SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=202)
-   -   Cannot run Silent Hunter 4 (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=246103)

Tigershark 07-29-20 02:19 PM

Cannot run Silent Hunter 4

I have Silent Hunter 4 Wolves of the Pacific,Silent Hunter 4 Wolves of the Pacific U Boat Missions(both brought from Steam) & also Silent Hunter 4 Wolves of the Pacific on a Ubisoft disc.
Each time I try to play any of these games all I see is "An administrator has blocked you from running this app"

I have verified the games,uninstalled & re-installed them and still only get the "An administrator has blocked you from running this app" message box.

Now, I am not brilliant when it comes to computers,more like install a game,then play it, so if anybody can help a not to bright computer user I would really appreciate any & all help,advice & suggestions.

Looking forward to some,hopefully, help with this.
Thanks

KaleunMarco 07-29-20 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tigershark (Post 2686009)
I have Silent Hunter 4 Wolves of the Pacific,Silent Hunter 4 Wolves of the Pacific U Boat Missions(both brought from Steam) & also Silent Hunter 4 Wolves of the Pacific on a Ubisoft disc.
Each time I try to play any of these games all I see is "An administrator has blocked you from running this app"

I have verified the games,uninstalled & re-installed them and still only get the "An administrator has blocked you from running this app" message box.

Now, I am not brilliant when it comes to computers,more like install a game,then play it, so if anybody can help a not to bright computer user I would really appreciate any & all help,advice & suggestions.

Looking forward to some,hopefully, help with this.
Thanks

welcome to subsim.

you have run into problems that many before you have experienced. however, you will have to do some admin things to get SH4 to run.

first, if you installed SH4 into the default Win10 folder of ProgramFiles, de-install it and re-install it to a different folder off the root. for example, many of us install to C:\Ubisoft.

next, after you install, browse to the folder and find SH4.exe
right click and choose Properties.
Uncheck Read-only
Click on Compatibility tab.
Check Run as Administrator.
Click on Change DPI Settings Button
At the bottom, check the Override High DPI Settings
Click OK.
Click Apply, then Click OK.
SH4 should launch.

as a newbie, you should read TheBerbsters' Guide:
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...18#post2297818

Good luck.
:Kaleun_Salute:

Aktungbby 07-29-20 04:57 PM

welcome aboard!

Tigershark!:Kaleun_Salute:

Tigershark 07-30-20 01:20 AM

Thank you KaleunMarco

Quote:

Originally Posted by KaleunMarco (Post 2686035)
welcome to subsim.

you have run into problems that many before you have experienced. however, you will have to do some admin things to get SH4 to run.

first, if you installed SH4 into the default Win10 folder of ProgramFiles, de-install it and re-install it to a different folder off the root. for example, many of us install to C:\Ubisoft.

Uncheck Read-only
Click OK.
SH4 should launch.

Good luck.

Thank you KaleunMarco
I will do as you advised & hopefully learn as I go along.

Col7777 07-30-20 01:53 AM

I rarely use the TC in anything above 128 but last night I did on a long journey, when I went back to normal time my watch crew were all like zombies, the relieve the watch mustn't have took place.

Col.

KaleunMarco 07-30-20 08:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Col7777 (Post 2686075)
I rarely use the TC in anything above 128 but last night I did on a long journey, when I went back to normal time my watch crew were all like zombies, the relieve the watch mustn't have took place.

Col.

That’s odd. The only way that can happen is if you went to high TC while your crew was at Battle Stations.

Col7777 07-30-20 10:44 AM

Hi Marco, No I wasn't in any battle just a long journey, it was funny seeing them, they were all stood with their arms out stretched with their eyes closed.

Col.

Sniper450 03-06-21 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KaleunMarco (Post 2686035)
welcome to subsim.

Uncheck Read-only
Click OK.
SH4 should launch.

Good luck.

Just recently re-installed sh4 and have followed the above directions but still get the message an admin has blocked me from running this app. Please advise!

edit: using w10 and I am listed as the admin on my computer

propbeanie 03-06-21 12:21 PM

On that SH4.exe "properties" page that KaleunMarco describes, have you ticked the "Disable full screen optimizations"? If not, try that. Depending upon the computer, video card and screen resolution, that can get in the way, with Windows trying to "optimize" the old-tech DirectX v9 game...

Sniper450 03-06-21 12:26 PM

UPDATE: it didn't make a difference. I still get the same admin blocking message. I used to be able to run this on this same computer so I am really confused as to why its having issues now.

I will give it a go.

Mad Mardigan 03-06-21 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sniper450 (Post 2734382)
UPDATE: it didn't make a difference. I still get the same admin blocking message. I used to be able to run this on this same computer so I am really confused as to why its having issues now.

I will give it a go.

Just out of dumb curiosity... you ain't by chance signed into as a guest user or such... iirc being signed into the computer that way, could also hog tie you in not being able to do things... also.

Only 1's I know of that seriously go for admin blocking are companies & those that seriously lock down on any 1 else getting on their computers...

which is NOT to say a bad thing, at all.

M. M.

Sniper450 03-06-21 04:46 PM

I will check when I get back to my laptop. I do know I’m the admin for it but I may be signed out.

Sniper450 03-06-21 06:29 PM

I was signed as admin. :wah:

Sniper450 03-06-21 07:44 PM

SUCCESS!!!! ...and stupid me...i forgot to run LAA and now it seems to be okay! Not sure why that makes a difference but I am not complaining!!

Mad Mardigan 03-07-21 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sniper450 (Post 2734515)
SUCCESS!!!! ...and stupid me...i forgot to run LAA and now it seems to be okay! Not sure why that makes a difference but I am not complaining!!

Glad was able to get it going... :Kaleun_Salute:

M. M.