SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   SH5 Mods Workshop (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=249)
-   -   [REL]The Wolves of Steel - SH5 Megamod (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=210703)

KevinY 01-07-19 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by THEBERBSTER (Post 2585228)
A Warm Welcome To The Subsim Community > KevinY
Subsim <> Make A Donation <> See The Benefits <> Support The Community
SH3 – 4 - 5 Tutorials > Downloads > Other Useful Information > See Links in My Signature Below

If you are using an older save game on a new TWoS version and not just an update then that would explain your ctd not just on your sound man but is likely to happen in other instances.
If you have installed the latest v2.2.9 TWoS then you need to start a New Career.

Thank you for the the warm welcome and quick response! I thought i had 2.2.x version already before, but maybe i didn't. Ah well, i guess reinstall is always going to include risks of corrupted savegame. Back to Klaipeda for me then :)

siege00 01-07-19 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kavil (Post 2585046)
Thank you guys for responding. Damn.. I am a fool. Found out generic patcher exe. It is different from TWoS - OptionsFileEditorViewer which i was vigorously searching the map color options... I opened the generic patcher exe and made changes. Could not save it though. :Kaleun_Salute:

What location do you have SH5 installed? Is it somewhere that permissions may be an issue, like in your Program Files directory? Have you tried running it as administrator? I didn't encounter the problem and my SH5 install is in C:\Ubisoft\Silent Hunter 5 (for example).

Kavil 01-07-19 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fitzcarraldo (Post 2585319)
Hi, Kavil:

- Search the Dynamic Environment 5 mod in SUBSIM.

- You will have an addon optional mod "DynEnv 2.9b Enhanced Visibility (High)"

- The mod has three folders. Delete all the folders and leave only the "Data\Env folder". This folder has a file "fogparameters.cfg". This file is the key.

Activate via JSGME.

You will have a Classic Hollywood underwater visibility.

Good luck!

Fitzcarraldo :Kaleun_Salute:

I will try it. TWoS gives warning on first post do not install any mod etc. Hope i do not broke the game by changing environment settings :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by siege00 (Post 2585393)
What location do you have SH5 installed? Is it somewhere that permissions may be an issue, like in your Program Files directory? Have you tried running it as administrator? I didn't encounter the problem and my SH5 install is in C:\Ubisoft\Silent Hunter 5 (for example).

I fixed it via opening editor with administrator rights . I got fancy colored map tools now. Thanks anyways.

fitzcarraldo 01-07-19 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kavil (Post 2585400)
I will try it. TWoS gives warning on first post do not install any mod etc. Hope i do not broke the game by changing environment settings :D

I fixed it via opening editor with administrator rights . I got fancy colored map tools now. Thanks anyways.

You can use it without problems.

Regards.

Fitzcarraldo :salute:

Tonci87 01-09-19 11:59 AM

So I started a new campaign and this time I am going for a more realistic loadout to give myself a greater challenge.

Historically the U-Boats were mostly fitted with electric torpedoes. The standard loadout the game gives you with almost exclusively steam torpedoes is actually highly unrealistic. While the steam torpedo was the main torpedo of the Kriegsmarine (surface units), it was rarely used by U-Boats, since the torpedoes wake would give away their position.

So now I have loaded only electric Torpedoes, except for the rear tube, and two in the front tubes. Only to be used if the situation requires a fast running torp.

Much more challenging to hit with those slow short range electric torpedoes :)

fire-fox 01-10-19 12:44 PM

well reading the eric topp book says that they only had few G7e's at the start of the war.
also pretty much every book I have seen also states that there were few electric torps available to use for the first half or so of the war.

Fifi 01-10-19 01:25 PM

Yes FireFox is right. 1940/41 more steam torp than electrics.

fitzcarraldo 01-10-19 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fifi (Post 2585834)
Yes FireFox is right. 1940/41 more steam torp than electrics.

Teddy Sühren, Topp, Clair Blair in his book, Doenitz in his memories,. all spoke about steam torpedoes as a common weapon in 39/40/41. The Happy Times Aces were all "steam hunters".

Regards.

