SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   Silent Hunter 5 (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=244)
-   -   Bstanko6’s Manual Targeting School (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=240116)

red_scope 04-24-19 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bstanko6 (Post 2605627)
I just hit 190 subscribers to my YouTube channel!

It means a lot to me guys. It tells me that I am teaching something useful and I appreciate it.

If there is anything you would like to see personally, let me know, and if I can do it I will make the video.

Bob

I was actually looking at your videos this past weekend after a small R/R period away from the subs. Thanks to your lessons I'm back racking up that tonnage quotas. :up:

bstanko6 04-25-19 03:05 PM

Thank you red scope... much appreciated!

XenonSurf 04-25-19 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bstanko6 (Post 2605785)
Thank you red scope... much appreciated!

Hi Bstanko6,
Have you a video in your collection that could help me in situations where I need to make very fast torpedo solutions - within seconds - because the target moves very fast and is close (too close to waste time making long plottings and calculations on a map)?

Here I have the most shoot missings and trouble to figure out good torpedo solutions when using manual TDC :)
Thanks very much,

XS

bstanko6 04-25-19 09:55 PM

@XenonSurf... I currently do not. In those situations, if I really want that ship, I try to identify if possible so I can get a max speed from the rec manual. I look at the stern wake to see how 'fast' the ship is going.... which is not exact mind you. I try to set up a salvo at a higher degree... and then pray.

I had a troop ship flying past me, and I missed. It happens... but when I hit, it's pure love!

As far as solution, you just go with instinct. That takes time and practice. Set up for a quick 90 degree attack, and adjust last second. Forget range if you don't have time.

Good luck!

XenonSurf 04-26-19 06:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bstanko6 (Post 2605832)
@XenonSurf... I currently do not. In those situations, if I really want that ship, I try to identify if possible so I can get a max speed from the rec manual. I look at the stern wake to see how 'fast' the ship is going.... which is not exact mind you. I try to set up a salvo at a higher degree... and then pray.

I had a troop ship flying past me, and I missed. It happens... but when I hit, it's pure love!

As far as solution, you just go with instinct. That takes time and practice. Set up for a quick 90 degree attack, and adjust last second. Forget range if you don't have time.

Good luck!

Thanks for your in-sights, I appreciate! :up:
Thats' what I have imagined, there are situation where planing goes out of the window, you need improvisation and luck. I will try to remind your advice and put it in practise...

Cheers!
XS

bstanko6 04-26-19 09:51 AM

Hope it helps. I have been playing since SH1. Instinct comes with time when you’ve been through a gazillion different scenarios.

I tell people in situations like you describe... learn AOB identification by heart! It’s the one skill you can learn by looking at photos, and not even play the game! My AOB simplified video explains how we really only need to recognize 5 degrees, and differentiate port/starboard.

If you can develop a sense of AOB by sight... you will cut solution calculation by ridiculous amounts of time!

John Pancoast 04-26-19 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bstanko6 (Post 2605915)
Hope it helps. I have been playing since SH1. Instinct comes with time when you’ve been through a gazillion different scenarios.

I tell people in situations like you describe... learn AOB identification by heart! It’s the one skill you can learn by looking at photos, and not even play the game! My AOB simplified video explains how we really only need to recognize 5 degrees, and differentiate port/starboard.

If you can develop a sense of AOB by sight... you will cut solution calculation by ridiculous amounts of time!

Exactly. So much of the info. that complex methods use to generate, can easily be done via eyeball observation.
Figure out course and speed via visual limits tracking, setup a fast 90, done.

bstanko6 05-10-19 01:29 PM

Hunting by Sound TWoS Edition

We need to remember, that hunting by sound at the end of the hunt, means getting a visual of our target as per Kriegsmarine regulations.

Please review my Hunting by Sound 1 & 2.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1iHW...ature=youtu.be

bstanko6 05-24-23 07:58 PM

Bump