SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   SH5 Mods Workshop (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=249)
-   -   [REL]The Wolves of Steel - SH5 Megamod (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=210703)

vdr1981 10-02-15 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lanzfeld (Post 2348426)
SH3 > SH5 but the mods at least make sh5 playable. I have not yet rage quit sh5 but when I do I know sh3 and NYGM will be waiting.

If you're planing to "ragequit" do it soon because I know from personal experience that players who have played SH5 for some time, even with all remaining glitches, from some reason have difficulties to get back to previous titles. I have opinion too that modded SH3 and SH4 are still better than SH5 in some , but not in all aspects of the game. Still, they are missing the main reason why I still don't give up on SH5 and that is TDW real navigation, probably the single best mod for all SH games ever:yep:.

If you play The Wolves megamod without RN from some reason, then I honestly think that older SH games are still better choice...:yep:

vdr1981 10-02-15 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bosje (Post 2348386)
one minor annoyance which i have a question about:
Morale.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tonci87 (Post 2348389)
That gives me an idea for a new crew ability.

"Will to survive"

-all crew stats get boosted for an hour but after that the morale takes a huge hit, your men are exhausted-

Can something like that be modded into the game?

Usually I will ignore those moral dots because I also think that SH5 moral is a poor substitution for complex crew management like seen in SH4...When I learn more about it I may take a better look into the files to see if theres something that can bee done with it...

vdr1981 10-02-15 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bosje (Post 2348520)
Thanks Peter, just edited my post that i fixed it by sailing back up the entry point but still weird that i lost the anchor. i loaded a save which i made in port after losing it, and continued from that save. probably a bad idea huh? ah well

Anchor mark in Kiel is moved few kilometers to the north so that player can dock without causing too much stress to his hardware (Kiel has always been CTD monster in modded SH5).
Blue anchor mark is your base, not submarine bunker. If yellow anchor mark doesn't pop-up , you should get close to the blue anchor mark in navmap and save/reload the game.
In other bases blue anchor mark will more or less match bunker position...

Bosje 10-02-15 10:27 AM

that clears it up, cheers!

about morale: on my previous playthrough a couple months ago i also ignored the morale but i was thinking: what if the special meal and the crew maintenance powers just added one point WITHOUT taking it away after time out. that might sort it all out. you could keep maybe 5 morale points going throughout a patrol so that if you DO get in trouble the chief still has a damage control ability to save your life.
reason it bothers me is that you also have a 1.WO with battlestations and silent running. those cost morale iicr. so i only have a limited amount of silent running and battlestations during my patrol? lol.

would it be possible to tweak that within the supermod/generic patcher?

succerpunch 10-02-15 11:09 AM

Is there anyway to get the original Silent Hunter 5 main menu background with people standing in the sub pen and the U-Boat floating in the dock by any chance?

Lanzfeld 10-02-15 11:28 AM

Well on the topic of silent running...:hmmm:

Why are there two symbols for silent running? One is when I hit the "z" key (I think it is an ear symbol) and the other is when I hit F7 (I think) and a note with a slash through it appears. Both indicate silent running but what is the difference?:dead:

The disturbing part is the crew continues with repairs during silent running and that seems like it should not be happening. Any ideas? Why???:/\\!!

Also two battle stations symbols? A bell or a man symbol. Why?

Also...talking about repairs I noticed a hammer symbol in the engineers tabs but it doesn't seem to do anything. The crew seems to repair if that hammer button is pressed or not. Can anyone explain this to me?:know:

EDIT.....final question for now please...is there a different ping sound for when you are detected vs when they are searching?

Lanzfeld 10-02-15 11:34 AM

Oh yeah....a little tip on the vanishing anchor symbol. Try hitting "shift Z" a few times.:rock:

Tonci87 10-02-15 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lanzfeld (Post 2348567)
Well on the topic of silent running...:hmmm:

Why are there two symbols for silent running? One is when I hit the "z" key (I think it is an ear symbol) and the other is when I hit F7 (I think) and a note with a slash through it appears. Both indicate silent running but what is the difference?:dead:

The disturbing part is the crew continues with repairs during silent running and that seems like it should not be happening. Any ideas? Why???:/\\!!

Also two battle stations symbols? A bell or a man symbol. Why?

Also...talking about repairs I noticed a hammer symbol in the engineers tabs but it doesn't seem to do anything. The crew seems to repair if that hammer button is pressed or not. Can anyone explain this to me?:know:

EDIT.....final question for now please...is there a different ping sound for when you are detected vs when they are searching?

Would like to know this too. What is the "proper" way of activating Battle station, silent running, or ther things?
Speaking to the crewmember, using the command symbols, hitting a key?

Also, yeah it does bother me too that you can leave silent running and battle station on only for a limited ammount of time because they drain morale so fast, if they drained it a bit slower, that would be nice.

Lanzfeld 10-02-15 11:52 AM

[QUOTE=Tonci87;2348576

Also, yeah it does bother me too that you can leave silent running and battle station on only for a limited ammount of time because they drain morale so fast, if they drained it a bit slower, that would be nice.[/QUOTE]

I didn't even know that. Seems rather silly.

vdr1981 10-02-15 12:03 PM

I'm not sure that I can give you correct answers because I also still don't understand quite well what is going on in game regarding crew related abilities and commands. This needs further testing...Luckily, I have you guys...:D

I know this though:
Yellow hammer- no function
Silent running- no obvious effect on submarine noise signature but I wonder was there any effect ever, in any SH game?:hmm2: Torpedo loading stopped, no propaganda to increase moral.
- Doubled SR/ BS commands - that commes from TDW NewUI's, why? I don't know...:hmmm:

This is the thread which deals with mentioned problems, maybe there you can find some answers...http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=195193

Lanzfeld 10-02-15 12:20 PM

Thanks for the link Vecko.:up:

I read a bit of it and I just don't get it. Moral drops so your crew refuses to pump the water out?!!:har:

I am still going to enjoy SH5 until something this absurd happens.

I agree with you. Certain aspects of the game make it hard to go back. Real nab is cool but I love the detailed harbors. And those sunsets are amazing.

vdr1981 10-02-15 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lanzfeld (Post 2348580)
Thanks for the link Vecko.:up:

I read a bit of it and I just don't get it. Moral drops so your crew refuses to pump the water out?!!:har:

Not exactly...Taken water is pumped out automatically without your inputs, but chief engineer ability to speed up the process by taking command or something can be denied if his moral is low or if he's injured...This at least makes some sense...
Like I said, check the thread and you may find some answers there after which this whole thing wont seem so strange to you...:yep:

Tonci87 10-02-15 01:11 PM

Iīve read about it a bit and it seems as if Morale is really the wrong word, think of it as fatigue. A very long patrol drains your food supplies (something that is not represented in SH5) and you men want to see a bar from time to time and eat smth. proper. Donīt be on patrol for more than 6 weeks.
Also it looks as if skilling your Bosun is extremelly important since he has abilities that will significantly reduce morale decay or give your crew an emergency morale boost. Your cook is also important since he can cook a special meal for your crew wich also restores morale points.
Morale points do not affect basic sub operations but if they are all gone you will not be able to use special commands.

vdr1981 10-02-15 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tonci87 (Post 2348591)
Iīve read about it a bit and it seems as if Morale is really the wrong word, think of it as fatigue. A very long patrol drains your food supplies (something that is not represented in SH5) and you men want to see a bar from time to time and eat smth. proper. Donīt be on patrol for more than 6 weeks.
Also it looks as if skilling your Bosun is extremelly important since he has abilities that will significantly reduce morale decay or give your crew an emergency morale boost. Your cook is also important since he can cook a special meal for your crew wich also restores morale points.
Morale points do not affect basic sub operations but if they are all gone you will not be able to use special commands.

Well explained and I guess you're right...:yep:
Just had a quick look in SpecialAbilities.upc file and there may be still some place for reorganization and improvement of current moral/fatigue/spec.abilities settings.
However , this may require some extensive testing... :yep:

Bosje 10-02-15 02:49 PM

cool, thanks for those updates.

i too was wondering about 2 types of silent running and 2 types of battle stations, but i never notice anything different about how my boat works. i read somewhere that i should have BS on when using deck gun... but they still fail to hit below waterline in any case, which is understandable from a rolling u-boat.

as for fatigue/morale: good point. i guess my suggestion has to be: reduce the rate of degradation and make it so special meal adds a point permanently.
in myu current patrol (2nd mission) i am off the English east coast. been there for 2 days, sinking 8 ships. took a little damage from a fighter which i tried to get repaired with the chief's improved damage control ability. and battle stations.
left both on for 2 hours. didnt really help repairs but my morale is down to 4. had a special meal, but that was yesterday, now morale/fatigue is down to 3.
this is 4 days into the patrol after sinking 8 ships and 2 fighters.
i'd expect to see morale at an all-time high after this. or maybe just a tad shaken for getting attacked by fighters even if we shot em out of the sky.
so i'd be happy to test anything less... babysitty :arrgh!:

edit: i remember now, i did read that thread before (reworked morale)
it's the 'no points for sinking merchants' that unbalances it in my view. add half a point for every merchant over 5000 tons maybe?