SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   SH5 Mods Workshop (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=249)
-   -   [REL]The Wolves of Steel - SH5 Megamod (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=210703)

vdr1981 10-04-18 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gap (Post 2571270)
What is not okay, is the position of the flags. According to another wikipedia article on maritime flags and flag eticquette:

This is an aspect that iambecomelife got right with his Merchant Fleet Mod for SHIII, but I am surprised that none of us naval history lovers and mod junkeys ever addressed for SH5. :D

This should be relatively easy for imported ships although now, there are really lot of them in TWoS. I'm not so sure about stock gr2 vessels though...

gap 10-04-18 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vdr1981 (Post 2571278)
This should be relatively easy for imported ships although now, there are really lot of them in TWoS. I'm not so sure about stock gr2 vessels though...

Doable also with GR2 units.

No matter if on dat or GR2 ships, I see two ways to accomplish the task.

First method:
  • adding a flagstaff to the stern of each ship;
  • moving the flag node to the new position;
  • tilting slightly the displaced flag node, if the flagstaff is not completely vertical.

Second method:
  • moving the flag node to where we want the flagpole to be connected with the stern of each ship;
  • converting the flag node into an equipment node;
  • storing several flagpoles in a library file, and adding different flag nodes to them (four in total, one for each flagpole model, one for each combination of naval / civil, small / large);
  • linking the most appropriate flagpole/flag to each ship through eqp file.

This last method might sound more complicated, but if it works it would ease our job because flag and flagpole would be one piece, and we wouldn't get to align these two elements for each vessel. The one doubt I have, is if a flag node placed on an equipent would work just as well as when it is placed directly on an unit; this must be tested.

Sure, whatever method is used, editing the nodes of each ship in game would be a little PITA :)

Sure,

Fifi 10-05-18 01:44 AM

And looking at WW2 merchant ships pictures on the web, sometimes flags are stern mounted, sometimes not...
Seems not a rule for stern flags :hmmm:

gap 10-05-18 06:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fifi (Post 2571359)
And looking at WW2 merchant ships pictures on the web, sometimes flags are stern mounted, sometimes not...
Seems not a rule for stern flags :hmmm:

Hi Fifi, :salute:

I think the flag etiquette varies slightly from country to country, and dependig if the vessel is at anchor or underway. I cannot talk about Soviet rules, but it is my understanding that as far as the Commonwealth is concerned, the correct place for flying the ensign is at any time the ensign staff at each vessel's stern. This code also applies to US vessels when they are motionless, but for practical reasons, when they are are underway they are allowed to fly their ensign from a gaff rigged on the aft mast (i.e. a slanted yard departing from them); that said, I ignore if there is a rule that prevents them from flying the ensign from their stern also while at sea.

In any case, unlike the screenies posted by Vecko, the ensign should always be at the stern or near the stern, the reason dating back to the sail age when the first navies originated. If you have seen flags being flown anywhere near the bow of a ship or at the foremast, they must fall in some other category such as naval jacks, club burgees, house flags, etc.

If you want to know more on the topic, I suggest you the following articles:

https://www.crwflags.com/fotw/FLAGS/xf-gaff.html
http://www.threeharbors.com/flags.html
http://www.usps.org/national/fecom/f.../gaffpole.html

Lanzfeld 10-05-18 11:08 AM

Of course wolves of steel is top shelf so thanks again for the Mod! :Kaleun_Cheers:

Just a question about crash diving..... I hit shift V to order a crash dive and I understand the delay for them to clear the bridge before the uboat goes under. Is there a way at least the play the Das Boot “ALARM!” sound right when you hit shift V instead of the 17 second silence delay before there’s any diving?

To be clear.......I still want the 17 second delay for them to clear the bridge but I was wondering if we could at least get the alarm sound the second we hit shift V?

:Kaleun_Thumbs_Up:

Ashikaga 10-05-18 06:19 PM

I had a big laugh recently when I torpedoed a British merchant and when I surfaced next to the survival raft they were all wearing German Uniforms and one even had the same sweater as my cook but it was not him...

So I gave them some chocolate and went on my way.

vdr1981 10-06-18 02:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ashikaga (Post 2571458)
I had a big laugh recently when I torpedoed a British merchant and when I surfaced next to the survival raft they were all wearing German Uniforms and one even had the same sweater as my cook but it was not him...

So I gave them some chocolate and went on my way.

Only if you use wooden lifeboats mod, not by default...:03::salute:

ouPhrontis 10-06-18 03:23 AM

What work is entailed to convert all BdU and all Kriegsmarine radio traffic to enigma encrypted transmissions?

I intend to do this myself as an option for those that wish to have that enabled, as I find it jarring to see un-encrypted Tx, plus it's a shame to underutilise the beautiful Enigma M4 mod.

Sure one can perhaps pretend that they had been decrypted by the funkmaat before being handed to the Kaleun, and that all Kaleun-eyes-only Tx is for you to handle, but I'd like to go the route of having it all encrypted.

What I'm looking for are which files I have to edit etcetera, essentially what work was done with the Enigma mod, such that I can dive in and do this myself.

vdr1981 10-06-18 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ouPhrontis (Post 2571492)
What work is entailed to convert all BdU and all Kriegsmarine radio traffic to enigma encrypted transmissions?

I intend to do this myself as an option for those that wish to have that enabled, as I find it jarring to see un-encrypted Tx, plus it's a shame to underutilise the beautiful Enigma M4 mod.

Sure one can perhaps pretend that they had been decrypted by the funkmaat before being handed to the Kaleun, and that all Kaleun-eyes-only Tx is for you to handle, but I'd like to go the route of having it all encrypted.

What I'm looking for are which files I have to edit etcetera, essentially what work was done with the Enigma mod, such that I can dive in and do this myself.

"Silent Hunter 5\data\RadioMessages\English\19**\**\radiomessages .txt"

The Enigma Message Encryptor is in your "data\Applications" folder.

As you can see, there are quite a few messages to be encrypted, are you still sure you want to do them all? :D

CaptBones 10-06-18 10:33 AM

USN Flag "etiquette"

Quote:

Originally Posted by gap (Post 2571381)
Hi Fifi, :salute:

I think the flag etiquette varies slightly from country to country, and dependig if the vessel is at anchor or underway. I cannot talk about Soviet rules, but it is my understanding that as far as the Commonwealth is concerned, the correct place for flying the ensign is at any time the ensign staff at each vessel's stern. This code also applies to US vessels when they are motionless, but for practical reasons, when they are are underway they are allowed to fly their ensign from a gaff rigged on the aft mast (i.e. a slanted yard departing from them); that said, I ignore if there is a rule that prevents them from flying the ensign from their stern also while at sea.

The display of the ensign and jack on US Navy vessels is as follows:

When moored (either pierside, at a buoy, or at anchor) the ensign is flown from the fantail flagstaff and the jack at the bow jackstaff (that's why it's called the "jackstaff"). In certain circumstances (George Washington's birthday, the 4th of July and any other specially ordered "full dress ship" holiday), the ensign may be displayed at the fantail and at the main truck.

When getting underway, the colors are shifted immediately when the last mooring line is taken in from the pier, or the mooring shackle is released from the buoy, or the anchor is aweigh. Shifting colors means the jack and ensign at the fantail are lowered smartly and the "steaming" ensign is immediately hoisted, or "broken" at the main truck.

For a thorough explanation of the Royal Navy's flag etiquette, you might try the Admiralty Manual of Seamanship, Vol. I, Ch. 14 (in my 1964 edition anyway).

gap 10-06-18 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaptBones (Post 2571546)
The display of the ensign and jack on US Navy vessels is as follows:

When moored (either pierside, at a buoy, or at anchor) the ensign is flown from the fantail flagstaff and the jack at the bow jackstaff (that's why it's called the "jackstaff"). In certain circumstances (George Washington's birthday, the 4th of July and any other specially ordered "full dress ship" holiday), the ensign may be displayed at the fantail and at the main truck.

When getting underway, the colors are shifted immediately when the last mooring line is taken in from the pier, or the mooring shackle is released from the buoy, or the anchor is aweigh. Shifting colors means the jack and ensign at the fantail are lowered smartly and the "steaming" ensign is immediately hoisted, or "broken" at the main truck.

For a thorough explanation of the Royal Navy's flag etiquette, you might try the Admiralty Manual of Seamanship, Vol. I, Ch. 14 (in my 1964 edition anyway).

Thank you for CaptBones,

your detailed explainations seem to grossly confirm what I had found so far on the topic, but I have a few questions:

- does the same rule applly to merchant as well as military vessels?

- is the information I had previously collected (i.e. hoisting the ensign to the extremity of a gaff rigged on the mainmast) a valid alternative to hoisting it to the maintruck while underway, or that was wrong?

- when required, where are broad pennants and house flags hoisted relative to the ensign?

ouPhrontis 10-06-18 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vdr1981 (Post 2571541)
"Silent Hunter 5\data\RadioMessages\English\19**\**\radiomessages .txt"

The Enigma Message Encryptor is in your "data\Applications" folder.

As you can see, there are quite a few messages to be encrypted, are you still sure you want to do them all? :D

Absolutely, at least only the Kriegsmarine traffic. Once I've done that, I'll share the work.

