SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   SH4 Mods Workshop (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=219)
-   -   [TEC] Reviving the Noob Modders Task Force (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=252840)

Admiral Halsey 02-17-15 08:19 PM

Welcome aboard guys! I'm getting the basics of what I know written down(its not much BTW) to get the guide started still but it should be up within a few days.

iambecomelife 02-17-15 08:21 PM

I'm not really a noob modder. But there still is a lot I don't know, despite modding the series for almost 10 years! It looks like I'm one of the only older modders still actively working on a major mod, so I'd be happy to help out.

Admiral Halsey 02-17-15 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iambecomelife (Post 2288793)
I'm not really a noob modder. But there still is a lot I don't know, despite modding the series for almost 10 years! It looks like I'm one of the only older modders still actively working on a major mod, so I'd be happy to help out.

Anything you can add to the guide would be a great help.

Jolierouge 02-18-15 04:41 PM

@Merc4ulfate: sound-files are in Data/Sound.
Sonar-Sound is amb_hydrophone and ships you listen to yourself have exampleship_hyd.

greetings

Jolie

aanker 02-18-15 06:57 PM

Found it. I'd like to participate please. I'm a little rusty however I have some good notes that might blow the cobwebs out.

I started simple 'modding' by following this old topic from Mush Martin back in 'the day':
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=128825

It helped me learn quite a few things and may help others.

edit:
I have used S3D for editing *.sim & *.dat files a little but am lost beyond that. I 'shiver me timbers' even thinking about nodes but do want to learn more about this powerful tool.

Jeff-Groves 02-18-15 07:08 PM

How detailed on subjects do you want to get?
What areas do you want info on?
3d subjects, import/export, S3D how to, or just text editing files?
Easy subjects or advanced?
:03:

merc4ulfate 02-18-15 09:49 PM

What I am looking to do is add random ambient sounds through the hydrophone when listening manually. There is only one ambient sound but I want to make it longer and add some sounds to it or make it random so that more than one file could be brought up if your listening manually.

Admiral Halsey 02-18-15 10:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aanker (Post 2289062)
Found it. I'd like to participate please. I'm a little rusty however I have some good notes that might blow the cobwebs out.

I started simple 'modding' by following this old topic from Mush Martin back in 'the day':
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=128825

It helped me learn quite a few things and may help others.

edit:
I have used S3D for editing *.sim & *.dat files a little but am lost beyond that. I 'shiver me timbers' even thinking about nodes but do want to learn more about this powerful tool.

Awesome and also thinks for the link.(note to self PM Mush and see if we can use anything that still works in guide.)

Also I really need to download S3D and start messing with it. Been wanting to adjust the deck gun strength ever so slightly for ages on pretty much every mod. Aiming to have it take 10 hits max to sink a ship if you get them all under the water line.

pdiddy 03-03-15 09:04 AM

I'd like to change two defaults for torpedo settings:

1. Speed defaults to "High"
2. Depth defaults to "6 feet"

Anybody know where to change this? I'm thinking it must be an easy fix. Menu settings?

Admiral Halsey 03-03-15 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pdiddy (Post 2293244)
I'd like to change two defaults for torpedo settings:

1. Speed defaults to "High"
2. Depth defaults to "6 feet"

Anybody know where to change this? I'm thinking it must be an easy fix. Menu settings?

Think speed is in the DAT files for them. Depth default might be as well.

Klaus 03-03-15 03:33 PM

for torpedo speed and depht enter in library> torpedo/torpedoes_us.sim with s3d :salute:

Jeff-Groves 03-03-15 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Admiral Halsey (Post 2289118)
note to self PM Mush and see if we can use anything that still works in guide.

I'm sure he'd be tickled pink to know he's still helping other Modders.
:up:

pdiddy 03-03-15 11:28 PM

Admiral, Klaus,

Many thanks!

I opened torpedoes_us.sim with S3D. How do you know which torpedoes are which? (all are amun_torpedo_xxx or similar.)

I'm not sure that is the file I'm looking for though. I'm just trying to get the Mk 14 to default to high speed and 6 ft depth (the settings on the left torpedo panel in any of the scope views or attack map.) I almost never shoot them at low speed so would just like the default to be set to high instead of having to change it every time. The 10 foot depth default is ok, but 6 is better! (Reading "Clear the Bridge" by O'Kane, and finding that he (and I suspect most others) pretty much always set depth to 6' unless choppy seas warranted deeper, in which case he would set them all the way down to 10!)

I'm liking this thread, if for nothing else, for enabling people like me to ask dumb questions!

les green01 03-07-15 04:39 PM

I did figure out how to use the same name in campaign so I wouldn't have to type it over again everytime I start a new one and change the start date and sub avaibilty date

Jeff-Groves 03-07-15 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pdiddy (Post 2293568)
I opened torpedoes_us.sim with S3D. How do you know which torpedoes are which? !)

Open the torpedoes_us.dat and get the ID of the torpedo.
Doing a search in the .sim then will point you to it.
(torpedo 3, node 6, in the sim is the one you want.)