SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   SH5 Mods Workshop (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=249)
-   -   [REL]The Wolves of Steel - SH5 Megamod (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=210703)

THEBERBSTER 12-17-17 04:06 AM

A Warm Welcome To The Subsim Community > KevinBijsterveld
Subsim <> Make A Donation <> See The Benefits <> Support The Community
Tutorials And Other Information Links In My Signature Below
If you have done this.
Post #5 Update SH5 From v1.0.5.0 To v1.2.0 Immediately After Installing

Sounds like you have a graphics/gpu problem.
Check that you have Direct X 9C installed
DirectX 9.0C > Download

Check that your graphic settings are setup correctly.
Post #239 Changing The Nvidia GPU Settings
Check that your in game graphics matches your monitors resolution.

What mods are you running?
Post #9 JSGME How To Export Your Mod List To A Subsim Post

fire-fox 12-17-17 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by THEBERBSTER (Post 2531351)
Hi Guys
AVG anti-virus is very picky when it comes seeing exe files.
I have to make exceptions for all SH exe applications.

TWOS updates will be blocked by AVG for up to 2 hours while it checks the file out if I do not turn it off first.
Peter.

Ran into that little issue a few years back. It’s why a now use AVAST :arrgh!: :D

shdwp 12-17-17 07:37 PM

Okay, I think I've got a problem. On the very first mission I've spent everything I've got, in, pretty much, single morning, so I've got no more torpedoes left.

I've tried to go back to the port I've started at, but Dock icon just doesn't appear (I've tried reloading it a couple times). Am I supposed to go somewhere else? Or should I wait for the mission end on sep 4?

HW3 12-17-17 07:58 PM

Head for Kiel, but take your time till you get a radio message telling you that is your new base.

shdwp 12-17-17 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HW3 (Post 2531607)
Head for Kiel, but take your time till you get a radio message telling you that is your new base.

Thanks, I'll try it tomorrow. I kinda thought that Kiel would be the case, to be honest.

THEBERBSTER 12-18-17 06:45 AM

A Warm Welcome To The Subsim Community > shdwp
Subsim <> Make A Donation <> See The Benefits <> Support The Community
Tutorials And Other Information Links In My Signature Below

You will not see your base icon change from Memel to Keil until you are well under your way towards it.
Do not end your patrol before midnight September 4th.

redline202 12-18-17 03:54 PM

wow, i see twos is doing great...just wanna say keep up the good work! :up:

shdwp 12-18-17 06:32 PM

1. Another little question - the very first mission have primary objective - report enemy contacts. I did find some, however, report menu always show "No function" under "Report contacts", and when I use it, it seems that nothing is happening. Do I have to somehow mark the ships on the map or something?

2. Also, is there a way to get all the information from your hydrophoneman? It seems that he successfully detects the ships and give me updates on, for example, closest one, but can I somehow get overall situation? Like, read all of the contacts.

3. Is there such functionality for visual contacts? Also, I believe crew does report if smoke visible in periscope? Can't I get updates on that?

4. Sometimes game stops locking ships. Like it was okay one second, I go underwater, space is not working anymore. Could somebody explain?

Thanks.

Roninthecow 12-18-17 06:32 PM

Wanted to thank again for this mod, finally feel comfortable with playing full realism aswell.

Thanks for your efforts making this. Superb work.

palmic 12-19-17 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shdwp (Post 2531789)
1. Another little question - the very first mission have primary objective - report enemy contacts. I did find some, however, report menu always show "No function" under "Report contacts", and when I use it, it seems that nothing is happening. Do I have to somehow mark the ships on the map or something?

2. Also, is there a way to get all the information from your hydrophoneman? It seems that he successfully detects the ships and give me updates on, for example, closest one, but can I somehow get overall situation? Like, read all of the contacts.

3. Is there such functionality for visual contacts? Also, I believe crew does report if smoke visible in periscope? Can't I get updates on that?

4. Sometimes game stops locking ships. Like it was okay one second, I go underwater, space is not working anymore. Could somebody explain?

Thanks.

1) just wait for your watch crew to spot them (they'll notify you in notices window), then go to your radio operator and personaly ask him to report contact.

2) Its not possible, Beno always pick one most important contact and follow it some time before he switch to another...
I found that, when you ask him to report his bearing periodically and then ask for position of closest one by the another button, he always report other contact, while he is also still reporting that first one. So this way you can track 2 of them..

3) No.
+ Please remember, that all skills of your hydrophone man and watch crew are dependent on their current morale and skills.
It happend to me many times especially at beginning of campaing, my Watch crew officer spot nothing and when i accidentally climbed to the tower, i saw destroyer just few hundreds meters before us...

4) you probably use mod for autotargeting right? TWOS should has no automatic ship targetting. In TWOS you are the camptain and you are responsible to find successfull targetting solution. :salute:

XenonSurf 12-19-17 03:19 PM

The entire TWOS mod (I currently play 2.1.0) is simply amazing, I've never seen before a sub sim with these grafic qualities and details. And I've played most of them, including all other SH series. Congrats to the entire team !
:Kaleun_Cheers:

It will take me ages to understand the new way of play however...
I'd like to start with a few simple questions:

[EDIT: deleted some questions because I found responses, thanks to TheBrebster!]

