SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   Silent Hunter III (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=182)
-   -   Tell us what you are upto in your current campaign (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=151090)

Gargamel 03-06-11 11:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by krashkart (Post 1613910)
Oh man. I've pulled some doozies in the game but that really takes the cake, Gargamel. :rotfl2:

Well..... I got promoted and the injured guy got the wound badge. And 14 guys got the war badge (pre war???)

krashkart 03-06-11 11:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gargamel (Post 1613924)
Well..... I got promoted and the injured guy got the wound badge. And 14 guys got the war badge (pre war???)

Yeah, for some reason the game issues certain things before they are historically available. OTOH you did inadvertently start a battle, and survived, so technically the war badges are applicable. :yeah:

Good to hear that your valiant efforts weren't in vain. :D:salute:

Gereke 03-07-11 02:20 AM

Cue the Benny Hill music... :D

Snestorm 03-07-11 12:32 PM

U28 VII(A) 22.sep.39

Presently in Grid AM35 (A safe distance from the flak gun of U23 IIA).

Working on the return leg of a successful patrol. Went as far as AM53 and hung a u-turn.
4 merchants (1 in convoy) and 2 auxilary vessels sunk for 21.603 GRT. 1 torpedo of 11 remaining (the external stern tube).

Used the deck gun on the 2 auxilaries, which earned me 2 detections.
We were doing very well with the aircaft situation prior to that.
Daylight runs on the surface are not a good idé at the moment.
Looks like we may be out here a-little longer than expected.

ediko 03-07-11 04:23 PM

What a patrol. Got near Gibraltar, sank a lone merchant. Found a Brazilian convoy of 3 ships, sunk them all. Got behind a huge British convoy, couldn't keep up so decided to intercept it in 3 days. Got into my calculated spot, 4 days later- nothing. Searched some more, still nothing. Found another US convoy. Got into a great position to shoot at Aquitania.... all missed... pissed as hell decided to venture into Gibraltar itself, after a few hours at 160m got about 12km close. Spotted a Nelson and a Boque. Decided Nelson needs to check how deep it was, fired 4 torpedoes from 11,8km. No one noticed me, I was watching Nelson hit the bottom with his front.... then nothing for 8 hours. I only had 2 T3's left witch only have 5km range, no way I can get that close. Left for home and docked with measly tonnage, knowing that I could have gone home like a hero, at least the boys are all fine and the boat is in perfect condition, except that it lacks loads of upgrades... Someone at BDU sure doesn't like me, can't even get a sonar and batteries :nope:

VONHARRIS 03-08-11 12:18 AM

U-122 IXB

New career has just began.
I got my new shiny IXB (U-122) with her new skin on December 1 1939.
After 3 days at sea, I set course for AM25 which was my patrol grid.

I am very lucky so far as I have sunk 3 merchants with gunfire , two more with torpedoes and two RN destroyers (one by pure luck)

Current position AM53 looking for targets in 15m/sec winds , mostly submerged doing hydrophone checks.
Crew is performing very well earning valuable experience.

Snestorm 03-08-11 09:46 AM

Patrol 1 . . . maybe.

4.okt.39 U28 VII(A) docked at Wilhelmhaven after sinking 6 enemy vessels for 21.603 GRT.
(Two of the sinking were only auxilaries sunk with gunfire in AM53).

BDU tells me that my career began on "0/0/0", and gave no credit for the sinkings.
On my patrol summary no renown is given, but 1470 new renown found their way into my "account". No medals this time either.

Hope the career doesn't have to be scrapped.

Gerald 03-08-11 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snestorm (Post 1614818)
4.okt.39 U28 VII(A) docked at Wilhelmhaven after sinking 6 enemy vessels for 21.603 GRT.
(Two of the sinking were only auxilaries sunk with gunfire in AM53).

BDU tells me that my career began on "0/0/0", and gave no credit for the sinkings.
On my patrol summary no renown is given, but 1470 new renown found their way into my "account". No medals this time either.

Hope the career doesn't have to be scrapped.

But BdU send credit otherwise,in the end anyway, it will be good, you should see.

Snestorm 03-08-11 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vendor (Post 1614827)
But BdU send credit otherwise,in the end anyway, it will be good, you should see.

I think I'll try for patrol 2 and see what happens, unless somebody on the other thread advises differently. (It's just a VII(A) patrol so far, without a big time investment).

Gerald 03-08-11 10:26 AM

I usually "normal" never start as early as September, in December tend to be part, as a IXB can be delivered, yes.

Snestorm 03-08-11 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vendor (Post 1614846)
I usually "normal" never start as early as September, in December tend to be part, as a IXB can be delivered, yes.

I can start with a IX(A) in september 39, but I chose to start with a VII(A) this time, then get one of the last IXBs commissioned to ride til wars end, or my demise.

VONHARRIS 03-08-11 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snestorm (Post 1614856)
I can start with a IX(A) in september 39, but

How is this possible? I would love to start in 1939 in a IX type.

VonApist 03-09-11 07:45 AM

Restarted carrer - Back to the basics now commanding a Type II from Wilhelmshaven.After an uneventful patrol i decided to try my luck in Portsmouth Harbor. Still 1939 so I thought I could make a try for it - and i was right. Running submerged during the day while crossing the channel, I "moored" 5 Kms away from the mouth of the harbour, submerged and all stopped at 30m depth (shallow waters made all of the crew quite edgy). At 22:00, surfaced the boat, recharged batteries and got some fresh O2. 01:30 made my way, surfaced, to the "mouth" checking depth under keel every 10 mins to get a feeling of the "legspace" i might need. Suprisingly, no destroyers around! The moment i passed the "mouth" of the harbour, day is breaking i again submerge (17m with harbour depth at 20m) and wait the day out. At 23:00 we make the surface , replenish oxygen and head towards the docks. Nothing spectacular. 1 tanker + 1 Merchant. 3 torpedoes later, they are down in flames and i make my way ahead full towards the "mouth". An armed trawler is shooting at me, but i have no deck gun not the will to engage in the harbor. Luckily i make it to the mouth without serious damage (hull integrity 98%). I keep my boat on the surface ahead full. Its after midnight and now a destroyer is after me. Depth under keel 35m - no point in submerging and i have no aft torpedo tubes:x. Well not many options here, as the destroyer is now close enough and starts shelling. I try to zig zag as much as possible - depth under keel now at 50 so i crash dive at 45m full rudder right. 1 torpedo has been reloaded so im not completely naked. I order silent running. Destroyer is almost above me so full ahead and rudder full left - i hear the charges splashing but at 45m it wont take much time. Bang Bang Bang... No damage, but very close. Full ahead, i have a some mins until the destroyer's sonar man recalibrates after the explosion - turning my boat towards the destroyer - at 45m she wont ram me. I dont want to shoot as the angle is tight and if i miss she will spot me in a moment. I make a pass beneath her and order silent running again.Now she is bearing 170 making circles - distance 750m. I keep my running silent and try to put more distance. I get pinged again. I decide to engage as if i hold the hide and seek , another destroyer will appear and in 50m depth i will have no chance. When I surface she is at 600m and the angle is acceptable. I fire tube 1 (slow speed, depth 7m, magnetic) - make or break. Thank God its make and the destroyer gets it. Periscope down, depth 45 full ahead. Im lucky enough to hit probably the engines. She's not down but moving very slow (slower than me which is a feat!). Putting distance now, i've been very lucky. Surfacing, its 02.30 full ahead to deeper waters. Job done with a great amount of luck... The crew probably thinks I am the "iron coffin guru" but we were very lucky that its 1939, there was only one destroyer and that it was night. Back to port...:arrgh!:

Snestorm 03-10-11 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VONHARRIS (Post 1614941)
How is this possible? I would love to start in 1939 in a IX type.

The simplest way to do it, without altering "a million" files is to do one patrol in whatever boat SH3 gives you.

After returning to port reboot your computer.
Go into the "patrols_0" file in your Documents.
Find your next patrol (It's there).
Change the uboat type to 2.
Change the uboat version to 0.
Change the Uboat number to whatever you like.
That's a IXB.

It is a bit more historical to start with a IX(A).
((Just use a IXB without stern reloads. And G7A torpedoes in the stern tubes because, they were external tubes with no way to reload at sea. Same for the VII(A).)

Reboot again before playing.

Snestorm 03-10-11 09:15 AM

U28 VII(A). Patrol 2 completed.

Underway from Willy on 1.nov.39.
Patrol Grid is AN13 (Just west of the shortcut above Scapa Flow).
U28 went the long way, north of The Shetlands.
2 merchants and 1 auxilary (Ocean Going Tug) were sunk for 9.923 GRT.

The Ocean Going Tug was sunk with stern shot, during a pre-sunrise submerged attack 10 miles outside the western entrance to Scapa Flow for 1.141 GRT in AN15.
Prior to that the RN had been keeping a low profile.
We remained undetected and crawled towards the deeper water of our assigned grid.

U28 returned to Willy on 23.nov.39
Her track record thus far is:
2 patrols. 9 vessels sunk for 31.526 GRT.

VONHARRIS 03-11-11 11:30 AM

Thank you Snestorm.
I will do this in my next career.

Sailor Steve 03-11-11 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snestorm (Post 1616401)
((Just use a IXB without stern reloads. And G7A torpedoes in the stern tubes because, they were external tubes with no way to reload at sea. Same for the VII(A).)

I use Wreford-Brown's Type VIIa mod, which not only removes the stern reload but also the forward externals, and changes the engine speeds and range.
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/down...o=file&id=1872

Snestorm 03-11-11 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VONHARRIS (Post 1617199)
Thank you Snestorm.
I will do this in my next career.

You're very welcome.
Enjoy.

flag4 03-11-11 04:06 PM

...where is Paul Riley?

Snestorm 03-11-11 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sailor Steve (Post 1617221)
I use Wreford-Brown's Type VIIa mod, which not only removes the stern reload but also the forward externals, and changes the engine speeds and range.
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/down...o=file&id=1872

Hmmm. "Ain't" we thinking alike?
That's neat.
I usualy work the whole crew on our way out of port getting rid of the excess torpedoes.

I've got all the Engine Telegraph settings reset on all my boats.
Same top speed and range, just more realistic and functional settings on the telegraph.
VIIB
Slow: 4,128 / 1,92 Knots (For silent speed submerged).
One Third: 6,88 / 3,2 Knots (Most economical surface speed).
Standard: 11,532 / 5,28 Knots (Perfect).
Full: 16,656 / 7,84 Knots
Flank: 17,2 / 8 Knots

IXB
Slow: 4,914 / 1,971 Knots
One Third: 7,28 / 2,92 Knots
Standard: 10,012 / 4,818 Knots
Full: 17,836 / 7,154 Knots
Flank: 18,2 / 7,3

Slow, One Third, and Standard are all slower than stock.
Full is a-little faster, and less economical, than stock.
Flank is unchanged

No more having to man the CE's station to get my submerged speed right. Slow.
And One Third is now, as it should be, the most commonly used surface speed.

What thinks Steve?