SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   SH5 Mods Workshop (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=249)
-   -   [REL]The Wolves of Steel - SH5 Megamod (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=210703)

propbeanie 11-22-22 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JerseySeven (Post 2838954)
@Torpedo
I'm super excited that it is also helpful for you!

@propbeanie
I was hoping for the kind of insight that you've shared. I'll try making the sea folder readable initially, then if needed, the pages folder.

Tried removing 'read-only' from sea, then both sea and pages. Recog manual still frozen on the initial "other" picture. Information can be accessed, and for those ships that have 'Additional Information' the text can be read, but any associated pictures are all white.

I appreciate the suggestions though.

Well, I'm not very insightful when it comes to most things "SH5". I can't even climb down the turm ladder for a dive :oops: ... OK, so the information of the ships change as you change the RecMan page, which that info comes from the cfg file in the Sea folder, but the dds sil file (same folder) is not loading... hmmmm... this is puzzling. Why would the image not refresh, I wonder... My laptop just went to Win11, so maybe I'll try SH5 on it later today and see what it does there... Another question though, had you done a Win11 "Upgrade" via Windows Update, or a new install (such as a new computer), and then installed SH5? If you installed SH5, is it Steam, Ubi, or disk?

Edit 1120... I cannot get Steam to log me in, and UConnect will not run, hence I cannot access SH5 on the win11 install to even begin to try to see what the RecMan does. In fact, NOTHING works correctly on the win11 laptop. What a waste of time "upgrading" to that pile of buffalo dung full of maggots. What a resource eater... I am now attempting to roll my laptop back to Win10, where the MS "rollback" app has told me I will have to (once again) re-install all of my apps. That's what MS tech support told me yesterday when nothing would run in win11... "you should probably re-install your applications"... a colossal waste of my precious time.

JerseySeven 11-22-22 03:36 PM

[QUOTE=propbeanie;2839037]Another question though, had you done a Win11 "Upgrade" via Windows Update, or a new install (such as a new computer), and then installed SH5? If you installed SH5, is it Steam, Ubi, or disk?
Upgraded from Win10 to Win11 1? year ago. The infamously buggy Win11 22H2 update was just installed on Oct 10 this year. I originally had SH5 on disk, but this install was from Ubisoft, as my computer case doesn't even have space for an internal DVD drive.
There is a Steam sale that just started today. I can log in, but I can't access items to buy... Their system may be overwhelmed.

Don't give up on Win11 too soon. I have to say that I've come to prefer Win11 to Win10. Prior to this latest 22H2 update, I'd had no trouble running anything (well, Dangerous Waters is an exception).

propbeanie 11-22-22 04:35 PM

Well, my computer did rollback to Win10 just fine, and runs much much better now, thank you very much Microsoft for absolutely nothing but irritation and time lost... After the "downgrade", Steam is functioning fine on the computer, and so is UConnect, though it is still a PIA what the two of them did to an SH5 launch now taking even longer than before, but alas, that is considered "progress" in today's fascinating and modern age.

I thought Maynard Krebbs said "My, what a fascinating and modern age we live in", maybe Dobie himself, but they are neither one credited with that, alas... :hmmm:

Torpedo 11-23-22 06:17 AM

Recognition Manual and Page layout.py

Hi everyone!
I did some research and I (hopefully) found the file that manages the Recognition Manual.
This is the "Page layout.py" file in data\Scripts\Menu and I report some commands lines:

.................................................. .................................................. ........................
# Modified by The Dark Wraith
def SOAN_GetUnitInfo():
ScriptManagerManaged.Trace( "SOAN_GetUnitInfo" )
#from menu import Utilities

