SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   SH5 Mods Workshop (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=249)
-   -   [REL]The Wolves of Steel - SH5 Megamod (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=210703)

Fifi 10-12-18 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vdr1981 (Post 2572257)
Of course...Just click your analog clock somewhere inside these marked zones and the menu will appear. :yep: Click point in the middle doesn't work from some reason...

https://i.postimg.cc/gkHLcYbr/SH5-Im...2-15-53-27.jpg

Many thanks for this information, and congrats for TWOS new version!!
Will download as soon as back in Lorient :Kaleun_Cheers:

gap 10-12-18 01:11 PM

Well done on the 2.2.8 release Vecko :up:

I have been doing some more research on the topic of ensigns, and I have finally found what I was looking for:

https://uboat.net/media/allies/merch...amin_smith.jpg

This is a picture of a Liberty ship that uboat.net and wrecksite.eu report as SS Benjamin Smith. If this identity is correct, the picture has been taken sometime between November 1942, when the ship was completed, and 23 Jan 1943, when she was sunk by U-175 along the coast of West Africa. Judging by the wake she is clearly that she is underway, and definitely she wears the US flag at the stern flagstaff. Just to say confirm that your recent changes to the flag position are all but inaccurate :yep:

Cybermat47 10-12-18 05:11 PM

Awesome update, thanks mate :Kaleun_Thumbs_Up:

BTW, you might want to change the Western Approaches flotilla to the 7th. The 6th didn’t exist until July 1941, and was stationed at Danzig until February 1942. The 7th Flotilla was at Kiel and St. Nazaire in March - December 1941.

https://uboat.net/flotillas/6flo.htm

https://uboat.net/flotillas/7flo.htm

To save you some time, here's the relevant campaign.tsr file with the 6th replaced by the 7th. If you don’t want to use it, I’ll just keep it up as a seperate mod :salute:

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/down...o=file&id=5391

EDIT: Also, here's a small mod to make the torpedo preheat ability free (which I think is more realistic, as torpedo preheating was standard practice). Feel free to include it in the next update if you want.

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/down...o=file&id=5390

Hope these help you mate, keep up the awesome work! I’m planning to donate when I have some more money :Kaleun_Salute:

ArnoldR 10-12-18 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gap (Post 2572283)
Well done on the 2.2.8 release Vecko :up:

I have been doing some more research on the topic of ensigns, and I have finally found what I was looking for:

https://uboat.net/media/allies/merch...amin_smith.jpg

This is a picture of a Liberty ship that uboat.net and wrecksite.eu report as SS Benjamin Smith. If this identity is correct, the picture has been taken sometime between November 1942, when the ship was completed, and 23 Jan 1943, when she was sunk by U-175 along the coast of West Africa. Judging by the wake she is clearly that she is underway, and definitely she wears the US flag at the stern flagstaff. Just to say confirm that your recent changes to the flag position are all but inaccurate :yep:

It's a general rule that ships have their flag at stern when anchored, or leaving/entering harbours. But when they are in high seas, they put the flag at the top of a mast. On your picture, we clearly see that the ship is near land, so probably leaving/entering harbour, or even doing trials (from the waterline, we can deduce that the ship is not carrrying any cargo). Moreover, during war and sailing into convoys, the merchant ships have no reason to raise a flag in high seas, except if they are from neutral countries.

Torpedo 10-13-18 04:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ashikaga (Post 2572266)
Epic Vecko!!!

Will install it when I have finished Weserubung.

[question]
where can I change the depth setting for crash dive?

I want it to go to 75 meters or less and not 150. That gives me some control since now I have to click like crazy on the depth meter every time I crash dive due to aircraft.

Hi Ashikaga!!!
You can change the value of the crash dive like this:
you have to change the value "150" in the file "NSS_Uboat7a.cfg" and so for the files .cfg of all the other uboot
NSS_Uboat7b.cfg
NSS_Uboat7c.cfg
NSS_Uboat7c41.cfg
NSS_Uboat7c41F.cfg

[Properties]
PeriscopeDepth = 12
SnorkelDepth = 14
CrashDepth = 150 changes this value to what you want
MaxDepth = 180
DiveDepth = 300
SurfaceDepth = 5
TorpLaunchMaxDepth = 20
StormConditions = 11.0.4; max wind speed [m / s], max rain intensity [0.1]

I believe you can make this change at any time in your career. I've tried it now and the modification works without problems.

Torpedo:Kaleun_Cheers:

Cybermat47 10-13-18 05:09 AM

Okay, so...

I spend the better part of an hour (real time) stalking a convoy, after a day of gameplay. I'm about to attack, so I press the "preheat torpedoes" button. Nothing happens. I walk all the way down to the torpedo room, with a big fat enemy convoy a mere 5km away from me, and tell the torpedo officer right to his face to preheat the torpedo.

This is what I get:

https://i.imgur.com/bZFHlje.jpg

He's literally disobeying my orders because he's not happy enough :k_confused:

Vecko, is it possible to just get rid of this stupid "gameplay mechanic" in the next version of TWoS? It's far too arcadey to be in a simulation. I've never heard of a direct order being disobeyed because someone was feeling a bit sad after ten days at sea.

