SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   Classic Subsims (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=173)
-   -   AOD war ending (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=249533)

John Pancoast 05-25-21 09:28 PM

AOD war ending

Been awhile since I did this in AOD. What a difference vs. the non-ending in SH3. :up:

Julhelm 05-29-21 05:13 AM

What does it look like?

John Pancoast 05-29-21 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Julhelm (Post 2750180)
What does it look like?

I'll see if I can get some pics/video later but it goes:

1. First you get the historical Doenitz radio message; "U-boat men, you have fought....." (paraphrasing)
2. Then you get a message ordering you to return to port/go to nearest port.
3. When you arrive at port, there is no usual crowd/band to greet you and the buildings are slightly damaged/no smoke from chimneys, etc. and the AOD newspaper screen appears with an end of war announcement/video clip.
4. Then a picture of the ocean appears that has another historical Doenitz quote about u-boat men's future and his photo fade into the middle of it.

John Pancoast 05-29-21 12:21 PM

Here's a short video of it. Notes:

1. It is in windows Movie Maker .wlmp format via dosbox.
2. It plays faster than it does in the game for some reason.
3. It doesn't show the first radio message of "My U-boat men! Six years of submarine warfare lie behind us. ....". For some reason I can't get it to show via video.

Randomizer 05-29-21 05:43 PM

I only made it to war's end once. It was in a Type VII 1944 career start and having sunk over 50,000 tons I got a Knight's Cross and a Type XXI appointment.

The war ended while outward bound on my first Type XXI patrol and I was quite impressed by the undocumented attention to detail for something that many Players may never actually see.

AOD still rocks.

-C

John Pancoast 05-29-21 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Randomizer (Post 2750303)
I only made it to war's end once. It was in a Type VII 1944 career start and having sunk over 50,000 tons I got a Knight's Cross and a Type XXI appointment.

The war ended while outward bound on my first Type XXI patrol and I was quite impressed by the undocumented attention to detail for something that many Players may never actually see.

AOD still rocks.

-C

:up: I've been thinking of copying the AOD pre-patrol messages that are actually useful information, tips, etc. and use them to replace the "world news that no u-boat skipper would have had" (plus it contributes nothing to the actual patrol) in SH3 Commander's career patrol loading screen.
But being summer my motivation is lacking. :) Maybe come winter.

Silent Otto 12-10-21 05:40 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is Donitz final msg: