SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   Silent Hunter III (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=182)
-   -   Silent Hunter III steam version and GWX 3.0 gold (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=214253)

Pistoliero 06-30-14 05:57 AM

Silent Hunter III steam version and GWX 3.0 gold

Hello there to all good people on forums.

Recently I had purchased SH3 on steam and decided to play this great game again. Also I noted, that GWX is huge improvement from default game and decided to give it a try. Don't have any experience with running SH mods, so I might be doing something wrong, or missing some third party utilites.

What I did - installed SH3 from steam, got torrent download GWX 3.0 gold from their site and installed it.
Overall everything seems working fine, but one issue. As far as I know I am supposed to get some custom briefings and news whats happening in the world. Instead what I am getting is stock SH3 briefing/mission screens (go to grid XX and patrol it for 24 hours).
So I started with VII/XIII flotilla (hope these are right numbers) which starts in Koenigsberg on 1st August 1939. I did not receive any mission but to patrol nearest grid for 1 day. And I do know, that I should be briefed to sink some neutral "target ships" and 2 ship convoy. And here is my problem - how to fix these briefings.

Installed commander 3.2 and GWX 3.0 files for it. Launched the game via commander, but nothing changes. Probably I should alter some options in commander, don't know.

No progress so far, asking for help from anyone willing.

Sailor Steve 06-30-14 08:42 AM

WELCOME ABOARD! :sunny:

There is only one safe place to get GWX, and that is from Jimbuna's signature. All other places are suspect.

maillemaker 06-30-14 09:37 AM

Can you take a screen shot of what you are seeing that you think is wrong?

Steve

Pistoliero 06-30-14 11:59 AM

Sure, here it is. Stock briefing screen instead of GWX screen.

http://i.imgur.com/qwe4H91.jpg

desertstriker 06-30-14 01:27 PM

That's the right screen for GWX. It has "the Grey Wolves" in the upper right hand corner.

maillemaker 06-30-14 01:37 PM

Quote:

That's the right screen for GWX. It has "the Grey Wolves" in the upper right hand corner.
It does, but it's not the screen I get with my GWX3 installation.

I don't have a sub scene on the right hand screen, instead there is a little blurb of text about goings-on in the war for that month in the war.

Steve

P_Funk 06-30-14 02:55 PM

The torrent form the GWX site works fine. I know because I'm using it.

desertstriker 06-30-14 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maillemaker (Post 2220880)
It does, but it's not the screen I get with my GWX3 installation.

I don't have a sub scene on the right hand screen, instead there is a little blurb of text about goings-on in the war for that month in the war.

Steve

That's because you are using a mod that does that. I cant remember the name though. IIRC it through SH3C.

Pistoliero 06-30-14 11:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by desertstriker (Post 2220919)
That's because you are using a mod that does that. I cant remember the name though. IIRC it through SH3C.

So text saying to sink target ships and wait for message on 4th august is also part of some mod? Would greatly appreciate, if you tell me, which one is it.

desertstriker 06-30-14 11:58 PM

That one is part of the mod. however because of the limitations of the game it is not enforced. Be careful sinking those ships though. August is before the war, sinking them make you a target for 24 hours ,penalty for sinking neutrals, even by German forces (only up till September).

DenRJ 07-01-14 06:28 PM

Well, like Pistoliero I just purchased Silent Hunter 3 from Steam and downloaded GWX from SUBSIM. I still have my original Silent Hunter 3 box, but didn't want to go through all the problems installing from discs.
The installation went without problems and I must say after all these years I realize why I played this game so much, the vanilla version. Now I can truly appreciate it all over again with the best supermod. And this is after playing SH4 and SH5. SH3 is a masterpiece.

Sailor Steve 07-01-14 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by P_Funk (Post 2220897)
The torrent form the GWX site works fine. I know because I'm using it.

That's because Jim put it there. I still wouldn't trust it, as long as the repositor of the GWX files has his own links. :sunny:

Sailor Steve 07-01-14 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BL!TZKR!EG (Post 2221060)
Suspect?????

Jim is the sole keeper of all things GWX. There have been problems with other links in the past. I'm not saying that other links contain bad files; I'm just saying that there is only one source I would trust.

P_Funk 07-01-14 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sailor Steve (Post 2221236)
That's because Jim put it there. I still wouldn't trust it, as long as the repositor of the GWX files has his own links. :sunny:

Mistrustful of torrents?

Pistoliero 07-02-14 12:41 AM

OK, looks like I got everything right and ready.
If I restart the game with SHcommander before each patrol, it properly downloads war news for previous month, as supposed to.

Thanks for help, time to set sail finally.