might check the hull integrity in your career/patrol logs to give you an idea about the boat's future prospects. I once scrapped a career when I returned to port with something like 9% hull integrity. Figured her patrolling days were over. Perhaps if you have enough renown you can get a new boat and still keep the same crew.

All interesting questions to consider but I'm afraid I'm not offering much of an answer. If it were me I'd probably work out some simple questions based on things like the above, then use a random number generator to essentially throw the dice to discover the fate. But that's just how I'd do it, ultimately whatever pleases you most. Maybe someone else also has a good solution to offer. Let us know what you decide!

:Kaleun_Salute:

VonDos 03-20-21 04:00 AM

Time to take out the oars and be more aggressive! :Kaleun_Salivating::arrgh!::arrgh!::arrgh!:

Best regards,
Vd

John Pancoast 03-20-21 06:34 AM

I know of no real world examples of such a scenario. One of two things usually happened in such a case; the boat was sunk or the boat surfaced and the crew surrendered while scuttling the boat.
But it is entirely up to you how you want to play the game.

stork100 03-20-21 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VonDos (Post 2737528)
Time to take out the oars and be more aggressive! :Kaleun_Salivating::arrgh!::arrgh!::arrgh!:

Best regards,
Vd

The Viking spirit! :haha:

Anvar1061 03-20-21 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Pancoast (Post 2737554)
I know of no real world examples of such a scenario.

https://cont.ws/uploads/pic/2020/12/...86;м.jpg
Soviet submarine Shch-421

John Pancoast 03-20-21 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anvar1061 (Post 2737583)

:haha: Not sure the square footage of that sail would have done much good.

John Pancoast 03-20-21 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VonDos (Post 2737528)

Best regards,
Vd

:haha: :yeah:

Mad Mardigan 03-20-21 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anvar1061 (Post 2737583)

Talk about the ol' slow boat to china boredom... :haha::har:

Have to agree with John on that... :haha: Not sure the square footage of that sail would have done much good.

Think it would work, but speed would probably be like.. a knot, maybe 2, with a good stiff wind behind them... Maybe... :hmmm:

Regardless, it would definitely be slow going. & then having to derig the sail & dive.. no emotors as you can't recharge them... basically, a sitting wounded duck... dead meat.

The use of that uboat, is as good as stick a fork in it.. it's toast.

If you got back & able to grab a new boat, if able & continue.. if not, then start a new career.

M. M.

John Pancoast 03-20-21 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mad Mardigan (Post 2737645)
Talk about the ol' slow boat to china boredom... :haha::har:

Have to agree with John on that... :haha: Not sure the square footage of that sail would have done much good.

Think it would work, but speed would probably be like.. a knot, maybe 2, with a good stiff wind behind them... Maybe... :hmmm:

Regardless, it would definitely be slow going. & then having to derig the sail & dive.. no emotors as you can't recharge them... basically, a sitting wounded duck... dead meat.

The use of that uboat, is as good as stick a fork in it.. it's toast.

If you got back & able to grab a new boat, if able & continue.. if not, then start a new career.

M. M.

:up: Plus, this sub was close to shore via somewhere in the middle of the Atlantic with hostile ships nearby after being depth charged.
Interesting story never the less; thanks Anvar1061.

Anvar1061 03-20-21 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Pancoast (Post 2737655)
Interesting story never the less; thanks Anvar1061.

https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/ima...n_Salute-1.gif