SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   SH5 Mods Workshop (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=249)
-   -   [REL]The Wolves of Steel - SH5 Megamod (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=210703)

ThePrody 03-16-19 01:17 PM

yes, i guess. In SH3 there are mods like 16 km Atmosphere mod or 20 km env mod , they expand the 8 km vanilla one.

I was asking because, in my opinion, the hull-down effect looks way to severe in TWoS, friendly destroyers close to home base are a good example , they are at 4-5 km distance and half of the ship's hull is under the water, i'm pretty sure irl you can see the entire ship at that distance.
i noticed the Earth radius is around 330 000 - that creates the severe hull-down effect that i was talking about, in SH3 for a 20 km env, a radius that gives a realistic hull vanishing effect is something around 2 500 000 .

i dont know why there is such a low radius , maybe there are other things to consider in sh5 that i dont know about or with a 40 km env i guess you want to make sure ships disappear and you will not see them at an unrealistic distance . From what i understand, watch crew could see ships at 18-20 km distance .

Sjizzle 03-16-19 04:15 PM

TWOS no black screen

Before throwing arrows in to my ass i wanna say that This one it's a WIP one if u don't wanna use it's fine for me i will :P ... i need some permission to use some graphics and also do not ask for download link now there is not download link thx!

Have a nice day Sjizzle

https://youtu.be/dfHhzuz60z0

vdr1981 03-16-19 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sjizzle (Post 2597457)
Before throwing arrows in to my ass i wanna say that This one it's a WIP one if u don't wanna use it fine for me i will :P ... i need some permission to use some graphics and also do not ask for download link thx!

Have a nice day Sjizzle

Ahaaa, I think I know what you have in mind. Disabled NewUIs SOAN and XO dialog box/stock recognition manual in somewhat different form...Interesting thinking...:hmm2:

Sjizzle 03-16-19 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vdr1981 (Post 2597460)
Ahaaa, I think I know what you have in mind. Disabled NewUIs SOAN and XO dialog box/stock recognition manual in somewhat different form...Interesting thinking...:hmm2:

:Kaleun_Applaud:

Fifi 03-16-19 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sjizzle (Post 2597457)

:o:o:o :yeah:

ThePrody 03-17-19 03:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vdr1981 (Post 2597422)
Environment? Rendering distance you mean? If Yes then it's 40 km by default but it can be increased even more trough the Generic Patcher ...

Hi
About that value, is there any particular reason why it needs to be 40 km?
I was thinking that, since ships farther than 18-20 km were already invisible ( being over the horizon already ) , why not changing it to 20km and adjust the Earth radius so that it gives a realistic "ship vanishing hull " over the horizon ?

I know how to adjust the Earth radius but i dont know how to change that rendering distance, if you could help me with that , i am curious to try it and see how it looks like with those values that were optimal in some 20 km SH3 atmosphere mods .
Thanks

vdr1981 03-17-19 04:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThePrody (Post 2597525)
Hi

So that can units interact even if they are beyond our visual range...In perfect visual conditions, max visual range for "smoke on the horizon" in SH5 is 18-20 km which is quite realistic as far as I can tell.

kapuhy 03-17-19 04:43 AM

Quote:

Hi

Not quite sure, but from what I remember if a ship leaves rendering distance its damage/ammo gets reset, so smaller distance would cause problems when shadowing convoy between attacks.

Sjizzle 03-17-19 04:48 AM

Quote:

Hi
I was thinking that, since ships farther than 18-20 km were already invisible ( being over the horizon already ) , why not changing it to 20km and adjust the Earth radius so that it gives a realistic "ship vanishing hull " over the horizon ?

I know how to adjust the Earth radius but i dont know how to change that rendering distance, if you could help me with that , i am curious to try it and see how it looks like with those values that were optimal in some 20 km SH3 atmosphere mods .
Thanks

change it in TDW's Generic Patcher

http://www.mediafire.com/convkey/189...98v7jc7pzg.jpg

vdr1981 03-17-19 05:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sjizzle (Post 2597536)

This patch is only for distance increase (+10 km with TWoS settings, TDW stock was +40km)...It can't be decreased.

Sjizzle 03-17-19 05:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vdr1981 (Post 2597541)
This patch is only for distance increase (+10 km with TWoS settings, TDW stock was +40km)...It can't be decreased.

oky sorry for misunderstandings

ThePrody 03-17-19 06:37 AM

i will try to test with different Earth Radius values and see if i can get a more realistic hull-down and vanishing hull effect .

@vdr1981 how far does the bridge crew can see ? let's say i turn the Earth into a flat disc and i can see ships at 40 km, will they report the contact or they are restricted by some max range visual sensor values?

vdr1981 03-17-19 07:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThePrody (Post 2597561)
i will try to test with different Earth Radius values and see if i can get a more realistic hull-down and vanishing hull effect .

@vdr1981 how far does the bridge crew can see ? let's say i turn the Earth into a flat disc and i can see ships at 40 km, will they report the contact or they are restricted by some max range visual sensor values?

Around 20 km during the clear sunny day...You'll hardly see anything though, but trained watchman can see smoke...

Sjizzle 03-17-19 07:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThePrody (Post 2597561)

@

if u will do that all the navigation fixes will be inaccurate and misplaced also the lang / long and the equator will be also misplaced ...and also each port too

if u wish to modify the radius only to see how to ship disappear bottom up u don't need to do that ....
it's very simple use this formula and u will find how far is the horizon from u

D= √h² + 2rh

d = distance to the horizon
h = height of the observer above sea level
r = radius of the Earth

Earth radius r=6,371km

This equation will work for any size world, and any height of observer. Anyone using this equation should be aware, however, that its result, d, is the straight-line distance from the observer's eyes to the horizon, and not the distance to the horizon along the ground (which will be longer).

for a person with the eye level of 2m the horizon will be at 5km beyond that all object will disappear bottom up

PS. A flat plane can not make horizon it's geometrically impossible

Tonci87 03-17-19 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sjizzle (Post 2597584)
if u will do that all the navigation fixes will be inaccurate and misplaced also the lang / long and the equator will be also misplaced ...and also each port too

if u wish to modify the radius only to see how to ship disappear bottom up u don't need to do that ....
it's very simple use this formula and u will find how far is the horizon from u

D= √h² + 2rh

d = distance to the horizon
h = height of the observer above sea level
r = radius of the Earth

Earth radius r=6,371km

This equation will work for any size world, and any height of observer. Anyone using this equation should be aware, however, that its result, d, is the straight-line distance from the observer's eyes to the horizon, and not the distance to the horizon along the ground (which will be longer).

for a person with the eye level of 2m the horizon will be at 5km beyond that all object will disappear bottom up

PS. A flat plane can not make horizon it's geometrically impossible

So you are saying that a realistic value for the earth radius inside sh5 would completely break navigation and port locations?
Is there a way to introduce a realitic earth radius without breaking all that?

It would be nice to have that, because currently ships really disappear behind the horizon way too early. Also if we could solve this, it would eliminate the ships wake that we can see in the water, aven though we can not see the water line.

Why did they make the game like this? :doh: