SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   SH5 Mods Workshop (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=249)
-   -   [REL]The Wolves of Steel - SH5 Megamod (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=210703)

MCM 06-12-15 07:37 AM

understood, perfect.

Last questions, I promise :D
- why is maximum wind speed at 60m/s deactivated? Would bring better/higher waves didn't it?

vdr1981 06-12-15 07:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MCM (Post 2320541)
understood, perfect.

Last questions, I promise :D
- why is maximum wind speed at 60m/s deactivated? Would bring better/higher waves didn't it?

Actually it can't...
It is irrelevant is it max game wind speed 15 or 60 m/s. All waves parameters are drown from seaparameters.cfg file and anyyhing more extreme will look unrealistic and ridiculous. Also with 60m/s patch enabled clouds and smoke will move unnaturally fast...The game is to much optimized for max 15m/s and that's it...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sjizzle (Post 2320532)
the nvidia fix is for the light bulbs if i remember as well and yes u can change all key bindings from the command.cfg file ....

Correct...

vdr1981 06-12-15 11:57 AM

Here's how AI sonarmen detection ranges/areas should look on a boat equipped with two types of hydrophones (GHG+KDB, TWoS feature largely thanks to Gap)...Note that these are maximum ranges and range will also vary with depth...

http://s6.postimg.org/5nxd9cyk1/image.png
Sry for my poor paint skilles...:D

gap 06-12-15 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vdr1981 (Post 2320580)
Here's how AI sonarmen detection ranges/areas should look on a boat equipped with two types of hydrophones (GHG+KDB, TWoS feature largely thanks to Gap)...Note that these are maximum ranges and range will also vary with depth...

Did you manage getting the two sensors to work together? I remember silly things were happening during our first tests. In real life the sonarman could switch at wish the two of them, but in game he couldn't decide which one to use, even after the KDB was destroyed. :hmm2:

vdr1981 06-12-15 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gap (Post 2320631)
Did you manage getting the two sensors to work together? I remember silly things were happening during our first tests. In real life the sonarman could switch at wish the two of them, but in game he couldn't decide which one to use, even after the KDB was destroyed. :hmm2:

Hey Gap, I'm glad you're still with us!:rock:
I'm testing your idea since or first talk and since I released this megamod...Back then I didn't quite understand what is going on but now I'm pretty much sure that concept with two hydrophones can work really great, even better then with just one...

AI sonarmen handles it really good and his detection zone looks just like on the picture, if contact is at bering 000 ~50km away it cant be heard, but if you move to something like 35 km then KDB controllers will kick in and contact will be reported...If you stay 50 km away and turn your boat so that contact is now at bearing 340 , contact will be reported again but this time by GHG controllers...

Why do I think that two hydrophones are actually better then stock one hydro?
You are aware of game issue when player can hear audio contacts in all directions, even at bearing 000/180, right? Now, using two hydrophones will actually justify this bug to some extent because rotating KDB device should be usable in almost all directions. Knowing that player's ability to hear contacts is limited to something like 40 km, it matches almost perfectly...

The only glitch is notable with type VIIB and C/41 where, if KDB is destroyed hydrophone needle will stay frozen for player's use but only until the game is saved/reloaded. Still AI sonarmen will continue to operate just right with operating hydrophone. :yep:

gap 06-12-15 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vdr1981 (Post 2320545)
Actually it can't...
It is irrelevant is it max game wind speed 15 or 60 m/s. All waves parameters are drown from seaparameters.cfg file and anyyhing more extreme will look unrealistic and ridiculous. Also with 60m/s patch enabled clouds and smoke will move unnaturally fast...The game is to much optimized for max 15m/s and that's it...

I never managed understanding how TDW's wind speed patch is interacts with the rest of SH5's weather setting.

In theory, the game should pick wind speeds for each climate zone/season combination from the corresponding min/max windspeed parameters set in climate weather cfg files, each cfg file corresponding to a particular climate zone. In vanilla game min and max wind speeds are always set to 1 and 15 respectively, irrespective of climate zone and season. In Dynamic Environment we narrowed down this range, in an effort to create more variotion between different climate areas and seasons by actually reducing intra-seasonal/intra-zonal variation. Since nowhere in game files wind speeds higher than 15 m/s are set, TDW's patch should take no effect unless weather cfg files are set to allow higher wind speeds than the stock 15 m/s. If those parameters were applied correctly, (and not, as guess, bypassed), we wouldn't be forced to use the maximum theoretical wind speed of 60 m/s: we could rather set the maxwindspeed parameter of the windiest climate zones/seasons to a more reasonable 20 or 30 m/s.
There is more: as rightly noted by you, wind-related wave parameters are set in seaparameters.cfg file. If I remember correctly the vanilla cfg file contains settings for 0, 5, 10 and 15 m/s wind speeds, but one could add/remove any set of windspeed parameters, as far as the two stock extremes (0 and 15 m/s) are represented into the file. Parameters for missing wind speeds are simply interpolated from available data. Now my question is: where does the game get data for wind speeds higher than 15 m/s, since all the available wave mods have 15 m/s as their maximum wind speed?

