SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   SH5 Mods Workshop (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=249)
-   -   [REL]The Wolves of Steel - SH5 Megamod (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=210703)

gap 02-18-16 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vdr1981 (Post 2382481)
I'm talking about new playable submarine type, not about AI graphical eye candies...

Sorry man, I felt I had not got your idea correctly...

Quote:

Originally Posted by vdr1981 (Post 2382481)
Would it really be necessary to remap all IDs if , for example, I wish to use VII C gr2 body/hull + U-FlaK conning tower in order to add one more playable submarine to the game?

Do you think that in that case appearance of new u-boat and type VIIC in the same area would crash the game because of duplicated IDs?

Do you actually know any fast scenario to artificially reproduce CTD caused by duplicated IDs?

Sry because of many questions but , right now, only you can help me..:yep:

No, as long as you use the same granny file with unchanged bone names, there is no need to remap controller IDs. There are still some unsolved problems though:

1 - Most of the times, the name of the main model (within an unit's gr2 file), the name of the gr2 file, and the name of the folder containing the gr2 file, are matched. This is not always true for AI-controlled units, but it is for playable U-boats. If we change model name, we need to remap controller Id's. If we don't, there will be a mismatch between model name and gr2 and/or folder name. Honestly I don't know if such a mismatch can cause any problem, but this is something we should factor in.

2 - Even supposing that the above wasn't an issue, we would have two U-boats sharing the same bone IDs. It would be impossible for the two of them to appear in the same time and location, as they both would be playable U-boats, and the player can only command one U-boat at any given time. Nonetheless, we should consider that controllers are loaded in memory based on their parent IDs. Name and folder location of the binary files where the controllers are stored might play a role as well, but I am not too sure about this last statement. If the above was true, duplicating two units which share the same ID's shouldn't cause any issue until they both spawn in player's area (which, as stated above, is impossible for two playable units), but if on the contrary file name and location are unrelevant, the game would crash as soon as one of the two units is loaded in memory (because of the two sets of controllers clashing with each other). Testing this scenario on AI controlled units is easy: pick an unit, move one of its essential binary files in any folder and rename it to a random name. Set a test mission with the picked unit and run it. If the game crashes it means it couldnt locate the essential controllers, i.e. file name and location are relevant. If not, only IDs matter, and your idea is not viable. Another possible test: duplicate an unit copying its files to a new folder, and change the cfg file of the duplicated unit so that the game will recognize them as two different units. To be sure to put yourself into the worst possible circumstance, change a bit controller settings of the duplicated unit; set a test mission with either of the two units and load it. If the game crashes, then the two sets of controllers are loaded because the have the same parent Ids, no matter their name or folder.

3 - More importantly: how do you "tell" the game that there is a new playable unit that the player can get assigned to? As far as I know, at least in SH5, playable units are hardcoded. :hmmm:

Cybermat47 02-18-16 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gap (Post 2382477)
Moreover, IIRC a while ago Cybermat has released a japanese midget submarine imported from SHIV. :03:

This reminds me, a while ago I tried importing AI subs from GWX into the game. I'm pretty sure that I got the milk cow working, and perhaps the Russian Schuka class (except for the guns) but of course I have to ask someone from the GWX team before I can release them.

excel4004 02-18-16 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VentHorizon (Post 2381886)
Greetings.
My charts options are gone. pressing "E" key does not help, it just turns recognition manual on and off. (and yea i did not misplace the options to the side of the screen by accident) I have disabled and enabled mods in JSGME. Even reinstalled the mods. It did not help. Any way to fix this? Can i somehow set everything back to default without reinstalling the game?

I got the same problem, someone got maybe a solution?

:subsim:

Cybermat47 02-18-16 08:03 PM

Ah yes, here we are.

Type XIV
http://i.imgur.com/jAlyUsi.jpg

Type XXIII (Which doesn't work, except perhaps as a zombie ship)
http://i.imgur.com/eukhsSo.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/ikn2cK5.jpg

S-Class (no guns yet)
http://i.imgur.com/GKrniHT.jpg

T-Class
http://i.imgur.com/JgTPCsr.jpg

Schuka Class (no guns yet)
http://i.imgur.com/NKmIaAZ.jpg

Adua Class (no guns yet)
http://i.imgur.com/Vl5HhON.jpg

Koranis 02-18-16 08:17 PM

I'm having some issues, I don't know if it's a bug or something to do with this mod.

First, I can't find "confirm target" checkbox anymore, it used to be in the handbook. Is this something new introduced by a mod included in the WOS? How am I supposed to send ship data to tdc? :hmmm:

Second, Bdu calls my uboat u-27 in the Captain's log, and U-28 in the Radio messages? Which am I? :hmmm:

Furthermore, I receive different messages in captain's log and radio messages. Bdu answers to my reports "Good job, blablabla" in captain's log and "you suck, be more aggressive" in radio reports.... so... which one is the right one?

kobiwaldi 02-19-16 02:17 AM

All your questions are answered in post 1 and in the Guides from webster (SH5 section - Tutorials / Faq)

Sjizzle 02-19-16 02:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Koranis (Post 2382510)
I'm having some issues, I don't know if it's a bug or something to do with this mod.

Quote:

First, I can't find "confirm target" checkbox anymore, it used to be in the handbook. Is this something new introduced by a mod included in the WOS? How am I supposed to send ship data to tdc? :hmmm:
to open the recognition manual press E key and u will see the recognition manual on the left side of the screen

Quote:

Second, Bdu calls my uboat u-27 in the Captain's log, and U-28 in the Radio messages? Which am I? :hmmm:
to see exactly which u-boat are u take a look at the ship journal in the right side of the screen....... the default captain name is Cpt.Stahl Wolfand nr is U-28

Quote:

Furthermore, I receive different messages in captain's log and radio messages. Bdu answers to my reports "Good job, blablabla" in captain's log and "you suck, be more aggressive" in radio reports.... so... which one is the right one?
open the radio message box and read from there all the messages not from the captains logs the radio message box is located on the right side of the screen and when u have a new message will flicker

palmic 02-19-16 04:13 AM

Auto target recognition is available in TWOS only if you enabled "Wind and Smoke" mod which is part of it.

Sjizzle 02-19-16 04:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by palmic (Post 2382538)
Auto target recognition is available in TWOS only if you enabled "Wind and Smoke" mod which is part of it.

Quote:

First, I can't find "confirm target" checkbox anymore, it used to be in the handbook. Is this something new introduced by a mod included in the WOS? How am I supposed to send ship data to tdc?
the send data to TDC is on recognition manual the confirm target is also in recognition manual i don't see anythink in that quote about auto recognition or targeting.... so no need wind and smoke patch..... wind and smoke patch is need it only if u wanna the auto ship identification option to be available again in TWoS ....no need for sending data to TDC or manual ship recognition

palmic 02-19-16 05:13 AM

agree, i just wasn't sure what he's asking about, so just to make sure :)

Koranis 02-19-16 05:14 AM

Thank you for all your answers folks, but none of them solves my issues regarding the handbook (ehm, recognition manual). I may have explained myself poorly.

I'm not looking for automatic recognition, nor how to open the recognition manual.

If I remember correctly, there used to be a checkbox in the recognition manual that, once checked, identified manually the target you were seing through the periscope. It was useful for data gathering, expecially if you were attacking a convoy because it allowed you to label each ship, and that info stayed in the "computer" in case you switched targets. "Send mast data to TDC" is not the same thing. Without it every ship stayed as "unknown freighter" or "unknown warship".

I realize it might have been a little gamey but it was part of the manual process. Since I cannot find it, I asked if it was due to a mod that removed it, and how was I going to "label" the ships I was identifying.

kobiwaldi 02-19-16 05:28 AM

As i posted before... look in post 1. I was corectly understanding you :D

The mod is using manual targeting. you need to enter all by yourself in tdc

Koranis 02-19-16 06:45 AM

Hmmm, I still think we are not on the same page.

If you are referring to these entries....

- Where's mine target identify button?!
In this megamod automatic target recognition is disabled due to somewhat unrealistic implementation. There really aren't to many ships to be recognized in SH5 so auto recognition while the ship is 20 km away is a huge gamebraker...

AND/OR

- How do you access a recognition manual that can feed TDC?
Press "E" key or notepad lookalike charts GUI button on the bar near right edge of the screen. Recognition manual's "drag" tab will become visible near left edge of the screen. Stock Rec. manual in XO dialog screen is disabled because it's incorrect and incomplete...

...then it's not what I'm talking about.

I'm talking about manual recognition process, not automatic one. In the manual process you had to find the ship you were looking at in the recognition manual, and once you found it you checked the box in the same recognition manual, just under the image of the ship. That turned "unknown ship" into "Victory class freighter" for example.

This is not possible in my current "WOS-modded" game.

gap 02-19-16 07:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Koranis (Post 2382542)
If I remember correctly, there used to be a checkbox in the recognition manual that, once checked, identified manually the target you were seing through the periscope.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Koranis (Post 2382556)
I'm talking about manual recognition process, not automatic one. In the manual process you had to find the ship you were looking at in the recognition manual, and once you found it you checked the box in the same recognition manual, just under the image of the ship. That turned "unknown ship" into "Victory class freighter" for example.

I think you mean the checkboxes you could use for filtering ships by their island arrangement, type of superstructure, bow shape, number and shape of funnels, etc. In TWoS, the stock recognition manual has been replaced with the SOAN (Ships of All the Nations) manual from TDW's UI mod, but unless Vecko has tweaked the latter, it should still feature those filters. :hmmm:

palmic 02-19-16 07:13 AM

I think this is not implemented in TWOS, i've never seen it. As i never played vanilla, it makes perfect sense.

2) As about 20km visual recognition - its nonsense, no submarine sailor would identify any ship at such distance.
+ however you dont even need it, its so much time to measure its course from 5-7km, you'll manage to make your coffee for final hit.

My style is to measure ship course, distance and speed from 20-40km by hydrophone bearing analysis go find 4 bearings method video at YT if you dont know how.
With this info you dont even need to measure it optically for long distance, just confirm it at ~5km.