SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   Silent Hunter III (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=182)
-   -   Tell us what you are upto in your current campaign (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=151090)

Herr-Berbunch 07-01-10 07:39 PM

January '41, patrol out of St Naz to some nondescript BE to no avail. Tried Rockall - zip. Came back down the W coast of Ireland and was running out of patience, I'd come across a very large convoy but hit diddly with five eels before sitting at 120m to long to catch up. I thought I'd tip-toe toward Bristol.

My reward, a meagre 1930 GRT merchant and a paultry 2599 GRT mail/liner, a tremendous loss of 119/130 souls for little tonnage. Eager to get back and start another patrol, one that was more fruitful I headed rapidly back to St N when I came across two tankers and a large cargo in good old BF16, but only two torpedoes left, and one of those was stored externally at the stern!

38 Tons of wreckage later, mostly thanks to the deck gun (only 12 rounds of HE left) with a little help from the flak gun and one torpedo that did actually work.

So that takes my tonnage to around 53k for this career :up: which means I'm getting better, woo hoo!

Goodnight all, this crew needs it's sleep :zzz:

Gerald 07-01-10 10:48 PM

Early September 1942!

Location,near by Key West,my intention is to go up in the Gulf of Mexico,so far 18.000 BRT,
and 2 Catalina,the sea is rough and 10-15 m/s the weather condition have never be under 7 m/s after I leaving Lorient (well when I start 4 m/s), only singel ship along the trip...soo far,but this is OK! I prefer sometimes only singel ship,but now we are talking about some port raids and shallow waters,I prefer deep water in most time....but I need som fear too..:yep:

:lurk:

Paul Riley 07-02-10 03:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vendor (Post 1433232)
Location,near by Key West,my intention is to go up in the Gulf of Mexico,so far 18.000 BRT,
and 2 Catalina,the sea is rough and 10-15 m/s the weather condition have never be under 7 m/s after I leaving Lorient (well when I start 4 m/s), only singel ship along the trip...soo far,but this is OK! I prefer sometimes only singel ship,but now we are talking about some port raids and shallow waters,I prefer deep water in most time....but I need som fear too..:yep:

:lurk:

Sometimes the storms seem to last forever,make sure next time you bring some sea sickness pills with you :nope:

Good luck on your patrol!

Gerald 07-02-10 03:25 AM

Thank you mate!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Riley (Post 1433334)
Sometimes the storms seem to last forever,make sure next time you bring some sea sickness pills with you :nope:

Good luck on your patrol!

sickness pills,what a ******** is this? :haha:

Note: Be care about your "new mission"

Paul Riley 07-02-10 03:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vendor (Post 1433348)

For when the waves are rolling all over the place,you know,to stop you puking overboard? :O:

Paul Riley 07-02-10 03:49 AM

To be used in seas above 10 mps

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vendor (Post 1433348)

For when the waves are rolling all over the place,the pills stop you puking overboard when you are about to engage a ship :nope::D

http://www.826valencia.org/store/img...se/tablets.jpg

Snestorm 07-02-10 03:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Riley (Post 1433359)
For when the waves are rolling all over the place,you know,to stop you puking overboard? :O:

Vikings don't do such things.

Paul Riley 07-02-10 03:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snestorm (Post 1433364)
Vikings don't do such things.

Ahh,now I get it :arrgh!:
Well,just keep them to one side,you may need them when the beer barrels start dropping on yer conning tower!

aj906 07-02-10 04:20 AM

November 1942

I've been patrolling at the entrance to the North Channel (not fun! but orders are orders) and hit upon a very large convoy. Fire off a salvo of four eels from c.2,000m. All duds. sneak away to reload and plot an intercept closer to the inlet of the Channel. Surfaced, ran at flank, over-ran the convoy, turned in to an intercept course and found then attacked the convoy. Four more eels - all duds. Fired off several choice profanities. Snuck out and repeated the procedure. Chased ahead again and got into a firing position then suddenly wondered what the depth under the keel would be. Answer: slightly less than stuff all. Oh well, nothing for it as the convoy is going to sail over me anyway. Four more eels - two duds. Medium tanker blew up immediately, whaling ship hit in what I'm assuming the engine room and lost propolsion. Hid under the whaler till the neighbours quitened down and took their firecrackers home then slid off back out into deeper water having fired another dud and live eel to finish off the whaler from my stern tubes. In all 14 eels fired, three hits and c.20K.

While I was happy to get away with thrice penetrating the destroyer screen and sinking a tanker and whaler, I was not impressed at the failure rate of the torps. They were TII set to impact in calm weather. Must say, I had a LOT of luck all things considered. Both the live eels were aimed at the whaler but I stuffed the calculations on the second eel and it slid behind the whaler to hit the tanker. So that was a bonus.

Upon return to Lorient I put in for a transfer to the Med. If life has to suck then it may as well suck in the warmer climes, surrounded by beautiful (and hopefully more accomodating than the French) women...!

Paul Riley 07-02-10 04:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aj906 (Post 1433386)
November 1942

I've been patrolling at the entrance to the North Channel (not fun! but orders are orders) and hit upon a very large convoy. Fire off a salvo of four eels from c.2,000m. All duds. sneak away to reload and plot an intercept closer to the inlet of the Channel. Surfaced, ran at flank, over-ran the convoy, turned in to an intercept course and found then attacked the convoy. Four more eels - all duds. Fired off several choice profanities. Snuck out and repeated the procedure. Chased ahead again and got into a firing position then suddenly wondered what the depth under the keel would be. Answer: slightly less than stuff all. Oh well, nothing for it as the convoy is going to sail over me anyway. Four more eels - two duds. Medium tanker blew up immediately, whaling ship hit in what I'm assuming the engine room and lost propolsion. Hid under the whaler till the neighbours quitened down and took their firecrackers home then slid off back out into deeper water having fired another dud and live eel to finish off the whaler from my stern tubes. In all 14 eels fired, three hits and c.20K.

While I was happy to get away with thrice penetrating the destroyer screen and sinking a tanker and whaler, I was not impressed at the failure rate of the torps. They were TII set to impact in calm weather. Must say, I had a LOT of luck all things considered. Both the live eels were aimed at the whaler but I stuffed the calculations on the second eel and it slid behind the whaler to hit the tanker. So that was a bonus.

Upon return to Lorient I put in for a transfer to the Med. If life has to suck then it may as well suck in the warmer climes, surrounded by beautiful (and hopefully more accomodating than the French) women...!

Unbelievable! you exeperiencing 8 duds was it? I wonder if this was simply VERY bad luck or some other factor involved here,like a bug.
I think the worst dud rate I ever had in any one patrol was 2 duds,and even they may have bounced off the keel of the ship,i'll never truly know as I play with the event camera off.
Hard luck there mate :o

aj906 07-02-10 04:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Riley (Post 1433390)
Unbelievable! you exeperiencing 8 duds was it? I wonder if this was simply VERY bad luck or some other factor involved here,like a bug.
I think the worst dud rate I ever had in any one patrol was 2 duds,and even they may have bounced off the keel of the ship,i'll never truly know as I play with the event camera off.
Hard luck there mate :o

I always set the depth to draft less 2 metres to avoid that possibility or slight surge from any swells... All torps were fired to 'cross the T' so to speak so high angle impacts and ricochets were not an issue... The thing is, this career started in August '39 and I think from 3.9.39 - 18.11.42 I've had three duds... two on magnetic pistols in '39. So it's just fate playing catch up, I guess.

It's true what they say, there are times the Gods are with you and then there are times they sit back on their mountain top p!ss!ing with laughter at all the sh!t you're in. So if anyone needs me, I'm off to slaughter some goats and worship me some (soon to be disgraced) virgins before my next patrol:salute:

Paul Riley 07-02-10 04:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aj906 (Post 1433394)
I always set the depth to draft less 2 metres to avoid that possibility or slight surge from any swells... All torps were fired to 'cross the T' so to speak so high angle impacts and ricochets were not an issue... The thing is, this career started in August '39 and I think from 3.9.39 - 18.11.42 I've had three duds... two on magnetic pistols in '39. So it's just fate playing catch up, I guess.

It's true what they say, there are times the Gods are with you and then there are times they sit back on their mountain top p!ss!ing with laughter at all the sh!t you're in. So if anyone needs me, I'm off to slaughter some goats and worship me some (soon to be disgraced) virgins before my next patrol:salute:

Two pieces of advice you may be interested in -
1: Always use impact pistol if possible,will eliminate most problems including premature detonations
2: You may fare better including the laughing devil on your tower,get some payback on them p##s taking gods! :rock:

RegioSommergibile 07-02-10 03:44 PM

I am now on the 5th of January 1940 heading to my assigned patrol zone in BF29, way off Cornwall. Starting from Wilhelmshaven, Kaleun Lothar Allgau's Type VIIIB has travelled many hours along the Ostfriesen islands, the entered Dutch waters and passed in front of a Dutch port (I am using GWX and just 55% realism, with automatic targeting, yes I'm noob...). At night, I gave a casual look and to my surprise there was a Large Merchant flying French flag docked. I silently positioned myself and with two eels I literally snapped it in two. The Royal Dutch Navy coastal batteries took a couple of shots at me, but they did no harm to me. I continued and sank, in French coastal waters, an armed trawler with a well placed eel. It was most curious as it hit the screws and the power was such that it made a big leap forward and immedialtely started sinking. Along the Channel I came across a British Coastal freghter and this also went to say hello to Neptune with 3 torpedoes (one hit and two miss) followed by some cannon work.

Then, one more (and last aft) eel to greet a Coastal Freighter showing French flag off Cherbourg. I sneaked in the port there and sank with my rear tubes something I can't remember at the moment.

My men whooped and jumped in joy, but I said sternly to them to be quiet and keep the Boot on course as we had to go away avoiding Grenouilles patrols. We went on uneventfully until we were 300 miles from our patrol zone, down to a single torpedo in my rear tubes. Not good. I kept thinking: what if we get into trouble?

A call from the watch officer makes Kaleun Allgau jump to the bridge and press his eyes on the binoculars. And surely enough, at starboard, he seel lots, lots lots of smoke trails and a DD that spotted das Boot already. Flinging himself down the ladder the commander shouts "Seerohrtiefe, SOFORT LEUTE!!" (Periscope depth, NOW PEOPLE!) After some frantic moments das Boot goes to periscope depth and the sonarman comes up with the dreaded warning "Kriegschiff kommt naher"

Ow ow ow ow!!!:timeout: TAUCHEN!!! I don't want it to see my periscope or hear me. We went down to 80 metres, silent running naturally on, and we could hear the wasserbomben landing not too far. I let the destroyer go over me, meanwhile slowly surfacing, and then went to periscope depth, raised the seerohr praying that the seamen on board became suddely and inexplicably blind, and surely enough he was neatly lined up heading away from me for a bow shot at 1400 metres.

Then real life kicked in as mobile phone started ringing, and afterwards dinner was ready. :stare: I am resuming now, let' see if I can send that thing to keep company to Neptune as well. ;-)

Ah, one question: if I manage to evade and reach, say, Ireland, can I resupply at one of their ports?

frau kaleun 07-02-10 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RegioSommergibile (Post 1433898)
Ah, one question: if I manage to evade and reach, say, Ireland, can I resupply at one of their ports?

I don't think so.

If you go to the help screen in game (IIRC pressing F1 will take you there) I'm pretty sure you can check the list of available resupply ports, which vary depending on what date you're at in-game.

As far as I know the only resupply options in January 1940 involve either returning to a German port or heading south past Gibralter and meeting up with the Corrientes at Las Palmas in the Canary Islands. (I could be wrong but checking the options in-game as noted above will tell you for sure.)

It may be that you could resupply at an Italian base but that would mean risking the Gibraltar passage and if you're going that far you're probably better off heading for the Corrientes anyway.

Jimbuna 07-03-10 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RegioSommergibile (Post 1433898)

In a word....no.

You can only resupply from milchcows, ships or friendly ports.