SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   SH5 Mods Workshop (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=249)
-   -   [REL]The Wolves of Steel - SH5 Megamod (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=210703)

Cyborg322 10-24-17 07:15 PM

2.0.0c

Hi Vecko

Came across this little stunner Coal Ship 2900t lit up like a Christmas tree after 2 Deckgun hits and we are only in October RIP in the North Sea 5 hits

https://i.imgur.com/czoIL7M.jpg

Missing damage textures UV ? looks much brighter in Game

Simon

vdr1981 10-25-17 01:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cyborg322 (Post 2520071)
Hi Vecko

Came across this little stunner Coal Ship 2900t lit up like a Christmas tree after 2 Deckgun hits and we are only in October RIP in the North Sea 5 hits

Simon

I've noticed the same problem but on different ship type. I'll check their zon files this afternoon...

SS Norholm 10-25-17 08:10 AM

Thanks for the latest update Vecko. I installed it correctly in port this time! :03:
Before i head out on patrol again, can we expect another update soon? Or are we good to hunt for a few days?

Keep up the good work fella. :salute:

John.

KirinFrost 10-25-17 09:23 AM

Can anyone tell me how to restore map contact update and auto tdc while using this mega mod pls? I know its a feature but i really want it back :(

And i noticed that the mod prevents the GHG listening apparatus from picking up contacts on the surface which should not be the case.

I have researched on it before and i think that since the GHG is placed below the waterline, it should pick up contacts on the surface as well. Any idea on how to disable this particular mod inside the modpack? :)

vdr1981 10-25-17 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cyborg322 (Post 2520071)
Hi Vecko

Simon

Ok, I have found what is the problem and fixing it right now :yep:...If anyone encounters the same issue with some other ship type, please let me know. This texture glitch can also potentially cause CTD so it has to be solved ASAP...:yep: Just make sure to include screenshot in your post as Cyborg322 did...

vdr1981 10-25-17 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vdr1981 (Post 2520137)
Ok, I have found what is the problem and fixing it right now :yep:...If anyone encounters the same issue with some other ship type, please let me know. This texture glitch can also potentially cause CTD so it has to be solved ASAP...:yep: Just make sure to include screenshot in your post as Cyborg322 did...

Ok, I think I have fixed few encountered problems with v2.0.9c although my previous request is still valid... You can check my signature for new v2.0.9d update.

Note that Captains who are using v2.0.9a to v2.0.9c should be able to activate new update at the sea (in patrol) as well...:yep:

Cheers!

Quote:

v2.0.9d
- New destroyer type (Chacal, France)
- Important zon file fixes for two imported ship types (damaged unit texture glitch).
- Various file, nations roster and campaign layers fixes and fine tuning tweaks.
- TWoS credits updated with the names of latest outstanding TWoS supporters: Mark "mkiii" Keen, thank You very much Captain!

https://s6.postimg.org/9bnby9eyp/SH5...4_22.13.09.png

fitzcarraldo 10-25-17 06:45 PM

Another update! Great! Downloading now. Many thanks!

Fitzcarraldo :Kaleun_Salute:

excel4004 10-25-17 07:22 PM

The new lighted ships are very beautiful! Many thanks Vecko! And also the other new different ships makes the game more alive again - great stuff here!! :D :up:

I did the campaign process workaround from CW to HT.

I still have my VIIA, i read in HT stock sub is VIIB. How the way to get a VIIB? Only with JSGME "VIIB from the beginning", or is there another solution? :hmmm:

Later in the campaigns the VIIC and so on is waiting too and i think i need always the Campaign process workaround method for switching my campaigns. So how to get all these boats in future too? Is there any kind of promotion includes the game or or you have to change these manually?

palmic 10-26-17 05:06 AM

i saw gwx last weekend and it look also very nice, particularly hanged food around, atmosphere is much better there thanks to better lightning, but i could never go back to waypoints from real navigation :)

New updates to twos are best of last year :salute:

Skvid 10-26-17 09:22 AM

On sounds

So after playing a bit more i have a couple of observations:

Some of the sound effects, which i assume are modded (if not, i would really appreciate if someone could provide me with a decent sfx mod, if one exists) are really bad, to name a few:

*Depth charge explosions: theres only one type of sound bite, and its cheapo bang with what i can only assume glass shattering followed by it. Which is ridicilous. Doesnt even matter if it misses you. And hearing the identical sound over and over again gets old fast. I wouldn't be surprised if the sfx sample is just a ripped audio file from das boot, im sorry but it doesn't work in this game.

Short loops/variance in rain and wave splash sound effects, its very noticable and annoying. If there is a way to disable these, like delete the sound files or smth i would like to do so.

Also, i don't know if i should hear it, but i can't hear the splashes of depth charges being dropped, only the crew saying "wasserbomben!" The explosions arent audible through hydrophone either, maybe its a good thing because it would be deafening i imagine, but lack of any sound que breaks immersion... Less than a glass shattering sfx i mentioned earlier though.

Oh and again, dont know if its supposed to sound like that, but torpedo boat sounds weird as hell through sonar, almost like... well... a torpedo. Apart from sound, it appears to be able to track me when im submerged just as well as a destroyer, which i find weird, they also spot a periscope in high, 15m/s wind, seas. And the best part... one boat i encountered was just casually blazing in full open fire while chasing me around, it was like that when i saw it. (im not using any other mods). Btw while we are on topic of torp boats, do they actually fire their torpedoes?

The knob on the hydrophone doesn't do anything when i turn it :(

Cyborg322 10-26-17 12:21 PM

Sound effects

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skvid (Post 2520317)
So after playing a bit more i have a couple of observations:

Some of the sound effects, which i assume are modded (if not, i would really appreciate if someone could provide me with a decent sfx mod, if one exists) are really bad, to name a few:

*Depth charge explosions: theres only one type of sound bite, and its cheapo bang with what i can only assume glass shattering followed by it. Which is ridicilous. Doesnt even matter if it misses you. And hearing the identical sound over and over again gets old fast. I wouldn't be surprised if the sfx sample is just a ripped audio file from das boot, im sorry but it doesn't work in this game.

Short loops/variance in rain and wave splash sound effects, its very noticable and annoying. If there is a way to disable these, like delete the sound files or smth i would like to do so.

Also, i don't know if i should hear it, but i can't hear the splashes of depth charges being dropped, only the crew saying "wasserbomben!" The explosions arent audible through hydrophone either, maybe its a good thing because it would be deafening i imagine, but lack of any sound que breaks immersion... Less than a glass shattering sfx i mentioned earlier though.

Oh and again, dont know if its supposed to sound like that, but torpedo boat sounds weird as hell through sonar, almost like... well... a torpedo. Apart from sound, it appears to be able to track me when im submerged just as well as a destroyer, which i find weird, they also spot a periscope in high, 15m/s wind, seas. And the best part... one boat i encountered was just casually blazing in full open fire while chasing me around, it was like that when i saw it. (im not using any other mods). Btw while we are on topic of torp boats, do they actually fire their torpedoes?

The knob on the hydrophone doesn't do anything when i turn it :(

HI SKvid

Most of these sound issues are inherent in the vanilla game and not related to the Wolves of Steel Mod

If there were better examples of sound effects I'm sure they would be considered

I'm not sure why you would want to listen to depth charges thru the Hydrophone you can hear them in the Sub

"Short loops/variance in rain and wave splash sound effects" are due to game limitations, there may be some limited for improvements but in all honesty I've not found them that noticeable or bothersome

The Torpedo boats are not fully functional but have a degree of firepower . working torpedoes would not be easy to address

In high seas your Sub would be more noticeable at periscope depth the whole upper deck would be visible at times as the depth undulates noticeably Go deeper .

If you are still being pursued go even deeper fast deploy decoys go to silent running any noise will be detected, this should shake them off

If you see a Destroyer firing at what seems randomly there is probably another Allied ship or Boat in the area or even more likely they are being attacked from the Air, Have you considered that ?

The Volume Knob on the Hydrophone station has never worked another Stock game omission blame Ubisoft

Simon

fitzcarraldo 10-26-17 12:27 PM

SKvid; you could use the Das Boot sound mod but conserve the sh file of TWoS in the sound folder. It works with TWoS. Try it. All the SH series have a lot of problems with sound effects. SH4 is disastrous in this aspect.

Fitzcarraldo

Skvid 10-26-17 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cyborg322 (Post 2520341)
HI SKvid

Most of these sound issues are inherent in the vanilla game and not related to the Wolves of Steel Mod

If there were better examples of sound effects I'm sure they would be considered

I'm not sure why you would want to listen to depth charges thru the Hydrophone you can hear them in the Sub

"Short loops/variance in rain and wave splash sound effects" are due to game limitations, there may be some limited for improvements but in all honesty I've not found them that noticeable or bothersome

The Torpedo boats are not fully functional but have a degree of firepower . working torpedoes would not be easy to address

In high seas your Sub would be more noticeable at periscope depth the whole upper deck would be visible at times as the depth undulates noticeably Go deeper .

If you are still being pursued go even deeper fast deploy decoys go to silent running any noise will be detected, this should shake them off

If you see a Destroyer firing at what seems randomly there is probably another Allied ship or Boat in the area or even more likely they are being attacked from the Air, Have you considered that ?

The Volume Knob on the Hydrophone station has never worked another Stock game omission blame Ubisoft

Simon

Hey Simon, thanks for addressing all of my points in your response!

It's a shame about the limitations of the game, as for your other points:

Quote:

Are we still talking about torp boats here? The way i figured it their low vantage point would make it very unlikely to spot me in high seas, i mean i could barely spot them through my periscope in between the waves. But its good to know that the game actually simulates the whole "uncovering in between the swells" aspect, and its not just cosmetical. I thought that i was hidden as long as the submerged icon was on. Wonder how game simulates it, bit early for ray casting tech.

Are the torp boats equipped with passive sonar?

Quote:

I haven't encountered that. Hopefully i will. Does the BdU actually form wolfpacks in this game? I.e i send a convoy contact report and they tell me to shadow it and wait for reinforcements.

Anyway, heres a video ive found of what appears to be a vanilla sh5, listen to those depth charges @ 3:09 mark. Unrealistic? Yeah sounds like ground artillery, but still way way WAY better than the ones we have in the mod.
https://youtu.be/Ct0rIz2BPi0?t=184

p.s Any idea how long will the mod downloads be disabled for free users? Atm they only allow to download if you have donated, it wasn't like that 2 days ago. ;/

Skvid 10-26-17 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fitzcarraldo (Post 2520344)
SKvid; you could use the Das Boot sound mod but conserve the sh file of TWoS in the sound folder. It works with TWoS. Try it. All the SH series have a lot of problems with sound effects. SH4 is disastrous in this aspect.

Fitzcarraldo

I have no problems with default robot voices of the crew, it doesn't bother me. Poorly blended clips from the movie would... be bothersome however. I do admire what they tried to achieve, though.

Skvid 10-26-17 01:21 PM

Oh and while we're on the topic of sounds. Am i deaf or only the sound guy can differentiate ships that are closing/constant/moving away from you. It all sounds the same, there is no audible doppler effect. Sure i can pick out the change of sound volume going stronger/fainter over 10 minutes, but not instantaneously like he does. This is where the volume knob would come in handy, i guess it works for him :D