SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   SH5 Mods Workshop (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=249)
-   -   [REL]The Wolves of Steel - SH5 Megamod (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=210703)

RedHammer 04-06-19 05:37 AM

Been fiddling for years and never really got this right and I'm at wits end:

How can I get FULL manual TDC, with none of that silly "officer help phone swipes to fix all problems" from the OEM game?

I get the dials VISIBLE with this mod, but I can't interface with them even at full realism set in difficulty both before and after I start campaign.
Have googled, youtubed, youfaced and twittered the bejesus out of the issue with nothing to show for it, and on these forums its 30 seconds wait for every search so I just CANT get it nailed down.
Am at complete wits end here.

Really need this working so I can practice for Wolfpack, so many things I have to get practiced right down to an art here for the captain I sail with to be able to rely on me.

Effective advice would be greatly apprec'ed! :)

Edit: Tried again, gave it the full regalia in OFEV, still no manual TDC, I can do depth, ignition and heading and then thats it, can touch NOTHING else.
I gave it full realistic in options, brand new campaign, game reinstall, deleted all the SH5 stuff via regedit and cc cleaner etc all that stuff, the full works = No go, TDC data cannot be manipulated past any sort of shoot'n forget parameters.
ANYONE? :)

vdr1981 04-07-19 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedHammer (Post 2601599)

How can I get FULL manual TDC, with none of that silly "officer help phone swipes to fix all problems" from the OEM game?

I get the dials VISIBLE with this mod, but I can't interface with them even at full realism set in difficulty both before and after I start campaign.
Have googled, youtubed, youfaced and twittered the bejesus out of the issue with nothing to show for it, and on these forums its 30 seconds wait for every search so I just CANT get it nailed down.

Really need this working so I can practice for Wolfpack, so many things I have to get practiced right down to an art here for the captain I sail with to be able to rely on me.

Edit: Tried again, gave it the full regalia in OFEV, still no manual TDC, I can do depth, ignition and heading and then thats it, can touch NOTHING else.
I gave it full realistic in options, brand new campaign, game reinstall, deleted all the SH5 stuff via regedit and cc cleaner etc all that stuff, the full works = No go, TDC data cannot be manipulated past any sort of shoot'n forget parameters.

Have you tried the attack scope? All dials are there by default.

https://i.postimg.cc/s1Qxhhmv/SH5-Im...7-21-44-58.jpg https://i.postimg.cc/Hjqx4kv3/SH5-Im...7-21-45-05.jpg https://i.postimg.cc/vc5mPwpy/SH5-Im...7-21-45-12.jpg

vdr1981 04-07-19 03:19 PM

https://i.postimg.cc/RVmGPd39/SH5-Im...5-15-31-18.png

U-28 entering Kiel, Laboe memorial can be seen in the background...

Happy hunting! :Kaleun_Salute:

Tonci87 04-07-19 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedHammer (Post 2601599)

Just to get this simplest of possibilities out of the way, but did you press the button to enable manual input?

It is the red button in between the Speed, Range, AOB and Bearing dials on the right side. You can see it on this screen.
https://postimg.cc/vc5mPwpy

You need to press the button again after you have entered your settings to slew the TDC to the scope.

tomandre81 04-09-19 10:15 PM

Gold edition or stock?

Hi, I just wondered which version you built your mod on?
Gold or stock?

:yeah:

Sjizzle 04-10-19 05:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tomandre81 (Post 2602441)
Hi, I just wondered which version you built your mod on?
Gold or stock?

:yeah:

in 1.2 version... gold or not gold the game version must be 1.2

XenonSurf 04-10-19 02:08 PM

[EDIT]
Problem solved. Thank you again Veko!

----------------

Hi Veko,
may I ask: How do you make Nav and TAI map ship contacts appear grey and without 'queue' when playing with visible map contacts in the game options?

Thanks very much!
:Kaleun_Cheers:

AKD 04-10-19 03:24 PM

Read through all the documentation (I think), but I'm still running into some issues trying to get rolling in the first campaign mission:

-When I load a saved game (not loading auto-saves), I have lost all my previous marks on the map. Is there a way to preserve these from play session to play session?

