SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   SH5 Mods Workshop (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=249)
-   -   [REL]The Wolves of Steel - SH5 Megamod (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=210703)

vdr1981 10-30-18 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cybermat47 (Post 2574842)
Here are some suggestions:

Ability PRESSURE HULL CRITICAL SPOTS
Thanks to his years of experience, the chief knows just how deep the boat can really go.

Ability MANEUVERING
Experienced helmsmen can react to your orders faster and start turning the boat immediately.

Ability EMERGENCY BOSUN Intervention
The bosun’s short-term “corrective” measures. (The rest of the text is perfect).

Ability SPECIAL MEAL
(Should read “Olaf”, not “Dieter”).

Ability WATCH CREW
An experienced watch crew will be more effective at spotting targets, and will identify them faster and with more confidence.

Ability DIRECTION FINDER - HYDROPHONE
I suggest you change this one to
Ability EXPERIENCED SOUNDMAN
An experienced hydrophone operator can pick up contacts faster, due to his familiarity with sound contacts.

Ability SKILLED RADIO OPERATOR
An experienced radio operator can accurately guess the speed and course of RDF contacts.

Ability SKILLED TELEGRAPHIST
(All text is fine except for the following suggested correction) ... lowering the chance of radio messages being intercepted and triangulated by Allied forces.

Also, I noticed that the torpedo pre-heat ability has gone. Are you planning to have the TII’s performance at 30 knots at 5km by default in the next release, or is the “torpedo maintenance” ability the new way of getting that performance?

Personally, I think that having the 30 knots at 5km performance makes the most sense, while the torpedo maintenance should make the torpedoes less likely to be duds.

Or perhaps this: there’s a ten percent chance (just as an example) that a torpedo will have 100m less range than normal, but upgrading the torpedo maintenance ability reduces that chance, as well as reducing the chance of a dud.

It didn’t work with WinRAR for me, but 7Zip worked perfectly.

Thank for your suggestions Cyber. I could use some of them for sure...:hmm2:

Regarding torpedo range and dud calculations...
Since the torpedo range is by default randomized by TDW Generic Patcher (+-5%), my topr. maintenance ability will add 10% range, making TDW randomization, if nothing else, positive for us. Nothing "game changing" and it shouldn't be IMO after all.
Dud calculations are completely controlled by GP. Nothing to do with my settings.

Fully maintained TII will have ~4.5km range at 29 kn. I don't wan't to match it with TIII.

Cybermat47 10-30-18 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vdr1981 (Post 2574918)
Fully maintained TII will have ~4.5km range at 29 kn. I don't wan't to match it with TIII.

I understand that, but I think it would be more historically accurate to give the TII 5km/30 knots, and the TIII 7.5km/30 knots.

The only difference between the TII and early TIIIs was the detonator - the Germans captured a British submarine and copied their detonators.

However, in mid-1942 (around 6 months after being introduced) the TIII was improved with a range of 7500m at 30 knots. For those of us who like to play as historically accurately as possible, we can just continue using the TII until mid-42.

So this way, both torpedoes are modeled more historically accurately for most of the game, and the TIII is still an improvement over the TII.

Here are the files with new torpedo ranges if you want to use them: http://www.mediafire.com/file/g58m1v...TIII+7.5km.zip

vdr1981 10-31-18 04:54 PM

Here is the updated version since some of the dialog scripts were causing CTDs in some situations. You'll also find small txt file with my notes in it.

For TWoS v2.2.8 only!
JSGME ready, enable the patch first.
NOT v2.2.8 gamesave compatible!

http://www.mediafire.com/file/ufzgl5...2.9_Beta+4.rar

fitzcarraldo 10-31-18 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vdr1981 (Post 2575041)
Here is the updated version since some of the dialog scripts were causing CTDs in some situations. You'll also find small txt file with my notes in it.

For TWoS v2.2.8 only!
JSGME ready, enable the patch first.
NOT v2.2.8 gamesave compatible!

Downloading now. No CTD in the previuos version. Many thanks!

Fitzcarraldo :Kaleun_Salute:

Muckenberg 11-02-18 10:15 AM

Hello
Unfortunately, can not I download Beta updates? Do you have the same problem?

fitzcarraldo 11-02-18 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Muckenberg (Post 2575291)
Hello
Unfortunately, can not I download Beta updates? Do you have the same problem?

I downloaded the last update on 10/31 and no problem.

Regards.

Fitzcarraldo :salute:

vdr1981 11-02-18 11:17 AM

Try it now guys...

Muckenberg 11-02-18 12:31 PM

Now OK. :Kaleun_Salute:

vdr1981 11-03-18 08:18 PM

https://i.postimg.cc/bNJrKKG5/SH5-Im...3-17-28-06.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/J420mPZz/SH5-Im...3-17-26-53.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/bwSJvk9H/SH5-Im...3-17-38-04.jpg

:hmm2:

Muckenberg 11-04-18 03:10 AM

Hello
So that's a very interesting idea.
When do you get the final version of the update? Anchor in Toulon and I really do not want to go through Gibraltar for the third time in the Atlantic.:)
It would be a big problem in this part of the campaign to change the home port from Toulon to Saint Nazaire right at the beginning. The Gibraltar crossings from the Mediterranean Sea to the Atlantic are not based on historical bases. Actually, I can not remember if a German submarine has tried it?
In Toulon, German surface water vessels are also anchored, which is also not historically accurate.
Thank you for your answer, I think I will send you a beer in the near future.:Kaleun_Cheers:

vdr1981 11-04-18 08:17 AM

Quote:

When do you get the final version of the update? Anchor in Toulon and I really do not want to go through Gibraltar for the third time in the Atlantic.:)
I'll try to have it ready for the next weekend but I have to be very careful because new changes require a lot of testing (especially scripts).

Quote:

It would be a big problem in this part of the campaign to change the home port from Toulon to Saint Nazaire right at the beginning. The Gibraltar crossings from the Mediterranean Sea to the Atlantic are not based on historical bases. Actually, I can not remember if a German submarine has tried it?
I'm aware of that but instant jump from base to base is even more unrealistic IMO. No U-bout has ever left the Mediterranean, I agree, but has one ever been ordered to do so?:hmm2:

Quote:

In Toulon, German surface water vessels are also anchored, which is also not historically accurate.
Can you confirm that no ship has ever flown German flag in Toulon harbor during the entire course of war?

Quote:

Thank you for your answer, I think I will send you a beer in the near future.:Kaleun_Cheers:
:salute:

Muckenberg 11-04-18 10:55 AM

Hello
so I would really wonder if a submarine was ordered to cross Gibraltar from the Mediterranean Sea back to the Atlantic. Really interesting consideration.
Well, in 1942 there was certainly no large Kriegsmarine floating craft. There was no way to get there. Gibraltar did not work and Suez did not. But again for the game, this is an insignificant little thing and you have definitely more important things to do.:Kaleun_Salute:
So I'll wait for the update and then start a new career. I'm really curious about the crew morale.

vdr1981 11-04-18 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Muckenberg (Post 2575561)
Hello
so I would really wonder if a submarine was ordered to cross Gibraltar from the Mediterranean Sea back to the Atlantic. Really interesting consideration.
Well, in 1942 there was certainly no large Kriegsmarine floating craft. There was no way to get there. Gibraltar did not work and Suez did not. But again for the game, this is an insignificant little thing and you have definitely more important things to do.:Kaleun_Salute:
So I'll wait for the update and then start a new career. I'm really curious about the crew morale.

Yes, I agree about the KM warships, but those are randomly spawned ships from generic German convoys.:hmmm: I'm not sure is there an easy solution for this without braking something else in the campaign , but I'll take a look at it anyway...:hmmm:

Fifi 11-04-18 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vdr1981 (Post 2575541)
:

Can you confirm that no ship has ever flown German flag in Toulon harbor during the entire course of war?

:salute:

It seems only few units of little importance were there with German flag.
It could be old French boats converted Germans when they took the place though (of what they could save)
But there was an U-Boat flotilla there (don’t know how many units in this 29th flottille, but i know they lost 2 or 3 sub during an American bombing of Toulon)
What’s for sure is many big French ships were sunk there just when Germans arrived (as you certainly know) and they stayed half sunk till the end of war in the harbor. Battle ship, destroyers, light cruiser etc

Cybermat47 11-04-18 07:52 PM

Might be worth taking a look at some other bases as well, Vecko. For example, the Emden can be found in St. Nazaire, when in reality her WWII career was spent entirely in the North Sea and the Baltic.