I once asked TDW for clarifications, but I never received an answer to my doubts. :hmmm:

gap 06-12-15 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vdr1981 (Post 2320638)
Hey Gap, I'm glad you're still with us!:rock:

Hi Vecko, I am similarly glad to see that some of my old subsim friends, including you, are still hard at work on our game. :salute:
I could actually resume my modding activity anytime soon: I have just recently bought a new laptop. I haven't installed SH5 and the relevant modding utilities yet, but a 2.4 GHz 5th generation i7 processor (of the low power consumpion version though), 16 GB of RAM, and a GeForce GTX 850M with 4 GB of dedicated RAM, should be enough for any gaming and modding purpose as far as games of the SH series are concened. :sunny:
I just hope that Windows 8.1 won't come on the way: has anyone reported compatibility issues with SHIII, IV and 5?

Quote:

I'm testing your idea since or first talk and since I released this megamod...Back then I didn't quite understand what is going on but now I'm pretty much sure that concept with two hydrophones can work really great, even better then with just one...

Amazing :rock:

This is how the KDB upgrade should have been set from the beginning, as having it as the sole listening gear would have made little sense in real life, and forced devs to some unrealistic settings.
The two sensors being fitted together also rules out the objection made by some players on the extreme vulnerability of the KDB, especially at depths higher than 150 m as correctly modelled in RSD. Someone even speculated that they would have carried some spare sensors aboard, but I don't think so: really the KDB was an extra sensor affected by some serious limitations, which was fitted just on a limited number boats, and used only sparingly when circumstances required/allowed for it. :know:
Last but not least, your experience is showing us that the game is capable to handle more that one sensor of the same type fitted on a playable u-boat. I was thinking about adding some new RADAR's to the game:
http://amp.rokket.biz/docs/an_illust...t_research.pdf

I have the FuMB 26 - TUNIS already fully modelled and textured, and waiting for being imported in game... :03:

Quote:

The only glitch is notable with type VIIB and C/41 where, if KDB is destroyed hydrophone needle will stay frozen for player's use but only until the game is saved/reloaded. Still AI sonarmen will continue to operate just right with operating hydrophone. :yep:

Weird. All of the playable u-boat hulls share the same QR room, where hydrophone station controllers are located. Any possible glitch shouldn't be affected by the u-boat type we are commanding... but this game got us used to any kind of silliness already. :haha:

kevinsue 06-12-15 11:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gap (Post 2320654)
Weird. All of the playable u-boat hulls share the same QR room, where hydrophone station controllers are located. Any possible glitch shouldn't be affected by the u-boat type we are commanding... but this game got us used to any kind of silliness already. :haha:

Hello Gap, I've also come across this problem with the stuck hydro needle when the KDB has been damaged in the VIIB. This has occurred during depth charge attacks but in addition, every analogue gauge inside the boat becomes inoperative with the needles all pointing to the 12 o'clock position. Not sure if this is a result of the hydro damage or is a separate problem. The only way to get them working again is to end the patrol and restart.

Sjizzle 06-13-15 12:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gap (Post 2320654)
I just hope that Windows 8.1 won't come on the way: has anyone reported compatibility issues with SHIII, IV and 5?

i play them without any problem on win 8.1 all of them, also i play sh3 on HD with wide screen resolution patch on win 8.1. makman, conus, and others have made really nice wide screen Ui's for silent hunter 3.

PS. really glad to see u back gap :d i am a big fan of your graphics works

gap 06-13-15 07:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kevinsue (Post 2320675)
Hello Gap, I've also come across this problem with the stuck hydro needle when the KDB has been damaged in the VIIB. This has occurred during depth charge attacks but in addition, every analogue gauge inside the boat becomes inoperative with the needles all pointing to the 12 o'clock position. Not sure if this is a result of the hydro damage or is a separate problem. The only way to get them working again is to end the patrol and restart.

On a VIIB you said, and ALL the needles were stuck. :hmmm:
I wonder if there is a difference in the way VIIB and VIIC/41 are scripted in game, compared to other u-boat models... luckily there is an easy solution to this glitch.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sjizzle (Post 2320680)
i play them without any problem on win 8.1 all of them, also i play sh3 on HD with wide screen resolution patch on win 8.1. makman, conus, and others have made really nice wide screen Ui's for silent hunter 3.

