SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   Sub Command, Fleet Command, & Jane's 688(I) (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=193)
-   -   Do these games work on windows 7? (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=193564)

Red October1984 03-18-12 08:35 PM

Do these games work on windows 7?

I am thinking about ordering the Naval Combat Pack.

Malefactor 03-18-12 11:49 PM

I've had Sub Command working just fine ,with a few minor issues,on Win 7. :yep:

As for Fleet Command and 688(I),I do not have either game so I could not say.

Red October1984 03-19-12 06:38 AM

I don't think I would get into fleet command much.

I would import all the fleet command scenarios to DW and play DW. I want to get into Sub Command and 688i.

Pisces 03-19-12 12:31 PM

My rule of thumb is to make sure games are not installed in a path containing the "Program Files" folder. Modding, editing/saving missions, or even just adding them to the Scenario folder (this goes for atleast Sub Command) will cause Win7 to choke with a UAC warning. If you don't notice this because it happens in the background then it times out and the file changes will be ignored. Installing it in something like C:\Games\NavCombPack avoids this watchfull eye of Win7.

Sea Demon 03-20-12 09:41 AM

I have DW, Sub Command, and Fleet Command all working great on my Windows 7 - 64 bit machine.

Red October1984 03-20-12 06:04 PM

Sounds good

I am adding the naval combat pack to my list to buy.

Hinrich Schwab 03-26-12 09:48 PM

I just bought the 3-pack and loaded it up. Sub Command works fine, but has the usual NVIDIA hiccup of DW. It is dealt with the same way. 688i does not like Windows 7, even in compatibility mode. It crashes on beginning a mission. Fleet Command is extremely ornery and obstinate in Win7. The flashing screen issue, the NVIDIA hiccup and other issues make this difficult, if not impossible to play.

Consequentially, I loaded the games on my old WinXP laptop with a weak integrated ATI Radeon chip in it. All three games ran just fine with no other tweeks. :)

Red October1984 03-26-12 10:21 PM

I have an old win 98 desktop........I could play them there.

Hinrich Schwab 03-27-12 01:06 AM

I goofed with Fleet Command and 688i some more. 688i works in Win7 with compatibility set to "Windows 95". Fleet Command works with compatibility set to "Windows 98 SE/Win2000". In Fleet Command, the slowdown can be remedied by placing the mouse over the lower left map and hitting CTRL-V, which refreshes the graphics. The trick for Sub Command works just like DW.

Sink 'em all!:salute::arrgh!:

Red October1984 03-27-12 04:23 PM

There is a good chance that i will buy the naval combat pack

Shearwater 03-28-12 04:57 AM

Short answer: Yes, they should work with Win 7. There are just some things that might need a little tweaking in order to run these games smoothly.

In order to run Fleet Command smoothly, you might want to try a glide wrapper because even the Naval Combat Pack version doesn't seem to like Direct3D that much and you might get terribly slow graphics. I'm using nglide, and it runs perfectly fine now.
In case you're not using an American keyboard, some keyboard commands might be different than what the manual / in-game help screen tells you. Check out the Fleet Command Project website and download their manual if that's the case.

As to 688(I), I have both an orginial copy and the one that came with NCP. The original works fine, but I have no sound in the NCP version, although there is a workaround somewhere here on the forum.

I haven't had any problems with Sub Command.

Hope that helps :ping:

Red October1984 03-29-12 05:48 PM

Yes. It helps. Thank you. I might just order the original 688 and sub command. Fleet command doesn't sound as good.

Hinrich Schwab 03-29-12 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red October1984 (Post 1862651)
Yes. It helps. Thank you. I might just order the original 688 and sub command. Fleet command doesn't sound as good.

Fleet Command is good. Its focus, however, is different. Sub Command, 688i and DW are tactical in nature and simulation while Fleet Command is strategic. Fleet command is more about playing a Commodore rather than commanding and controlling individual units. It is more akin to being in the hot seat of the Admiral's Bridge on a carrier or other flagship.

ru_disa 06-09-12 09:32 AM

Hi,
sorry for hijacking this thread (and for the noob question). If I already have Dangerous Waters, does it make sense for me to buy the Naval Combat Pack (which includes 668(i), Sub Command and Fleet Command)? Or am I just better off playing DW? Do 668i and Sub Command offer enough features to warrant a buy? Or is DW a better and updated version of those two games?