SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   SH4 U-Boat Missions Add On (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=232)
-   -   [TEC] Game keeps crashing on me, please help. (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=255941)

OmniGundam 08-25-23 11:08 AM

Game keeps crashing on me, please help.

This is my first post, and and I was kinda hoping I wouldn't need to, but I'm tired of hitting my head against the wall.
I managed to get sh4 uboat working, and I like it, but I keeps crashing on me and killing my mood to play it.
There are 2 crashes that happen to me.
1st, sometimes the game just CTD while I'm sailing. There's no real consistency here, so unfortunately I can't give exact details.
2nd, whenever I'm about to sink a ship, the game CTD. The moment before the torpedo impacts, the game just dies. For instance, I hit a tanker with 2 torpedos, and after waiting to see if it sinks, I decide to hit it with a 3rd. Just as it reaches the target, right before the explosion, CTD.
I'm not using any mods, but I did try to download them before and I don't know if I cleaned up properly.
I am running LAA.
Please help, I want to play with the splashy boats.

KaleunMarco 08-25-23 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OmniGundam (Post 2882187)
This is my first post, and and I was kinda hoping I wouldn't need to, but I'm tired of hitting my head against the wall.
I managed to get sh4 uboat working, and I like it, but I keeps crashing on me and killing my mood to play it.
There are 2 crashes that happen to me.
1st, sometimes the game just CTD while I'm sailing. There's no real consistency here, so unfortunately I can't give exact details.
2nd, whenever I'm about to sink a ship, the game CTD. The moment before the torpedo impacts, the game just dies. For instance, I hit a tanker with 2 torpedos, and after waiting to see if it sinks, I decide to hit it with a 3rd. Just as it reaches the target, right before the explosion, CTD.
I'm not using any mods, but I did try to download them before and I don't know if I cleaned up properly.
I am running LAA.
Please help, I want to play with the splashy boats.

ok, welcome omnigundam.

since you are a confessed newbie, let's start with the basics.
into which folder did you install SH4? it's important.
we'll dive deeper once you reply.
:Kaleun_Salute:

OmniGundam 08-25-23 04:31 PM

It's a steam download, but it's not in the program files folder, either of them. It's in steamapps.
Just double checked, its in the SteamLibrary.

Aktungbby 08-25-23 05:15 PM

Welcome aboard!

Quote:

Originally Posted by OmniGundam (Post 2882187)
but I'm tired of hitting my head against the wall.

OmniGundam!:Kaleun_Salute:..shoulda been: " I'm tired of :damn:"...saves keyboard time!:O::shucks::arrgh!:

OmniGundam 08-25-23 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aktungbby (Post 2882260)
OmniGundam!:Kaleun_Salute:..shoulda been: " I'm tired of :damn:"...saves keyboard time!:O::shucks::arrgh!:

I was on my phone.

KaleunMarco 08-25-23 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OmniGundam (Post 2882255)
It's a steam download, but it's not in the program files folder, either of them. It's in steamapps.
Just double checked, its in the SteamLibrary.

ok, thank you for that.

are you running under Win10?
you should check out this thread which focuses on SH4/Win10.
https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/sho...d.php?t=221366

OmniGundam 08-25-23 08:45 PM

I think it's 11.
Edit: it is.

KaleunMarco 08-25-23 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OmniGundam (Post 2882281)
I think it's 11.
Edit: it is.

ok, Win11 & SH4....coming up
here is the SH4 & Win 11 Thread. lots of good stuff.

OmniGundam 08-25-23 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KaleunMarco (Post 2882283)
ok, Win11 & SH4....coming up
here is the SH4 & Win 11 Thread. lots of good stuff.

Ok, that has nothing to do with my problems.
I can start the game, it just crashes on me.

KaleunMarco 08-25-23 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OmniGundam (Post 2882285)
Ok, that has nothing to do with my problems.
I can start the game, it just crashes on me.

then the issue is a basic issue probably an installation thing.
my installation is from DVD and i have no problems however from what i have read from Steam users in the past, Steam installations have issues.

PB will online over the weekend and maybe he will have some suggestions.

Sorry i could not help.

OmniGundam 08-25-23 10:31 PM

Thinking about it I really only had this problem after taking out FOTRS. Is anyone aware of how to hard reset my files? I feel like that might work.
Uninstalling and reinstalling doesn't work fyi.

propbeanie 08-26-23 10:32 AM

When you take a mod out of SH4, it should leave your SH4.exe the way it was with the Compatibility settings. However, especially when changing out a major mod, such as FotRSU, you do have to empty the Save game folder again, else you have a combination of FotRSU and Stock (or whatever mod you may have added since). Navigate into C:\Users \UserName \Documents \SH4 and delete everything, then try to run SH4.exe again. :salute:

btw - you will have to re-set all of your Options for the game...

OmniGundam 08-26-23 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by propbeanie (Post 2882331)
When you take a mod out of SH4, it should leave your SH4.exe the way it was with the Compatibility settings. However, especially when changing out a major mod, such as FotRSU, you do have to empty the Save game folder again, else you have a combination of FotRSU and Stock (or whatever mod you may have added since). Navigate into C:\Users \UserName \Documents \SH4 and delete everything, then try to run SH4.exe again. :salute:

btw - you will have to re-set all of your Options for the game...

:Kaleun_Applaud::Kaleun_Applaud::Kaleun_Cheers::Ka leun_Cheers:
That worked. Thanks so much.

OmniGundam 08-26-23 01:53 PM

it didn't. I was about to reach my objective and I CTD.
I did manage to sink something, but it still crashes while sailing.

OmniGundam 08-26-23 02:44 PM

To be clear, it doesn't always happen, but its rage inducing when it does. I'd like to stop it if I can.