I noticed that at one point -- by mistake -- duplicates had been sent, i.e. the same messaged unencrypted and the Enigma ciphered message arriving together, I hope it's just a case that so long as the plaintext/unencrypted message is erased that it won't be an issue?

-- edit below --

Strewth, yup there's plenty to get through, still... I understand others wanted this, too, so I shall crack on with it.

CaptBones 10-06-18 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gap (Post 2571549)
Thank you for CaptBones,

your detailed explainations seem to grossly confirm what I had found so far on the topic, but I have a few questions:

- does the same rule applly to merchant as well as military vessels?

- is the information I had previously collected (i.e. hoisting the ensign to the extremity of a gaff rigged on the mainmast) a valid alternative to hoisting it to the maintruck while underway, or that was wrong?

- when required, where are broad pennants and house flags hoisted relative to the ensign?

Well...here's what I have observed relative to merchant vessels...

Not all have or follow any set "rules" for displaying flags at sea or in port. Most do fly the appropriate flag (either their national flag [e.g. American flag for US-registered commerical vessels] or a merchant ensign [e.g. "Red Ensign" for UK-registered commercial vessels]). When in port they display their flag at the fantail and the flag of the country whose port they are in at the main truck or a signal flag yardarm (I can't recall ever seeing one with a jack or even a jackstaff). They also typically fly a house flag at a yardarm when in port and sometimes at sea as well. The display of their ensign/national flag at sea also varies widely, some fly it from the fantail flagstaff and some from the main truck; the former seems to be more typical.

I suspect the choice is largely driven by the distance someone has to run to render honors to warships they encounter at sea. It is common courtesy for merchant ships to render honors to warships, especially if the merchant vessel is in the territorial waters of the warship it meets! Rendering honors means dipping your flag, which the warship acknowledges by dipping her flag in return. It's quite "formal"...the merhcant ship dips its flag, the warship then dips its flag and returns it to full staff, then the merchant vessel may return its flag to full staff.

As for using a gaff rigged to the mainmast...pretty much the same thing as flying it from the main truck. Sometimes a gaff is used, sometimes the top of the truck has more than one pulley and that is used (see below), sometimes for small ships that fly small size ensigns, a "pig stick" is used with the ensign attached to the stick and the stick hoisted to the gaff or the truck. The design of the mast is different from ship class to ship class and frequently from ship to ship as well, especially as they get older and have alterations applied.

Now for broad pennants and "house flags"...for USN, the most used pennant is the "coach whip" commissioning pennant. It is always flown at the highest point on the mainmast, above the ensign even. Of course, it's rather small and hardly noticeable, uness you're looking for it and know where to look (it is almost always attached to a "pig stick" and the stick hoisted to the top of the main truck). Broad pennants displayed are the identification pennants for embarked Squadron Commanders/Group Commanders. They are only flown when the Commander is "embarked", which doesn't mean physically present/onboard; their pennant will be flown from an inboard halyard on the main yardarm (therefore below the ensign when underway). When the Commander is embarked, but not onboard in port, an absentee pennant is flown from an outboard hoist on the main yardarm (Commanding Officers also get an absentee pennant when they are not onboard)...by default they will be physically above the ensign when in port, but since they are not displayed from the same mast as the ensign, they aren't really "above" the ensign.

House flags are not "official" displays in the USN, but rather flags that the crew would design and display on certain occasions. Generally they are only used when entering port...especially homeport...on return from a deployment or a "special operation"...including successful completion of most types of underway tests/trials/readiness inspections. etc.

Well, that's a small treatise...hope it clears up some of your questions.

vdr1981 10-06-18 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ouPhrontis (Post 2571582)
I noticed that at one point -- by mistake -- duplicates had been sent, i.e. the same messaged unencrypted and the Enigma ciphered message arriving together

Can you give me the date or at least month and the year?

Quote:

Strewth, yup there's plenty to get through, still... I understand others wanted this, too, so I shall crack on with it.
:up::salute:

Ashikaga 10-06-18 04:33 PM

Installed the new Mod with help from Vecko.

Problem is that when I enable Dark Wraith's historic dials in JGME they do not show up in the game, just that modern day nonsense I do not at all want.

I want my Telegraph, depth gauge and Compass/rudder.

Is there anyone out there who could help me get them back ?

A link to a working add on perhaps compatible with 2.2.7 ?|

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...psrkrhh4w3.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...ps9mps0ubo.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...psbpi48yov.jpg

I just want my old layout back. So any help more than welcome !

Do I have to change a setting in OFEV ?

Ashikaga