SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   SH5 Mods Workshop (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=249)
-   -   [REL]The Wolves of Steel - SH5 Megamod (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=210703)

gap 12-01-15 08:27 AM

I am currently working on a proper Regelbau M272 bunker model:

http://i519.photobucket.com/albums/u...2014.15.56.jpg

I have still work to do on it, but being an accurate replica of a real WWII bunker, it looks much lesser cartoonish than the SHIV model. Do you agree? :03:

It will also require a new type of terrain platform, in the form of a sand dune or sea cliff.

After I finish with that I promise I will start working on some more realistic Britihs coastal artillery emplacements and pillboxes. :salute:

vdr1981 12-01-15 08:37 AM

ETA? :D:rotfl2::up:

gap 12-01-15 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vdr1981 (Post 2362750)
ETA? :D:rotfl2::up:

Well, I have already cleaned up the model removing the unnecessary detail (which accounted for several thousands of faces), but I want to further decrease the polygon count. Besides it, I need to partly redo the main UV map (as you can see some areas are texturelless, and other polygons have distorted textures), create the secondary UV map (for ambient occlusion texture), bake the AO map, etc. Moreover I will need to create a further simplified reflection map and LOD model. More or less one week of work :up:

P.S: I have checked your testing mod in game. I must admit that the current model looks amazing with the new textures and all, not to mention it casting and receiving shadows after being ported to the GR2 format. :yeah:
I was also pleased noticing that it is reported as "coastal defence". How the heck did you achieve that? I was afraid our watchcrew would have whispered their usual "warship sighted" thing... :D
I spotted a few bugs though. For a start the bunkers didn't use their searchlights (they shot their gun against my surfaced boat in a quite effective manner though :dead:), and secondly all the accessory goodies (sandbags and ammo crates) didn't show up.
Now I need to go out, but later today I will investigate on why this is happening and I will upload a fix here ASAP :up:

vdr1981 12-01-15 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gap (Post 2362758)
I was also pleased noticing that it is reported as "coastal defence". How the heck did you achieve that? I was afraid our watchcrew would have whispered their usual "warship sighted" thing... :D

There's stock coastal gun behind every bunker... Unfortunately, bunkers will be reported like ships also, both by sonarmen and watchcrew, that's the price of having working CD in SH5...:-?
Distance from unit plays part in search light activation, I'm not completely sure what is going on here , but it works...

gap 12-01-15 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vdr1981 (Post 2362765)
There's stock coastal gun behind every bunker...

Clever trick, I had a similar idea but I thoght (and hoped) you had found a better workaround :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by vdr1981 (Post 2362765)
Unfortunately, bunkers will be reported like ships also, both by sonarmen and watchcrew, that's the price of having working CD in SH5...:-?

This didn't happen during my testing session. Watchcrew kept reporting coastal defences (maybe those have priority over ship sighting report?). I didn't ask the sonarman, but having no sound signature (stationary and moreover with no sound controller), I think your FW defences will give an hard time to Benno before he can notice them :03:

Any remark on the flaws I have reported in my previous post? Did you notice the same?

vdr1981 12-01-15 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gap (Post 2362769)
Any remark on the flaws I have reported in my previous post? Did you notice the same?

Regarding boxes and bags? No, they weren't there but I thought that was intentional?

gap 12-01-15 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vdr1981 (Post 2362770)
Regarding boxes and bags? No, they weren't there but I thought that was intentional?

No, it isn't intentional, but I am more concerned about the searchlight. Does it work with the dat version of the bunker?

ColorKraken 12-01-15 11:43 AM

Thank you for this pack!
And especially for the separate DL link for us who cannot download so many mods each day! :)

ColorKraken 12-01-15 12:12 PM

I'm in the game now but I noticed that my interface is not as in youtube videos I have seen of this mod.
They have a new interface and I think I have SH3 interface or something.
How do I change to the other interface?

vdr1981 12-01-15 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gap (Post 2362807)
No, it isn't intentional, but I am more concerned about the searchlight. Does it work with the dat version of the bunker?

Search lights work on both gr2 and dat bunkers , no problems there.., You just need to be somewhat closer to the bunker. Dont ask me why, it's SH AI...:doh:

Quote:

Originally Posted by ColorKraken (Post 2362831)
I'm in the game now but I noticed that my interface is not as in youtube videos I have seen of this mod.
They have a new interface and I think I have SH3 interface or something.
How do I change to the other interface?

For that you'll have to use Options File Editor Viewer, check FAQ and tips to see how...:yep:

gap 12-01-15 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vdr1981 (Post 2362842)
Search lights work on both gr2 and dat bunkers , no problems there.., You just need to be somewhat closer to the bunker. Dont ask me why, it's SH AI...:doh:

Okay :up:

BTW I discovered why sandbags and ammo boxes didn't show up in game. Only the name of meshes which are bound to the root bone of a model can be linked through eqp file. Unfortunately most stock GR2 files have their meshes bound to a child bones of the root bone, and the bone binding feature of GR2 Editor doesn't seem to work; on the other side, all the GR2 files I have found so far with meshes bound to the main bone have some sort of limitations. This is not a big problem for our current purposes,we can just switch to using the name of the root node in eqp file, but it can be a major obstacle when modelling stuff which needs a collision detection. I bet that was the problem with Targor's naval mine refusing to explode after being imported in a GR2 file :hmmm:

Anyway: our bunker got sandbags and boxes now:

http://i519.photobucket.com/albums/u...ndbags%201.jpg

http://i519.photobucket.com/albums/u...ndbags%202.jpg

http://i519.photobucket.com/albums/u...ndbags%203.jpg

One a side note, I think bunker and crates need their materials/textures touched up: the way they are now they look a bit too shiny under the moonligh. In short I will upload a patch fixing all the issues above :)

vdr1981 12-01-15 02:41 PM

That looks awesome! :o :up:

Yes, the bunker is a bit to bright , especially in the sunlight...:yep:

EDIT
After you're finished with bags and crates can you delete unused Y bones with TDW editor?

gap 12-01-15 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vdr1981 (Post 2362868)
That looks awesome! :o :up:

Yes, the bunker is a bit to bright , especially in the sunlight...:yep:

Okay, I will see what can be done :up:

Quote:

Originally Posted by vdr1981 (Post 2362868)
EDIT
After you're finished with bags and crates can you delete unused Y bones with TDW editor?

Certainly possible though sometimes GR2 Editor tends to corrupt files when removing unused bones and materials. Anyway there aren't unused Y bones in the bunker model I sent to you. Remember that the sandbag and ammo box stacks are composed of several identical meshes repeated n times over the bunker model, each element requiring its own linking bone. This is a resource-effective way to deal with game models I learned from Jeff Grooves (aka privateer) :03:

finchOU 12-01-15 04:49 PM

hmmm Torpedo depth keeping in bad weather?

So I just had this weird thing happen that i"ve never seen before.

I'm taking a submerged shot on a Small composite merchant in Summer of 1940.

She is traveling at 353T at 9 knots. I"m set up for a 90 degree stern shot using standard torpedo depth of 2 meters. See that the Torp should hit on the hull with plenty of room for error i'm not worried. The sea state is pretty rough with 15 m/s winds......well I missed her...even though I visually tracked the torpedo until it "disappeared" into her starboard side. The torpedo kept going apparently missing her under her hull. I think...well no big deal she didn't see the torpedo and is still on course and speed so i'll just catch up to her and try again.

This time I set Torp depth to 1 meter......shoot....again visually track the torpedo to the starboard side of the ship and it again disappears but doesn't hit the ship. I've never been a magnetic guy due to the increased chance of torpedo failure (and frustration) and I've never had issues hitting small merchants in bad sea states.....at standard 2 meter torpedo depth.

This is my first patrol with 1.04.....am I missing something? I will say that I have not played TWOS for that long...I maybe did one patrol on 1.03 before switching to a new career and 1.04.

vdr1981 12-01-15 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by finchOU (Post 2362903)
So I just had this weird thing happen that i"ve never seen before.

I'm taking a submerged shot on a Small composite merchant in Summer of 1940.

She is traveling at 353T at 9 knots. I"m set up for a 90 degree stern shot using standard torpedo depth of 2 meters. See that the Torp should hit on the hull with plenty of room for error i'm not worried. The sea state is pretty rough with 15 m/s winds......well I missed her...even though I visually tracked the torpedo until it "disappeared" into her starboard side. The torpedo kept going apparently missing her under her hull. I think...well no big deal she didn't see the torpedo and is still on course and speed so i'll just catch up to her and try again.

This time I set Torp depth to 1 meter......shoot....again visually track the torpedo to the starboard side of the ship and it again disappears but doesn't hit the ship. I've never been a magnetic guy due to the increased chance of torpedo failure (and frustration) and I've never had issues hitting small merchants in bad sea states.....at standard 2 meter torpedo depth.

This is my first patrol with 1.04.....am I missing something?

Small ship, shallow draft, bad weather and unreliable depth settings of early torpedoes...Not a good conditions for torpedo attack :yep:
I bet they all went below keel...

PS
Which merchant?