-Radio messages to me are addressed to U-**. Not sure how to have or pick a u-boat number.

-using Real Navigation, and the automated dead reckoning position every 5 min when at battle stations seems to start working even when battle stations is not active. It also seems to interfere with the normal every 2 hour celestial fix script. Is it always on once activated? Is it not meant to be used in conjunction with the normal nav script?

-with decks awash, I seem to be unable to use binoculars or lock a target for TDC input with the UZO. Is this expected?

-really not sure at all how, or if I even should, use the ship's journal.

I never played the stock game, so I may be missing some points of reference. Currently using v2.2.10. Will probably start over campaign with v2.2.11.

Tonci87 04-10-19 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AKD (Post 2602592)
Read through all the documentation (I think), but I'm still running into some issues trying to get rolling in the first campaign mission:

-When I load a saved game (not loading auto-saves), I have lost all my previous marks on the map. Is there a way to preserve these from play session to play session?

-Radio messages to me are addressed to U-**. Not sure how to have or pick a u-boat number.

-using Real Navigation, and the automated dead reckoning position every 5 min when at battle stations seems to start working even when battle stations is not active. It also seems to interfere with the normal every 2 hour celestial fix script. Is it always on once activated? Is it not meant to be used in conjunction with the normal nav script?

-with decks awash, I seem to be unable to use binoculars or lock a target for TDC input with the UZO. Is this expected?

-really not sure at all how, or if I even should, use the ship's journal.

I never played the stock game, so I may be missing some points of reference. Currently using v2.2.10. Will probably start over campaign with v2.2.11.

OK, here we go:
-You can preserve the marks if you save your journal before quiting the game, and loading it when you continue to play. You can select the journal file in the main menu, and if you then exit to the main menu instead of exiting directly to windows you will be asked if you want to save the journal. You can also do that manually at any time in the game.

-The game does assign a U boat number to you. I think you will see it if you get a radio message addressed to you. You can then use the Options File Editor Viewer to make that number your default in the logbooks.

-The scripts for a position fix every 5 minutes should not start on itīs own. Go to the Automation menu and check if the script is active. You can disable it there.

-With decks awash you can indeed not use the binoculars. That seems to be a game limitation. You should still be able to use the UZO but you will have to do some manual targeting

-The ships journal can be a handy tool to look up past events. Also see the first point.

XenonSurf 04-10-19 03:48 PM

Unless this has changed, then AFAIK only Supermarks with text can be saved, everything marked with normal tools is not saved and lost when you quit game session.

Tonci87 04-10-19 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by XenonSurf (Post 2602597)
Unless this has changed, then AFAIK only Supermarks with text can be saved, everything marked with normal tools is not saved and lost when you quit game session.

Navigation fixes can also be saved

AKD 04-11-19 10:07 AM

Thanks for the input!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tonci87 (Post 2602595)
OK, here we go:
-You can preserve the marks if you save your journal before quiting the game, and loading it when you continue to play. You can select the journal file in the main menu, and if you then exit to the main menu instead of exiting directly to windows you will be asked if you want to save the journal. You can also do that manually at any time in the game.

Sorry, but use of the Ship's Journal is clear as mud to me as a new user. When do I create ship's journal? Before or after starting the first campaign? When I click on the created journal, I get sent to the editor program, but also get a failed loading message. But I can the load the file with the name I chose.

I see that OFEV has options to set U-boat hull number and captain and also instructs to make changes to a .cfg file. Do I do this before or after starting a new campaign? Before or after creating a journal?

Could really use a step-by-step on how to properly start your first campaign. Got the save in bunker and reload part as that is clear in documentation, but totally lost on journal, captain's name (the game ask for this on new campaign start, so why are there options to set this in journal and OFEV?), and how I first get a hull number.

Quote:

-The game does assign a U boat number to you. I think you will see it if you get a radio message addressed to you. You can then use the Options File Editor Viewer to make that number your default in the logbooks.
No, radio messages are addressed to "U-**" (this is without creating a journal or doing anything in OFEV or .cfg file)

Quote:

-The scripts for a position fix every 5 minutes should not start on itīs own. Go to the Automation menu and check if the script is active. You can disable it there.
Okay, so if the script is activated, it is always activated? Doesn't matter if you are at battle stations or not. Also it is not meant run alongside the normal position fix script, i.e. I can only have one or the other activated?

Quote:

-With decks awash you can indeed not use the binoculars. That seems to be a game limitation. You should still be able to use the UZO but you will have to do some manual targeting
Shame. It seemed to block locking (X) and designating a target (SPACEBAR) entirely, I think even with periscopes also, but perhaps there was something else going on.

XenonSurf 04-11-19 10:49 AM

Yeah, it's a curiosity of SH5 that whithout directly consulting external files, you won't know exactly what U-boat type you have and what denomination - until you get a radio message from BDU which is in your Captain's Log, in this case you know you are in command of the U-36 or similar.

BTW, it would be nice if the Captain's Log would also flash when I get a message in it, here are the most important and helpful messages :hmmm:

To know exactly your U-boat and statistics, launch KSD Commander :)

Tonci87 04-11-19 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AKD (Post 2602728)
Thanks for the input!

Sorry, but use of the Ship's Journal is clear as mud to me as a new user. When do I create ship's journal? Before or after starting the first campaign? When I click on the created journal, I get sent to the editor program, but also get a failed loading message. But I can the load the file with the name I chose.

I see that OFEV has options to set U-boat hull number and captain and also instructs to make changes to a .cfg file. Do I do this before or after starting a new campaign? Before or after creating a journal?

Could really use a step-by-step on how to properly start your first campaign. Got the save in bunker and reload part as that is clear in documentation, but totally lost on journal, captain's name (the game ask for this on new campaign start, so why are there options to set this in journal and OFEV?), and how I first get a hull number.

No, radio messages are addressed to "U-**" (this is without creating a journal or doing anything in OFEV or .cfg file)

Okay, so if the script is activated, it is always activated? Doesn't matter if you are at battle stations or not. Also it is not meant run alongside the normal position fix script, i.e. I can only have one or the other activated?

Shame. It seemed to block locking (X) and designating a target (SPACEBAR) entirely, I think even with periscopes also, but perhaps there was something else going on.

You should start a campaign first, and then create a journal and change your hull number. This is because starting a campaign actually creates the necessary files. Do not worry, you can do this while on patrol.

Quote:

Originally Posted by XenonSurf (Post 2602733)

^this

Basically you should create a journal file, and then save and exit your game once you are well clear of the harbor and any shipping, and then launch KSD commander to see your hull number and make the changes in the Options File Editor Viewer.

You wonīt have to do that again until you get a new boat, which will of course have a new number assigned to it.

The real navigation position script is activated as long as you keep it activated. You can stop it at any time in the automation menu. You can also run multiple scripts together, but I would not advise to have the battlestation script running all the time. If will very quickly fill up your map with useless navmarks. This could have an impact on performance.
Only use it during an engagement, or while sneaking into a harbor. You can keep the regular position fix script active during that time.

Do you want to have automatic targeting of ships? I can not help with that. I only play with manual targeting so I need to measure or plot the target data. (PS, click on the Video in my signature to see how that is done).

AKD 04-11-19 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by XenonSurf (Post 2602733)
Yeah, it's a curiosity of SH5 that whithout directly consulting external files, you won't know exactly what U-boat type you have and what denomination - until you get a radio message from BDU which is in your Captain's Log, in this case you know you are in command of the U-36 or similar.

BTW, it would be nice if the Captain's Log would also flash when I get a message in it, here are the most important and helpful messages :hmmm:

When I receive a radio message from BdU it says "U-**"; no number. Maybe because I made and saved other changes (for UI) in OFEV before starting my first patrol? Maybe I need to reset OFEV to default?