SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   Red Storm Rising (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=199)
-   -   Questions re mission 8 (warning spoilers) (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=87867)

Hobnail 12-30-05 04:03 AM

Questions re mission 8 (warning spoilers)

Without giving it away in the title, I got bounced in the first 2 minutes by an Orion who dropped a Mk50 on me and cheesed it :huh:

I picked him up on ESM before that when I came to radio depth disregarded it as a friendly or neutral. I turned truth on after unsuccesfully firing snapshots down the bearing then blasting the area with the active as I was expecting to find a SSN nearby. The P-3 turned up as hostile.

Now...I read RSR aloooong time ago and can't remember much detail but was there a blue on blue that this was based on or is there something less intended at work?

EDIT: And if I continue on I get a friendly linked Kilo Novogorod popping into existence 10nm SW of me. It then promptly disappears just before the traitorous Orion drops another torp on it.

Currently using 1.03B with LWAMI 2.03b

OneShot 12-30-05 07:57 AM

There is a blue on blue in RSR. I don't remember exactly when (in the book) however it includes an Orion who mistakenly drops a torpedo on a friendly sub (which would be you).

Cheers
OS

Bill Nichols 12-30-05 09:46 AM

Roger that. In my mission design, I went to lengths to make the Blue-on-Blue occur, like in the novel. (That's the reason for the disappearing Kilo -- I needed a temporary target for the Orion to drop torps on.) :-j

TLAM Strike 12-30-05 11:37 AM

Same reason why the Russians have UAVs in the Respite mission eh Bill? You thought you could sneak one in on my watch? Not even a toy airplane like the predator can make it past my FFG undetected! :P

Bill Nichols 12-30-05 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TLAM Strike
Same reason why the Russians have UAVs in the Respite mission eh Bill? You thought you could sneak one in on my watch? Not even a toy airplane like the predator can make it past my FFG undetected! :P

:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

;)

DeepSixNiner 12-31-05 05:08 PM

In the novel, the blue-on-blue encounter happend in Chapter 19 (Journeys End/Journeys Begin). After being orderd out of the Barents, USS Chicago went to periscope depth to check for orders, and was quickly dropped on by a Norwegian P-3.

Well done, Bill. I forgot all about that one in the novel, and made the same mistake McCafferty made, but was unable to avoid the torp.

Back to give it another try.

Cheers.

Hobnail 01-02-06 01:22 AM

Ahh I thought it was something like that.

Thanks Bill!

Barleyman 02-26-06 10:17 AM

Hrngh.

Me, I picked up orders on floating wire. Picked up the Kilo which teleported right next to me.. Wondering what's this contact which shows up on bow sonar only .. and then TIW, Aargh!

That was bit cheesy, IMO, as I kept low profile..

Barleyman 02-26-06 01:04 PM

I quess I got picked at for going to peri depth for EW survey. On 2nd round I went nowhere near the surface and didn't get jumped by orion..

Bill Nichols 02-26-06 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barleyman
Hrngh.

Me, I picked up orders on floating wire...

Hmmm, I should check for that and not do the P-3 attack unless the player is at PD. Maybe in the next version :hmm:

JM850 01-01-08 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Nichols
Quote:

Originally Posted by Barleyman
Hrngh.

Me, I picked up orders on floating wire...

Hmmm, I should check for that and not do the P-3 attack unless the player is at PD. Maybe in the next version :hmm:

and not to nitpick, put the Norwegian P-3 drops a MK-46, not a 50