SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   SH5 Mods Workshop (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=249)
-   -   [REL]The Wolves of Steel - SH5 Megamod (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=210703)

Tonci87 05-04-19 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lanzfeld (Post 2607105)
Been playing WOS quite a bit lately so I have a few questions please....

1. You can press one of the F keys for silent running (F7 I think) but you can also ask the first officer to activate his silent running. Then there is the “Z” key. Is there a difference?

2. Same with “Battle Stations”. Press F8 and/or watch officer “battle stations (Level 2?)”. Is there a difference and can anyone tell me really what these do? I know it says the crew is more efficient but can we be more specific than that?

3. This one bothers me. I’m north of England on an overcast night. Light fog, wind speed 15 m/s. I go to the bridge and (dammit) there is a 2900 ton English coal ship in plain sight maybe 3 to 4 Km away!!! Watch officer sees nothing despite his level 2 spotting skills (out of 3). It is plain as day even with out binoculars but I give the game the benefit of the doubt because of the (really not that bad) weather and I approach the enemy ship to see exactly when my bridge crew and watch officer will spot it. I closed to about 500 meters and no one ever said anything. It was huge and plain as day. Asked the watch officer if there were any visual targets and he said none. We are talking light fog here. Does something need adjusting?

Thank you to anyone who responds to these questions.:Kaleun_Salute:

To 1) You should active and deactivate silent running and battle stations with the F keys. Don´t talk to the officer to do that. I once had the unpleasant experience of the game crashing when I asked the 1WO to end silent running.

To 2) I believe the Battlestations level 2 ability is for use with the deck gun crew. I do not know if it gives any extra bonuses, but they will at least properly secure the gun when you deactivate it.

To 3) That is not normal behavior Please post your modlist

Quote:

Originally Posted by Susexx (Post 2607132)
The submarine is undamaged. The beginning of a career type VIIa. To commands does not react.

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/pict...ictureid=10332

That should not happen and is, as VDR pointed out, probably a result of incompatible mods. Modlist pelase.

Lanzfeld 05-04-19 05:21 PM

I have no mods other than TWoS.

I can think of two remote possibilities.....

1. Maybe there was a little mixup in programming. The higher you watch officers spotting ability instead of better spotting maybe it actually decreases his spotting ability? If Vecko could look at the code just to make sure it’s correct that would be great. The only reason I bring this up is I did not notice the problem until AFTER I made him a level 2 spotter.

Or

2. I think he said recently in the patch notes he tweaked some sort of visibility number. Would this affect our watch officer spotting ability? I highly doubt this as I notice a change in the game itself without any moat he changes.

This seems to be happening at night. The W.O. Seriously loses the ability to spot until things are very close .

Susexx 05-04-19 06:09 PM

Environmental MOD for Silent Hunter 5 сreating a problem. Thanks for your help ! :Kaleun_Cheers:

bstanko6 05-04-19 07:35 PM

No issue here. Are your guys on low morale?

Schroeder 05-05-19 01:14 AM

First, the Short Stirling isn't a flying boat.:03:
https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Short_Stirling

Second, if you already know the name why don't you use Google?:hmmm:
https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lockheed_Hudson

And third, why is this in General Topics and not the SH5 forum?:O:

*Edit*
Ok, the post I responded to was removed so it's now out of context. o_O

Salvadoreno 05-05-19 02:28 AM

I cannot find this guide anywhere, so I hope im not embarrassing myself..

Do you know of any guides for tracking down convoy reports using realnav?

What does, scope bearing, true bearing, etc.. mean? ANy guides on how to successfully track down convoys in WOS w/ Real Nav?

Thanks!

Tonci87 05-05-19 03:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Salvadoreno (Post 2607386)
I cannot find this guide anywhere, so I hope im not embarrassing myself..

Do you know of any guides for tracking down convoy reports using realnav?

What does, scope bearing, true bearing, etc.. mean? ANy guides on how to successfully track down convoys in WOS w/ Real Nav?

Thanks!

I´ll try to do a video about that today

Salvadoreno 05-05-19 12:22 PM

That would be amazing! I have been at sea for 10 days now with no contacts but a lot of convoy reports!

XenonSurf 05-05-19 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Salvadoreno (Post 2607507)
That would be amazing! I have been at sea for 10 days now with no contacts but a lot of convoy reports!

I think you must be able to work with the Long/Lat tool to mark the position given by BDU with a Supermark, then throw a rough course line and you can calculate if you can intercept the convoy or not. Now, in my game I would just see the long/lat on the map, in real navigation you won't see it I guess, a map without long/lat data, humpf...who has invented such a map (sarcasm: on)

(Sarcasm: off): Whatever, the long/lat tool is when hitting E somewhere in the map tools.

Good plotting!
:Kaleun_Cheers:

bstanko6 05-05-19 03:28 PM

Salvadoreno...

Click my signature for videos on tracking radio contacts and such. Hope they help!

Tonci87 05-05-19 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Salvadoreno (Post 2607507)

I didn´t manage to do it today, I was too busy attacking a convoy together with another submarine. Coincidentally we both attacked at the same time and so suddenly half the convoy was on fire, complete mayhem everywhere. That was amazing :D

It was a good patrol:

Tonci. Patrol #12. 11/8/1940

-------------------------------------------------------
Patrol #12
10/20/1940 5:45:17 PM Out on patrol from the base Lorient
10/26/1940 Objective achieved Patrol area assigned. Reach the area AL8539 and start operations. Attack any enemy contact
10/28/1940 Objective achieved New orders 1
10/31/1940 2:41:00 PM Destroyed Illustrious Fleet Carrier, 23000 tons, Long 20° 10' W, Lat 54° 52' N
11/3/1940 Objective achieved New orders 2
11/3/1940 11:51:00 AM Destroyed Small Old Split Merchant, 2436 tons, Long 17° 39' W, Lat 50° 47' N
11/4/1940 4:44:00 AM Destroyed Catapult ship, 4344 tons, Long 17° 35' W, Lat 50° 38' N
11/4/1940 4:44:00 AM Destroyed North Sands Type Large Freighter, 7174 tons, Long 17° 35' W, Lat 50° 38' N
11/4/1940 5:10:00 AM Destroyed North Sands Type Large Freighter, 7179 tons, Long 17° 35' W, Lat 50° 39' N
11/4/1940 6:57:00 AM Destroyed Granville Type Medium Freighter, 4299 tons, Long 17° 35' W, Lat 50° 40' N
11/4/1940 7:28:00 AM Destroyed A Class Destroyer, 1188 tons, Long 17° 33' W, Lat 50° 42' N
11/4/1940 9:41:00 AM Destroyed Medium Old Split Freighter II, 5091 tons, Long 17° 33' W, Lat 50° 43' N
11/8/1940 9:49:47 AM Completion of a patrol in the base Lorient

Sinking tonnage: 54,711

Patrol time: 19 days

I´ll make a video explaining what those Convoy reports mean and how to use them to your advantage. Hopefully tomorrow.

Lanzfeld 05-05-19 06:00 PM

OK for those of you who are wondering why my watch officer was losing his spotting ability at night I’m not sure if I fixed it or not. And I checked his moral was high.

The bug went away when I stopped using the journal. I never open the saved journal anymore ( ow I don’t use it at all) and also i use to delete the auto save and then load my saved game with the “continued career” function and I no longer do that. By stopping these two things my watch officer seems to have regain his ability to spot ships.

I hope this helps anyone else.

Also since I’m here..... sometimes I run across a group of two ships but only one of them is producing smoke. Does anyone else have this from time to time?

XenonSurf 05-05-19 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lanzfeld (Post 2607577)
OK for those of you who are wondering why my watch officer was losing his spotting ability at night I’m not sure if I fixed it or not. And I checked his moral was high.

The bug went away when I stopped using the journal. I never open the saved journal anymore ( ow I don’t use it at all) and also i use to delete the auto save and then load my saved game with the “continued career” function and I no longer do that. By stopping these two things my watch officer seems to have regain his ability to spot ships.

I hope this helps anyone else.

Also since I’m here..... sometimes I run across a group of two ships but only one of them is producing smoke. Does anyone else have this from time to time?

I don't think it has anything to do with the journal, this game function is far away from the behavior of your WO.
Saving games correctly in SH5 has surely to do something with it. Here the Does & Don'ts that you must keep an eye on if you don't want big trouble (this is not to memorize, it's just for reference):

-------------------------------------------------
When saving the game - and when not...

You will be surprised that I make such a doc, but the savegames in SH5 are so complex that they can ruin your day when you save at the wrong time or when your savegames become corrupt. So read all this and remember carefully.

Save the game everytime you start a new campaign or campaign section, just after entering the bunker screen. Save and reload from the main menu. A pop-up text in TWOS will remind you of this. DO IT, or the campaign may not play out correctly!

Don't use Autosaves, don't overwrite old saves, always save in a separate slot, use names without spaces like camp_1, camp_2 etc. to save your campaign progresses.
Autosaves can easily get corrupted and overwriting saves could make your save 'vanish'.

3. Best moments to save...
During the campaign, save when no ships are nearby, far away from bunkers or major ports in open sea in order to minimize save corruptions.
Best moment to save is after a convoy attack and after leaving the place in open sea with no more ships in sight, or after leaving your patrol zone (see next point). Save often in these conditions, the more saves you do the less you need to replay after a possible crash when reloading...

Saving in your patrol zone will unfortunately RESET your required patrol time in that zone. The consequence is not very severe, but it's nasty. So be sure to save just BEFORE you enter the patrol zone (just in case something goes horribly wrong), then patrol your required time in one piece without saving (you can use TC!), then save just AFTER leaving the zone and after you have patrolled the required time in order to secure your progress.

DO NOT SAVE THE GAME WHEN...
- Damaged or combatting AI units are nearby;
- When planes are flying nearby;
- If your sub is damaged and underwater; also don't use TC higher than 16;
- In heavy populated ports or just outside your bunker, go further away.
- If you have finished your time in the patrol zone, then LEAVE IT before saving (see reason above).
The 2 first ones can corrupt your savegames, especially the first one. The other ones can just be fine, but it's not optimum for game stability.

IF YOU GET A CORRUPTED SAVEGAME...
Sometimes you can rescue the save by deleting the file "Special.txt" from your savegame folder (...Documents\SH5\data\cfg\SaveGames\0000000*). Reload the save and pray...

-------------------------------------------------

XenonSurf 05-05-19 06:54 PM

[Please disregard...solution found]

Hi Veko,
in Wos, the observation scope inside the sub has a darker color than the one used in SteelViking's Interior Mod V1.2 (or its 1.2.2 patch). How did you change it? Is there a mod for this, or which files would I need to change to have this dark color?

Here 2 screenshots to illustrate the difference, the 1st comes from SteelVilkin's mod, the 2nd from your WoS.

https://ibb.co/xF0fz50
https://ibb.co/FzBqjXd

Thanks very much for the info!
Best greetings,
:Kaleun_Cheers:

Salvadoreno 05-05-19 10:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tonci87 (Post 2607563)
I didn´t manage to do it today, I was too busy attacking a convoy together with another submarine. Coincidentally we both attacked at the same time and so suddenly half the convoy was on fire, complete mayhem everywhere. That was amazing :D

It was a good patrol:

Tonci. Patrol #12. 11/8/1940

Patrol #12
10/20/1940 5:45:17 PM Out on patrol from the base Lorient
10/26/1940 Objective achieved Patrol area assigned. Reach the area AL8539 and start operations. Attack any enemy contact
10/28/1940 Objective achieved New orders 1
10/31/1940 2:41:00 PM Destroyed Illustrious Fleet Carrier, 23000 tons, Long 20° 10' W, Lat 54° 52' N
11/3/1940 Objective achieved New orders 2
11/3/1940 11:51:00 AM Destroyed Small Old Split Merchant, 2436 tons, Long 17° 39' W, Lat 50° 47' N
11/4/1940 4:44:00 AM Destroyed Catapult ship, 4344 tons, Long 17° 35' W, Lat 50° 38' N
11/4/1940 4:44:00 AM Destroyed North Sands Type Large Freighter, 7174 tons, Long 17° 35' W, Lat 50° 38' N
11/4/1940 5:10:00 AM Destroyed North Sands Type Large Freighter, 7179 tons, Long 17° 35' W, Lat 50° 39' N
11/4/1940 6:57:00 AM Destroyed Granville Type Medium Freighter, 4299 tons, Long 17° 35' W, Lat 50° 40' N
11/4/1940 7:28:00 AM Destroyed A Class Destroyer, 1188 tons, Long 17° 33' W, Lat 50° 42' N
11/4/1940 9:41:00 AM Destroyed Medium Old Split Freighter II, 5091 tons, Long 17° 33' W, Lat 50° 43' N
11/8/1940 9:49:47 AM Completion of a patrol in the base Lorient

Sinking tonnage: 54,711

Patrol time: 19 days

I´ll make a video explaining what those Convoy reports mean and how to use them to your advantage. Hopefully tomorrow.

Not a worry friend not a worry, just appreciate your help. I did not know WoS had AI subs attacking convoys. That's amazing!