PS. really glad to see u back gap :d i am a big fan of your graphics works

Thank you mate! :D

vdr1981 06-13-15 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gap (Post 2320639)
I never managed understanding how TDW's wind speed patch is interacts with the rest of SH5's weather setting.

I once asked TDW for clarifications, but I never received an answer to my doubts. :hmmm:

I'll try to describe what will happen with the game when 60m/s patch is enabled...

The game will randomly shift wind speeds between 0 and 60 m/s, pretty much the same like before between 0 and 15m/s. So, if you use stock separameters.cfg file you will always look in 15m/s waves because most of the time game will give you something like 20,35,48 ect m/s winds...

Someone will say "great, we only have to set waves parameters in their cfg file to match 60 m/s hurricane winds" ...Wrong, because it just cant be done. If you try to set waves to higher and more extreme than what we have now with stock 15m/s waves, it will just look ridiculous and unrealistic and our sub will act really funny...

Basically, TDW gave us tool to increase wind speed but it is not possible to set corresponding waves for resoulting wind speeds...

gap 06-13-15 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vdr1981 (Post 2320753)
I'll try to describe what will happen with the game when 60m/s patch is enabled...

That's odd. :hmm2:

I start thinking that what TDW's patch actually does, is multiplying game-generated wind speeds by a fixed factor. The game engine will still think of wind speeds using the stock 1-15 values though. If, for instance, a certain weather zone/season combination has 5-15 m/s set as its windspeed range, the game will still throw the dices and pull a random number from the said range. Let's say it is a 10. At this point the code modified by TDW comes into the picture, multiplying 10 by a 4x factor, so that when we ask for a weather report, reported wind speed will be 40 and not 10 m/s. The game will still retain the 10 m/s figure though, and it will look for it in seaparameters.cfg file. When parameters for 10 m/s are read/interpolated from the said file, again TDW's code pops in, and multiplies some or all of the sea parameters in memory by a fixed factor (could be 4 again, or something else). These new parameters are the ones sent to SH5's graphic/phyisics engine to generate current waves.

Does it sound plausible? This is the only way (that I can think of) TDW's patch could generate/handle wind speeds higher than 15 m/s with no need of updates in cfg files from our part. If you are into it, I could device a set of cfg files aimed at testing my theory. :up:

For a start: by any chance, are the wind speeds reported by navigator all multiple of four after enabling the 60 m/s wind speed patch?

vdr1981 06-13-15 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gap (Post 2320795)
That's odd. :hmm2:

I start thinking that what TDW's patch actually does, is multiplying game-generated wind speeds by a fixed factor. The game engine will still think of wind speeds using the stock 1-15 values though. If, for instance, a certain weather zone/season combination has 5-15 m/s set as its windspeed range, the game will still throw the dices and pull a random number from the said range. Let's say it is a 10. At this point the code modified by TDW comes into the picture, multiplying 10 by a 4x factor, so that when we ask for a weather report, reported wind speed will be 40 and not 10 m/s. The game will still retain the 10 m/s figure though, and it will look for it in seaparameters.cfg file. When parameters for 10 m/s are read/interpolated from the said file, again TDW's code pops in, and multiplies some or all of the sea parameters in memory by a fixed factor (could be 4 again, or something else). These new parameters are the ones sent to SH5's graphic/phyisics engine to generate current waves.

Does it sound plausible? This is the only way (that I can think of) TDW's patch could generate/handle wind speeds higher than 15 m/s with no need of updates in cfg files from our part. If you are into it, I could device a set of cfg files aimed at testing my theory. :up:

For a start: by any chance, are the wind speeds reported by navigator all multiple of four after enabling the 60 m/s wind speed patch?

Not so sure, but I could add also that when patch is enabled clouds and smoke will hurtle over the sky like crazy...
I think that 60m/s patch doesn't interfere with wind speeds set in your env files but I cant be 100% sure.
All in all, the patch isn't really useful so you shouldn't bothering your self with it...

Sjizzle 06-13-15 02:03 PM

Offtopic and really sorry vdr1981

@gap
heya m8 can u tell me how i can edit the map 4320_2160.raw file i wanna add time zone for real navigation :D

on topic now i remember about and old discussion about with speed 60/s in fifi's tweak but i can not find that thread anymore :D

THE_MASK 06-13-15 06:51 PM

I don't enable the zero waves patch either . I can never get them to look ok .
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...6&postcount=12