SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   Silent Hunter III (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=182)
-   -   Open Frequency (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=151617)

cueball7000 05-09-09 06:50 PM

Open Frequency

I have just begun my SHIII Campaign. I am using the GWX3.0 Mod and Commander 2.7. While heading to the patrol grid, I receive a radio message like this:

SSS 49 Degrees 57' minutes N, 15 Degrees 34' Minutes W

S.S. Regent Tiger.

What does this mean and how to I find this location on my navigation map? There are no markers for it, only the grid locations. Thank You. First time forum user.

Torplexed 05-09-09 07:13 PM

Welcome aboard!

GWX puts in a lot of radio messages that are just there for historical flavor. This one just represents a ship in distress probably. No need to go to the location.

mookiemookie 05-09-09 07:59 PM

The only radio messages you need to worry about are the ones that plot single ships, convoys, or task forces on your nav map. The rest, as Torplexed said, are historical messages that have been added for immersion purposes only. The ships in question don't exist in the realm of SH3's dynamic campaign.

Pvt. Public 05-09-09 08:18 PM

the first couple i thought were kinda cool, seeing distress calls of sinking ships and all. then it got kinda annoying to get dragged out of TC for it. only one stuck out in my mind though, the one message that was simply "tor..." real eerie

cueball7000 05-09-09 09:35 PM

Thank you all. I was afraid I was missing out on some action. Time to learn some more about being an U-Boat captain.

ekkerr 05-10-09 01:44 AM

if you remove the radio man from his station you will not be plauged with all those little messages

Jimbuna 05-10-09 06:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cueball7000 (Post 1098629)
Thank you all. I was afraid I was missing out on some action. Time to learn some more about being an U-Boat captain.

SINK EM ALL!! http://www.psionguild.org/forums/ima...ies/pirate.gif

Platapus 05-10-09 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cueball7000 (Post 1098585)

SSS 49 Degrees 57' minutes N, 15 Degrees 34' Minutes W

S.S. Regent Tiger.

What does this mean

SSS was radio shorthand for reporting a submarine. Some references have it listed as Submarine Sighting Signal, but other sources claim this is a backronym.

SSS in morse code consists of three dots which is an easy to remember and more importantly easy to recognize on the receiving end.

The exact usage of SSS is also conflicting. Some sources cite SSS as being used when a ship sighted a submarine. Other sources cite SSS being used when a ship was attacked by a submarine.

Sailor Steve 05-10-09 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Platapus (Post 1099054)
...backronym.

:rotfl:

I like it!:rock:

FIREWALL 05-10-09 05:09 PM

What they all said. :yep:

Madox58 05-10-09 05:31 PM

The first distress call used by the early Marconi Company was CQD -- CQ being the general call to alert other ships that a message is coming and D standing for 'danger' or 'distress.' 'For various technical reasons this proved unsatisfactory and in 1908, by international agreement, a signal made up of three dits, three dahs and three dits was adopted as the one most easily transmitted and understood. By coincidence, this signal is translatable as SOS. During World War II a new distress signal, SSS, was devised for use only when the cause of the distress was a submarine torpedoing." From the "Morris Dictionary of Word and Phrase Origins" by William and Mary Morris (HarperCollins Publishers, New York, N.Y., 1977, 1988)

And if playing GWX 2.0 and up?
You can hear the CQD in Morse if you know where to find it.

Platapus 05-10-09 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by privateer (Post 1099074)
The first distress call used by the early Marconi Company was CQD -- CQ being the general call to alert other ships that a message is coming and D standing for 'danger' or 'distress.'

Good gouge here. Way better than the old story about CQD meaning "come quick danger" which never did make sense. :yeah:

Platapus 05-10-09 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by privateer (Post 1099074)
... in 1908, by international agreement, a signal made up of three dits, three dahs and three dits was adopted as the one most easily transmitted and understood. By coincidence, this signal is translatable as SOS.

Here is the citation. Although the agreement was signed in 1906, As Privateer stated, it became in force in 1908

INTERNATIONAL WIRELESS TELEGRAPH CONVENTION November 3, 1906

SERVICE REGULATIONS ANNEXED TO THE INTERNATIONAL WIRELESS TELEGRAPH CONVENTION. 3 November, 1906

Article XVI
Quote:

Ships in distress shall use the following signal:
...---...

http://earlyradiohistory.us/1906conv.htm

Trivia questions

What was the first ship to use CQD?
What was the first ship to use SOS [no it was not the Titanic]
And what did RRR mean? :D

Madox58 05-10-09 08:24 PM

The Titanic used CQD as well as SOS.
It was, however, sent on a Spark Transmitter.
Here's the original transmission.
http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaver...72/titanic.wav

RRR = Surface Raider

In the early morning of January 23rd, 1909, whilst sailing into New York from Liverpool,
RMS Republic collided with the Italian liner SS Florida in fog off the island
of Nantucket.
This was the first occasion on which the CQD distress call had been sent by wireless transmission.

The first ship to transmit an SOS distress call appears to have been
the Cunard liner Slavonia on June 10th, 1909,
according to "Notable Achievements of Wireless" in the September, 1910 Modern Electrics.

Platapus 05-10-09 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by privateer (Post 1099129)

RRR = Surface Raider

Correct! :salute: