SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   Sub & Naval Discussions: World Naval News, Books, & Films (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=186)
-   -   Kilo class submarine (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=252707)

Kapitan 05-15-22 11:45 PM

Kilo class submarine

I have toyed with doing this one for a while given the current situation between Russia and Ukraine hence why I have focused on some other subjects.

But I figured there is a lot to tell with this submarine and after sitting on the desktop for a few weeks I decided to publish it.

I have included in the article some detailed information about the Sonar system as well as pictures of the Alrosa Pump jet in its broken down stages during a refit, so you will get to see the rotor and stators.

Thoughts and comments always welcome

Enjoy :Kaleun_Salute:

https://www.navygeneralboard.com/pro...he-kilo-class/

Catfish 05-16-22 05:02 AM

Nice article once more, by you. Especially interesting in context to the five (?) Kilos being deployed in the black sea right now.
They are certainly targeting Ukraine, but maybe they left harbour because a) the destruction of surface ships by Neptun missiles and drones, and b) being in reach of the blue spear system supposedly to be delivered from Israel..:hmmm:

I wonder how Ukraine could detect them now, take it they will snorkel at night only.

Skybird 05-16-22 05:26 AM

Who says it is only the Ukraine detecting them? :hmmm: Many more powers are lurking in the shadows... :D

Nice article, Kap, and nice oictures. Never saw them in such detail before. And why do these Russian subs always look so rotten even when still being in service?

You are a Brit, arent you? How comes you served on a Polish boat? Some exchange training program?

Commander Wallace 05-16-22 07:03 AM

Excellent article Blair, as usual. :Kaleun_Thumbs_Up:

Diesel electric submarines still have a role to play.

mapuc 05-16-22 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Commander Wallace (Post 2808858)

The New Swedish Sub A26 has 3 diesel and 3 Stirling engines (2 diesel and 2 Stirling engines)

Markus

Commander Wallace 05-16-22 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mapuc (Post 2808871)
The New Swedish Sub A26 has 3 diesel and 3 Stirling engines (2 diesel and 2 Stirling engines)

Markus

Awesome, Markus. :up:

I will look it up and it's specs but it's hardly a surprise. The Swedes have excellent military industries. Saab Is at the forefront, especially in the aerospace industries.

Kapitan 05-16-22 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Catfish (Post 2808838)
Nice article once more, by you. Especially interesting in context to the five (?) Kilos being deployed in the black sea right now.
They are certainly targeting Ukraine, but maybe they left harbour because a) the destruction of surface ships by Neptun missiles and drones, and b) being in reach of the blue spear system supposedly to be delivered from Israel..:hmmm:

I wonder how Ukraine could detect them now, take it they will snorkel at night only.

Thanks Catfish, there are currently 7 kilos in the Black sea fleet 6 are active B871 Arosa the lone project 877V is currently in maintenance.

B871 Alrosa, B261 Novorossiysk, B271 Kolpino, B268 Vilikiy Novgorad, B262 Starry Oskol, B265 Krasnodar, B237 Rostov on don

Sevastopol is within range of Ukrainian forces for sure so bringing them back to some where like Novorossiysk would be a good move.

So far only Moskva has been sunk by Neptun the others were damaged by other means, we also know the Makarov is undamaged and currently sailing.

But leaving port could also be a sign they are preparing to fire kalibr and klub missiles which wouldn't be too far fetched as the 636.3 are able to do this.

Don't forget there's no threat to them when at sea so why not use the assets in that environment.

Skybird 05-16-22 08:46 AM

^ Also known as "Blekinge class". 2 units under construction. No doubt these boats will be awesomely silent. But the programme is behind timetable, and costs are rising. The outstanding featuzre will be the capability to launch drones and fire weapons from them, so that the submarine itself remains fully stealthed even when firing.

Kapitan 05-16-22 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skybird (Post 2808840)
Who says it is only the Ukraine detecting them? :hmmm: Many more powers are lurking in the shadows... :D

Nice article, Kap, and nice oictures. Never saw them in such detail before. And why do these Russian subs always look so rotten even when still being in service?

You are a Brit, arent you? How comes you served on a Polish boat? Some exchange training program?

Thanks Skybird

You want to see ours when they come into dry dock after a few years a float, the scum ring and growth is normal, more so in the salty cool waters of the Baltic and Northern areas, the Black sea has a high salinity rate as well so corrosion is also a lot worse in these areas.

I am a Brit yes I currently live in Canada, my day job back then was logistics transport and supply chain I would conduct audits put in place all the supply chain systems and what not and during an exercise I was asked to go on the Orzel and take a look at the systems they employ in their logistics, how they handle food fuels munitions etc.

Its quite a common thing been on various ships and subs from various navies doing the same thing, basically its there to oversee the employment of procedures and to see if there is a more efficient and effective way.

mapuc 05-16-22 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Commander Wallace (Post 2808872)
Awesome, Markus. :up:

I will look it up and it's specs but it's hardly a surprise. The Swedes have excellent military industries. Saab Is at the forefront, especially in the aerospace industries.

Here's Page about the sub from FMV-Defence Material Office

https://www.fmv.se/projekt/ubat-a26/

Markus

Kapitan 05-16-22 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Commander Wallace (Post 2808858)

Thanks CW they certainly do although I think in future we will be moving more towards the AIP set up

Kapitan 05-16-22 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mapuc (Post 2808871)

Markus

Think this might be a typo but the latest A26 has a very much updated stirling engine one that will be quieter than the current fit in the Gotland class.

The Gotlands are nice boats ideally designed for the region they operate and while the Belkinge class is also a good boat Export wise I don't see them getting many orders outside the Baltic simply because its not really designed for blue water work like the Kilo Victoria or even the Type 212.

Commander Wallace 05-16-22 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kapitan (Post 2808879)
Thanks CW they certainly do although I think in future we will be moving more towards the AIP set up

That certainly seems to be the trend and has distinct advantages. Countries that can't afford or have no need for nuclear propulsion submarines can still field effective submarines with AIP propulsion systems. AIP can also be used in conjunction with diesel electric propulsion systems as well.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mapuc (Post 2808878)
Here's Page about the sub from FMV-Defence Material Office

https://www.fmv.se/projekt/ubat-a26/

Markus

Thanks for the information, Markus.

Kapitan 05-16-22 09:26 AM

Thats the current trend for Canada and conventional boats certainly have many advantages over the Nukes.

mapuc 05-16-22 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kapitan (Post 2808880)
Think this might be a typo but the latest A26 has a very much updated stirling engine one that will be quieter than the current fit in the Gotland class.

The Gotlands are nice boats ideally designed for the region they operate and while the Belkinge class is also a good boat Export wise I don't see them getting many orders outside the Baltic simply because its not really designed for blue water work like the Kilo Victoria or even the Type 212.

As it says in on the fmv homepage about A26.

Quote:

The A26 will be able to operate world-wide, but is optimized for shallow waters such as the Baltic Sea. In practice, this means that the A26 can carry out transit over larger seas and then have its area of ​​operation close to the coast.
Compared to the Kilo class which one of them is best ?

Or is it so you can't compare them since Kilo is build to operate in deep water like the Atlantic and the Swedish Sub A26 is build for operating near coast.

Markus