SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   UBOAT (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=281)
-   -   Could torpedo be fired in sequence but manually in RL? (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=249679)

xXNightEagleXx 06-13-21 04:54 AM

Could torpedo be fired in sequence but manually in RL?

In SH you can flood all tubes but manually fire each tube, while in this game all flooded tubes get fired. For that reason you cannot simple, compute the lead angle, position yourself and manually fire torpedoes, while they go through your periscope, by manually aiming to each compartment.

I believe that in real life it was possible to manually fire them, but i would like to confirm that.

I mean i had fun in SH (3,4,5) to set a Cromwell 45 degree angle attack and simple fire as i wish, here instead i'm forced to use spread mode which is not the same.

derstosstrupp 06-14-21 12:46 PM

UBOAT doesn’t get it right. SH3/5 did with respect to single shots and fan shots.

Generally all tubes were flooded for fire early in the process. Then the order was given for a single shot or series of single shots (“verbundene Einzelschüsse”), or a fan shot (“Fächerschuss”). The selections were made on a switch box beneath the chart table in the control room (on the VII).

Fans were used at longer ranges OR if there was significant uncertainty in target data, the goal being to get at least 1 hit with the assumption that at least one will miss (since the fan covers the entire target length). A series of single shots was used when data was certain, to ensure a valuable target sinks.

The decision to make it how it is in UBOAT is puzzling; the again, I’m constantly puzzled by design decisions vis a vis historical realities in that game…..

xXNightEagleXx 06-14-21 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by derstosstrupp (Post 2752542)
UBOAT doesn’t get it right. SH3/5 did with respect to single shots and fan shots.

Generally all tubes were flooded for fire early in the process. Then the order was given for a single shot or series of single shots (“verbundene Einzelschüsse”), or a fan shot (“Fächerschuss”). The selections were made on a switch box beneath the chart table in the control room (on the VII).

Fans were used at longer ranges OR if there was significant uncertainty in target data, the goal being to get at least 1 hit with the assumption that at least one will miss (since the fan covers the entire target length). A series of single shots was used when data was certain, to ensure a valuable target sinks.

The decision to make it how it is in UBOAT is puzzling; the again, I’m constantly puzzled by design decisions vis a vis historical realities in that game…..

Thanks mate i was looking for RL historical reference and you sent it, thanks again

xXNightEagleXx 06-14-21 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by derstosstrupp (Post 2752542)

By the way i couldn't hold myself from clicking on your links and boy you gave me a lot contents to read and see about, that's a museum right there.

derstosstrupp 06-14-21 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xXNightEagleXx (Post 2752581)
By the way i couldn't hold myself from clicking on your links and boy you gave me a lot contents to read and see about, that's a museum right there.

Ok great to hear! Let me know if you have any questions on it, happy to help.

Comrade1414 06-19-21 02:01 PM

They just released a patch on the unstable branch that now let's you do as you described.:Kaleun_Salute: