SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   Silent Hunter 5 (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=244)
-   -   Where to start with SH5 (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=225372)

WildBlueYonder 03-27-16 04:30 PM

Where to start with SH5

I am having lots of fun in SH3 GWX, I'm currently sitting on over 400k in 6-7 patrols while using manual TDC, it's been great fun so far learning all of how to intercept a convoy etc.

But as the title says, since it was the ubisoft weekend on steam I bought both IV and V there...well, I figured I'd start form SHV. I downloaded (it shipped as 1.2 version) and immediately looked for mods but was woefully unprepared for the task, which seems very daunting...especially considering how the steam version is unsuited for modding it seems.

So basically I have 2 questions as of now:
1) Do I need to rebuy those 2 games? If so, I heard there was a way to buy the download version (no DVD if possible) from Amazon and support subsim at the same time, any link?

2) Tough question but...sobers or Wolves of Steel? The latter seems MUCH easier to install, but gameplay wise, any idea?

Thanks guys! :) (Happy Easter btw :) )

Sjizzle 03-27-16 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WildBlueYonder (Post 2393038)
I am having lots of fun in SH3 GWX, I'm currently sitting on over 400k in 6-7 patrols while using manual TDC, it's been great fun so far learning all of how to intercept a convoy etc.

But as the title says, since it was the ubisoft weekend on steam I bought both IV and V there...well, I figured I'd start form SHV. I downloaded (it shipped as 1.2 version) and immediately looked for mods but was woefully unprepared for the task, which seems very daunting...especially considering how the steam version is unsuited for modding it seems.

So basically I have 2 questions as of now:
1) Do I need to rebuy those 2 games? If so, I heard there was a way to buy the download version (no DVD if possible) from Amazon and support subsim at the same time, any link?

2) Tough question but...sobers or Wolves of Steel? The latter seems MUCH easier to install, but gameplay wise, any idea?

Thanks guys! :) (Happy Easter btw :) )

heya first of all

1. really bad decision to buy Sh5 from Steam cos TDW's Generic patcher doesn't support steam version of the game there is a fix but i can not guaranty for that one here is the link how to use the tdw's patcher with the steam version of the game.
  2. before install any mods or patch the game with tdw's patcher click on the link in my signature and read there pls
  3. if u don't wanna mess up with tonnes of mods and mods incompatibility i suggest u TWOS.
  4. if u wanna make your own mod list then i suggest u to follow sober mod list and load order link
  5. For my mod list link in signature but my mod list is based on MagUI which one is nothing else then Makman's UI for SH3.
  6. link to buy if from amazon and support subsim

excel4004 03-27-16 04:57 PM

What a support - wow! :yeah:

WildBlueYonder 03-29-16 03:58 PM

Well I followed all the steps to the letter, how do I know if the mod is correctly installed? Also, I have a slightly different UI from this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PcmFnE1BLIw

Despite having the same mod...damn you steam..

siege00 03-29-16 04:32 PM

Define 'slightly different'? Which mod / mega mod did you install? TWoS? If so, within TWoS there are a few slight differences in UI that are configurable user options. Also, somethings may change based on updates to the mods.

If you're able to play as expected, it's probably installed correctly.

WildBlueYonder 03-29-16 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by siege00 (Post 2393531)
Define 'slightly different'? Which mod / mega mod did you install? TWoS? If so, within TWoS there are a few slight differences in UI that are configurable user options. Also, somethings may change based on updates to the mods.

If you're able to play as expected, it's probably installed correctly.

TWoS. Basically I don't have the recognition manual and other options in the top right, I don't have all the dials for gyroangle, bearing, AoB, and various tools in the bottom left. Also I don't have that type of grid of the map.

That video is how it's supposed to look I guess, so that's why I said mine was different.

Getting quite sad because it looks like Steam is one SoB to mod...

siege00 03-29-16 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WildBlueYonder (Post 2393538)
TWoS. Basically I don't have the recognition manual and other options in the top right, I don't have all the dials for gyroangle, bearing, AoB, and various tools in the bottom left. Also I don't have that type of grid of the map.

That video is how it's supposed to look I guess, so that's why I said mine was different.

Getting quite sad because it looks like Steam is one SoB to mod...

OUCH... um... just to ask... are they on autohide mode? ie. if you mouse over to where they are supposed to be do they show up (for the top right and bottom left controls)?

Did you do anything with the Options File Editor?

WildBlueYonder 03-30-16 12:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by siege00 (Post 2393541)
OUCH... um... just to ask... are they on autohide mode? ie. if you mouse over to where they are supposed to be do they show up (for the top right and bottom left controls)?

Did you do anything with the Options File Editor?

No to both questions, I'm afraid. :/

HW3 03-30-16 12:35 AM

If you are doing the first mission of the campaign in the Baltic against Poland, you are the first officer, not the captain, so some of the options are not available to you. You will get them when you are given command of your own boat. I know I was confused when it happened to me.

THEBERBSTER 03-30-16 04:48 AM

Hi HW3
Where you referring to the 'Tutorial'?
Peter

WildBlueYonder 03-30-16 07:12 AM

Am I supposed to be able to draw waypoints to get my uboat to move? As in click on the uboat and make waypoints for it?

Real navigation is enabled but I have doubts it's working..

Sjizzle 03-30-16 07:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WildBlueYonder (Post 2393651)
Am I supposed to be able to draw waypoints to get my uboat to move? As in click on the uboat and make waypoints for it?

Real navigation is enabled but I have doubts it's working..

to draw your waypoints u need to disable Real Navigation ......

HW3 03-30-16 09:50 AM

Peter, for me it was the first campaign mission "Coastal Waters". The captain was in the control room. When we docked in Kiel at the end of the patrol, we were met by the flottille commander. The captain was given command of U-122, and I was given command of U-28. Knowing me, I probably did something wrong.

WildBlueYonder 03-30-16 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sjizzle (Post 2393658)
to draw your waypoints u need to disable Real Navigation ......

That's the problem Sjizzle. I have real navigation activated in JSGME but i can draw waypoints, means the mod is not activated properly :/

Sjizzle 03-30-16 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WildBlueYonder (Post 2393693)
That's the problem Sjizzle. I have real navigation activated in JSGME but i can draw waypoints, means the mod is not activated properly :/

the mod is active that's why u can't draw the way points disable the mod and then u can draw your way points .....