Tonci87 01-10-19 05:09 PM

Yes, the steam torpedo was a very common torpedo, but at the start of the war the G7e was supposed to be the standard torpedo of the U-Boats. U-47 during its scapa flow raid was equipped with electric torpedoes only.

Due to the numerous problems that were discovered U boat captains very much distrusted the G7e, wich was also unpopular due to its initially very short range of maximum 3k and the constant maintenance required. So they started to rely of the Steam powered torpedoes, especially at night.
Later in the War with the introduction of the G7e T3 they were willing to use electric torps again, and the steam torpedoes were rarely used from then on.

The production numbers also suggest that the electric torpedoes were to be favored by the U-boats.

In 1939 Germany produced about 70 submarine launched torpedoes per month, mostly G7e. Until the end of 1941 this was raised to about 1550 per month, of that 1200 G7e

So I will use mostly electric torpedoes in the early days of the war, then I might start to favor steam torpedoes, until I switch back to electric ones for the late years.
The electric torpedoes could not be stored externally. So once I get the VIIB I will always have Steam Torps in my external reserves.

Fifi 01-11-19 02:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tonci87 (Post 2585866)
U-47 during its scapa flow raid was equipped with electric torpedoes only.

:hmmm: Are you sure?

italianmarine 01-11-19 03:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tonci87 (Post 2585866)
Yes, the steam torpedo was a very common torpedo, but at the start of the war the G7e was supposed to be the standard torpedo of the U-Boats. U-47 during its scapa flow raid was equipped with electric torpedoes only.

Due to the numerous problems that were discovered U boat captains very much distrusted the G7e, wich was also unpopular due to its initially very short range of maximum 3k and the constant maintenance required. So they started to rely of the Steam powered torpedoes, especially at night.
Later in the War with the introduction of the G7e T3 they were willing to use electric torps again, and the steam torpedoes were rarely used from then on.

The production numbers also suggest that the electric torpedoes were to be favored by the U-boats.

In 1939 Germany produced about 70 submarine launched torpedoes per month, mostly G7e. Until the end of 1941 this was raised to about 1550 per month, of that 1200 G7e

So I will use mostly electric torpedoes in the early days of the war, then I might start to favor steam torpedoes, until I switch back to electric ones for the late years.
The electric torpedoes could not be stored externally. So once I get the VIIB I will always have Steam Torps in my external reserves.

It is ok if you like it real realistic, but I am in July 1941 and all the electric torpedos I used were duds, even with a 90 degree hit angle. So I equip only the fast steamer at the moment.

fitzcarraldo 01-11-19 06:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fifi (Post 2585912)
:hmmm: Are you sure?

+ 1.

Sure?

Prien wrote in his menories about his fear of the "visible path of ithe torpedoes".

Regards.

Tonci87 01-11-19 09:27 AM

https://digitalcommons.georgiasouthe...99&context=etd

Page 10 lower half, also http://www.u47.org/english/u47_sca.asp
And on top of that the English found the remains of a G7e in Scapa Flow, which gave them the first clue that the Germans might have electric torpedoes. They were a well guarded secret until then.

Also U-47 had in December 1939 12 electric torpedoes on board. 8 of them malfunctioned. That is why U Boat captains were very skeptical when it came to electric torpedoes, and preferred the slightly more reliable steam torpedoes. That is until the T IIIe was introduced.

fire-fox 01-11-19 01:12 PM

ok, but that was a planned operation specifically to raid Scapa flow - so the commander would have had priority chose on torpedo stocks.

at a time when other commanders where going out on patrol or soon would be - without even a full load or any torpedo's.

Tonci87 01-11-19 02:10 PM

True enough, at the start of the war they basically used what they had, and the production numbers were low. But my point stands, The electric torpedo was intended to be the main torpedo for u boats. So the boats would have been issued mostly that type of torpedo, at least until the problems it had, became obvious.

As I wrote, U-47 had 12 electric torpedos on board during its third (regular) patrol in December 1939, so no special mission there.

The electric torpedo was also easier and much cheaper to produce, that also might have been a reason why it was intended to be the main weapon u the U-Boats.