EDIT: Here we are, a file that removes the silly morale costs from the crew abilities (this file also includes the small mod to make it free to unlock the torpedo preheat ability): http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/down...o=file&id=5392

As always, feel free to include it with any future updates. I’m happy to help in any way :salute:

The file is not save-game compatible.

gap 10-13-18 05:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ArnoldR (Post 2572313)
It's a general rule that ships have their flag at stern when anchored, or leaving/entering harbours. But when they are in high seas, they put the flag at the top of a mast. On your picture, we clearly see that the ship is near land, so probably leaving/entering harbour, or even doing trials (from the waterline, we can deduce that the ship is not carrrying any cargo). Moreover, during war and sailing into convoys, the merchant ships have no reason to raise a flag in high seas, except if they are from neutral countries.

Good remark. In that case it might be more correct for vessels marked as "coastal" (type 104), that are usually found in the territorial waters of each country, to have their ensigns hoisted to the topmast, and for all other ship types, that we usually chase in open seas, not to have any ensign at all.
On the other hand, kendras, a fellow subsim member mostly active in the SHIII modding subforum, showed to me that loadouts (as used for aircraft) are also possible for ships. If we could move the flag bone from its (fixed) position on each unit to a dummy library object, and create in its place several equipment bones in the appropriate positions, we could then create different flag (/ navigation lights?) configurations to choose from in campaign files: for neutral ships or ships owned by a belligerent country, for moored vessels, or for ones that are sailing in home waters or in open seas. :hmm2:

gap 10-13-18 06:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cybermat47 (Post 2572335)
Vecko, is it possible to just get rid of this stupid "gameplay mechanic" in the next version of TWoS? It's far too arcadey to be in a simulation. I've never heard of a direct order being disobeyed because someone was feeling a bit sad after ten days at sea.

As I see it, an officer / sailor who is too tired / depressed for accomplishing an order, would possibly perform the related task poorly, but in no case he would refuse to accomplish that order if he doesn't want to be court-martialed.
In my opinion, keep the morale system as it is, or, if possible, adjust the efficiency of crew members and officers when their morale is low, but get rid of that "cannot comply" answer: in any case, better a little lie or a subtle allusion to the poor conditions of the crew, than the open unsubordination experienced by Capt. Cybermat47 :03:

Fifi 10-13-18 06:29 AM

Vecko, few more questions about the TWOS generic patcher :oops:

- Is there a raison why those 2 lignes are deactivated in TWOS generic patcher:

« Allows carriers to launch aircrafts when they have contact detected and airbases to launch aircrafts at contacts »

« Units visual sensor affected by avalaible light »

Do they give CTD when activated?
Can i activate them safely?

Just asking because they seems quite interesting for the game :yep:

vdr1981 10-13-18 06:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fifi (Post 2572350)
Vecko, few more questions about the TWOS generic patcher :oops:

- Is there a raison why those 2 lignes are deactivated in TWOS generic patcher:

« Allows carriers to launch aircrafts when they have contact detected and airbases to launch aircrafts at contacts »

Do they give CTD when activated?
Can i activate them safely?

Just asking because they seems quite interesting for the game :yep:

Yes...

Too much aircrafts and possible gamesave corruption in certain situations. Also, when AC spawns an aircraft in your proximity, it will just fall down ?!. If I'm not mistaken, AC will still send airplanes (just like normal airbases) even without this patch enabled...

AI units are too "blind" in sunset/sunrise and especially during the night. It's much better without this patch IMO.

vdr1981 10-13-18 07:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cybermat47 (Post 2572335)

Vecko, is it possible to just get rid of this stupid "gameplay mechanic" in the next version of TWoS?

Cannot comply...Sir! :D

Seriously, I agree with Gap about this one. It's all mater of perspective and if managed regularly, crew moral shouldn't be problem at all in 20-30 days patrol. I shell review moral degradation values for various crew states and probably edit that "cannot comply" answer but to remove it completely, I don't think so.

Ashikaga 10-13-18 07:18 AM

Thank you Torpedo! Big help!!

About the crew refusing an order with no morale. Could it be tweaked so that when you ask a preheat the chance of a dud or early detonation goes up when being asked while on low to no morale?

About modding. I would like to change the flak sound of my 2cm to the original WWII sound. Found a good sound file I can change to .ogg format but how would I go about that? The rate of fire probably also should go down a tad due to the rate of fire of the original 2cm flak.

Ashikaga

Cybermat47 10-13-18 07:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vdr1981 (Post 2572354)
Cannot comply...Sir! :D

Seriously, I agree with Gap about this one. It's all mater of perspective and if managed regularly, crew moral shouldn't be problem at all in 20-30 days patrol. I shell review moral degradation values for various crew states and probably edit that "cannot comply" answer but to remove it completely, I don't think so.

No worries. I’ll keep the file up as a stand-alone mod for anyone who wants to use it :Kaleun_Salute:

fitzcarraldo 10-13-18 07:29 AM

@ Cybermat: I enabled your little mod for abilities and it doesn´t work. I have grey preheated torpedoes options in the torpedoman menu. I apply the mod and resume my current campaign (HT, December 1941). Do I need to apply it in campaign start?

Many thanks for the work. Only lacks a line in the menu: "I only obbey orders from Mein Führer", and a menu for launch the sailor to the sea. :Kaleun_Cheers:

Best regards.

Fitzcarraldo :Kaleun_Salute:

vdr1981 10-13-18 07:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cybermat47 (Post 2572357)
No worries. I’ll keep the file up as a stand-alone mod for anyone who wants to use it :Kaleun_Salute:

:up::salute:

Quote:

Originally Posted by fitzcarraldo (Post 2572358)

Many thanks for the work. Only lacks a line in the menu: "I only obbey orders from Mein Führer", and a menu for launch the sailor to the sea. :Kaleun_Cheers:

That would be a proper easter egg.:D