- What do the 2 first yellow icons in every view on the upper right serie of icons in 2.1.0 ? This is total chinese to me...I tried them , but sorry, I cannot deduce any actions...also sorry but I cannot put screenshot atm (and wouldn't much help).

- If you change the gameplay settings in the main menu it will not apply to current ongoing campaign ?

- What happens exactly if I activate/deactivate "Realistic sensors" in main gameplay options?

Thanks very much to clarify!

shdwp 12-19-17 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by palmic (Post 2531936)
1) just wait for your watch crew to spot them (they'll notify you in notices window), then go to your radio operator and personaly ask him to report contact.

Hmm, I wonder what the crew quick bar action do in this case...

Quote:

2) Its not possible, Beno always pick one most important contact and follow it some time before he switch to another...
I found that, when you ask him to report his bearing periodically and then ask for position of closest one by the another button, he always report other contact, while he is also still reporting that first one. So this way you can track 2 of them..
I've found out that as well yesterday. Still better than nothing.

Quote:

3) No.
+ Please remember, that all skills of your hydrophone man and watch crew are dependent on their current morale and skills.
It happend to me many times especially at beginning of campaing, my Watch crew officer spot nothing and when i accidentally climbed to the tower, i saw destroyer just few hundreds meters before us...
Happened to me too, not exactly hundreds, but while I'd no problem spotting the smoke at the horizon my crew saw nothing. Maybe that's the effect of night and slightly raised gamma tho. About the morale tho - I should check whether it is possible to disable it or make it easier, since 1. I usually dislike micromanagement like this 2. I have a feeling that I will be a terrible, terrible captain and their morale's gonna plummet trough the floor pretty quickly

Quote:

4) you probably use mod for autotargeting right? TWOS should has no automatic ship targetting. In TWOS you are the camptain and you are responsible to find successfull targetting solution. :salute:
By "locking" I meant using the space to show crew dialog to feed TDC the data and keeping it up to date. I clearly remember that it started working again after I've surfaced. It was night at the time, I wonder whether my crew weren't able to spot the target through periscope or something. Maybe it's required to use attack periscope when underwater to target stuff? (It seems that this happens every time I remove target, lower periscope, raise my periscope and try to lock it again. It seems that there's a delay between raising and being able to lock stuff. I guess this is sorted out).

About "autotargeting". I think I've got a basic understanding on how TDC works, but I can hardly see myself successfully using it on non-trivial encounters (like when you have really sharp angle and have to maneuver or chase the target). Is there a compatible mod that would give me the range/speed so I could use it as a backup in such occasions? (I know you can manually enable autoTDC, but that doesn't really work with real navigation sadly).

palmic 12-19-17 08:28 PM

shdwp:

About "autotargeting":

Well.. to be honest, if you sink just one ship, you are becomming to be one of the top captains in ww2 navy, but lets say, you want to have fun...
You can, i always have fun in TWOS, even if i am not successfull, just be patient and learn how TDC works...

shdwp 12-19-17 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by palmic (Post 2532006)
shdwp:

About "autotargeting":

Well.. to be honest, if you sink just one ship, you are becomming to be one of the top captains in ww2 navy, but lets say, you want to have fun...
You can, i always have fun in TWOS, even if i am not successfull, just be patient and learn how TDC works...

At this point I more or less know how it works. I've watched a few tutorials and stuff. The main point is that I don't want seeking missiles, nor I want to use point at a thing and blow it up.

Well, and truth to be told, I think figured it all out. I still find the process of finding target bearing and speed to be quite dull, but well, patience isn't something I'm good at.

I did find something that helps me with that. It seems that if you enable navmap markings of visible targets it will point the one that you've locked (by space) on to the minimap, and that way I can get the bearing and the speed just after single measurement. And realnav still works this way (truth to be told I get most of the fun from using it really).

And I gotta say that I've actually hit a ship today. Also I've hit a stationary target by manually operating the TDC dials too.

Thanks for the answers really. And I feel really obliged to donate to the TWOL author now, because this is one of the very few modifications that accomplish so many things and do it almost flawlessly.

XenonSurf 12-20-17 12:39 AM

Maybe a bug I don't know, but I'm not too far away after leaving my bunker and I get the message 'save game failed' when I want to save. Overwriting a save which is not recommended also failed, but now the overwritten save is gone, not anymore in the save display. I had to abandon my campaign unsaved. No mention of that in the extensive guides&tips for TWOS, I've checked that.
I have saved my camapaign immediately after entering the bunker as recommended, and loaded it again from main menu before leaving the bunker.

I don't know if it's because of that, my sub got somewhat damaged due to a grounding outside of the bunker area and eventually I left the area with multiple light damages to sub systems, the hull at 84%.

Maybe you cannot save when your crew is at a specific alert level, battlestations or similar? I used more times the F7 key but apart a clock showing I saw no difference in the crew behavior, and no voice messages related, so I assume that I was not in 'battlestation' mode.

What's up?