global tdwsoan
currentship = tdwsoan.GetCurrentShipInCategory()[ 1 ]
if currentship == None:
TDWFileUtils.ChangeMITexture( Pagelayout_SOAN_Unit_Profile, GetSH5InstallPath() + "\\data\\Menu\\Gui\\Layout\\SOANBlank.dds", GetSH5InstallPath() + "\\data\\Menu\\Gui\\Layout\\CurrentSOAN .dds", True )
Pagelayout_SOAN_Unit_TechnicalData_Unitinfo_Name.T ext = ""
Pagelayout_SOAN_Unit_TechnicalData_Unitinfo_Displa cementval.Text = ""
Pagelayout_SOAN_Unit_TechnicalData_Unitinfo_Draftv al.Text = ""
Pagelayout_SOAN_Unit_TechnicalData_Unitinfo_Length val.Text = ""
Pagelayout_SOAN_Unit_TechnicalData_Unitinfo_Widthv al.Text = ""
Pagelayout_SOAN_Unit_TechnicalData_Unitinfo_Mastva l.Text = ""
Pagelayout_SOAN_Unit_TechnicalData_Unitinfo_Speedv al.Text = ""
Pagelayout_SOAN_Unit_TechnicalData_Unitinfo_Crewva l.Text = ""
Pagelayout_SOAN_Unit_TechnicalData_CountriesDates. ClearAllContents()
return

currentshipfolder = GetSH5InstallPath() + "\\data\\Sea" + currentship
# change the sil picture
newsil = currentshipfolder + "" + currentship + "_sil.dds"
#ScriptManagerManaged.Trace( "newsil=" + newsil )
TDWFileUtils.ChangeMITexture( Pagelayout_SOAN_Unit_Profile, newsil, GetSH5InstallPath() + "\\data\\Menu\\Gui\\Layout\\CurrentSOAN.dds", True )
#ScriptManagerManaged.Trace( "sil texture changed successfully" )
# get the ship info
Pagelayout_SOAN_Unit_Name.Text = tdwsoan.GetCurrentShipInCategory()[ 0 ].ToUpper()
cfgfile = currentshipfolder + "" + currentship + ".cfg"
aitfile = currentshipfolder + "" + currentship + ".ait"
txt = float( TDWFileUtils.FindEntryInFile( cfgfile, "Displacement", True, ";" ) ).ToString( "#####0.0" )
#ScriptManagerManaged.Trace( "Displacement: " + str( txt ) )
.................................................. .................................................. ......................

I don't know what to do and what to check to solve the SH5 problems with W11, but I leave it to the captains much knowledgeable than me to find the solution to the problems.
Or maybe someone has already looked into this file.
However this file has many other references to the Recognition Manual.

Torpedo :Kaleun_Salute:

Cristi_Neagu 11-23-22 08:23 AM

All the TDW DLLs are written in .NET 3.5, and when I look up Windows 11 and .NET 3.5 I see lots and lots of people complaining that the two don't work together. Maybe this is the root cause?

Have you guys tried installing .NET 3.5 framework?

propbeanie 11-23-22 05:45 PM

Those are both good and sensible places for a person to look, Torpedo & Cristi_Neagu... I was thinking maybe the Python interpreter was changed for Win11. It does look like it should function as intended though... All I can see on the Python dot org site is the statement "Note that Python 3.9.15 cannot be used on Windows 7 or earlier", up through the same message for the current 'stable' 3.11 release. But the NetFramework could be it also. In Windows 10 & 11, you can enable it by using the MS Documentation Install the .NET Framework 3.5 on Windows... site's instructions, if you need help with that. Let us know how it goes after that please... it will be at least a week before my new laptop arrives that I can try it on...

Cristi_Neagu 11-23-22 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by propbeanie (Post 2839309)
I was thinking maybe the Python interpreter was changed for Win11.

Unlike Linux (and maybe Apple, I don't know), there is no Python built into Windows. But this is a good point, though. Where is the Python interpreter that is used to run all those scripts? I wouldn't think it's built into SH. I imagine TDW has it built in somewhere. Either way, I don't think that's the issue.

propbeanie 11-23-22 09:42 PM

It is built into SH5 (since MS did not "invent" it, there is no native Windows support). I wish SH4 had similar, but alas, not so... Since Python dot org mentions the newer versions won't run on Win7 (or XP), but do NOT mention backwards compatibility, I also do not think it is a Python issue...

JerseySeven 11-24-22 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by propbeanie (Post 2839330)
It is built into SH5 (since MS did not "invent" it, there is no native Windows support). I wish SH4 had similar, but alas, not so... Since Python dot org mentions the newer versions won't run on Win7 (or XP), but do NOT mention backwards compatibility, I also do not think it is a Python issue...

Yeah... I installed the latest stable python last night and it made no difference. Also, on checking Windows features, I see that Net Framework 3.5 was already there and enabled. Odd how it's only the images in the recognition manual that are frozen, not the information on the ships :hmmm:.
Loaded more fuel and torps, and stayed out on an additional 4 weeks on my current patrol. The crew missed getting home for Xmas, but we netted an additional 4 ships and a destroyer, so there will be lots of celebrating when we get back on New Year's Day!

propbeanie 11-24-22 01:04 PM

My Windows 7 install of Steam just did an "update", and rolled me back to the Stock SH5, which for whatever reason, it re-downloaded. When I went to start the game, it gave me the "first time run" chore dialog, and said it was installing Microsoft NetFramework v2.0, which I thought had already been on the computer... Of course, this is a Win7 install, not 10 or 11, but is v2 needed also?... I thought activating v3.5 also activated v2, but maybe not... ??

JerseySeven 11-25-22 11:38 AM

@propbeanie
In Win11 under Windows Features it says
".NET Framework 3.5 (includes .NET 2.0 and 3.0)"

Probably the same for Win 7.

CaptBones 11-25-22 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by propbeanie (Post 2839100)
Well, my computer did rollback to Win10 just fine, and runs much much better now, thank you very much Microsoft for absolutely nothing but irritation and time lost... After the "downgrade", Steam is functioning fine on the computer, and so is UConnect, though it is still a PIA what the two of them did to an SH5 launch now taking even longer than before, but alas, that is considered "progress" in today's fascinating and modern age.

I thought Maynard Krebbs said "My, what a fascinating and modern age we live in", maybe Dobie himself, but they are neither one credited with that, alas... :hmmm:

I couldn't agree with you more...Microsoft is garbage anymore...I'm keeping my old Area 51 going with Windows 7 for as long as I can and will never willingly give in to use any of their "spyware" OS. BTW...it might have been Maynard or Dobie, but for sure it was Capt "Lucky" Jack Aubrey (Russell Crowe) in "Master and Commander, The Far Side of the World".

JerseySeven 11-25-22 07:45 PM

@Torpedo and others having problems with Win11 and TWos...

I may have a solution! I'll know for certain after more testing but for now, I have everything working again, even the elusive recognition manual images!

If you want to test it, here's what I did:

1. Search for "Security" or go to settings\Windows Security
2. In the panel, find "App & Browser Control"
2.1 "Reputation-based protection": Turn off
2.2 "Exploit protection": Open "Exploit protection settings"
2.2.1 There are two headings, System settings and Program settings. Click on Program settings
2.2.2 Click on plus sign next to "Add program to customize", then browse to your sh5.exe to add it
2.2.3 Click on sh5.exe once it is in the list. There are 23 possible overrides. Turn all of them OFF! Then click 'Apply'.
2.3 Verify that your 'Silent Hunter 5' folder is excluded from antivirus scans.
2.4 If you are not running a separate anti-malware program, make sure that "Exploit Protection" is turned off. I'm using Malwarebytes, so I turn that off in the Malwarebytes control panel, not in Windows Security.
Test out a copy of TWoS with all of the read-only settings turned OFF!

If you turn off Exploit Protection, it may be best to turn it back on before browsing the Internet.
Good luck and I hope it also works for you.

propbeanie 11-25-22 07:57 PM

Interesting JerseySeven... I have my game set-up in off-line mode on Win7 & 10, but Steam and UConnect both go online multiple times while launching... and might hang around while the game is running also... hmmm... I just looked at my new laptop - which is still in China - and delivery is pushed back a week... for now... and they're rioting in the streets there over COVID lock-downs... sigh. It might be NEXT Christmas before I see the laptop.

JerseySeven 11-25-22 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by propbeanie (Post 2839572)
Interesting JerseySeven... I have my game set-up in off-line mode on Win7 & 10, but Steam and UConnect both go online multiple times while launching... and might hang around while the game is running also... hmmm... I just looked at my new laptop - which is still in China - and delivery is pushed back a week... for now... and they're rioting in the streets there over COVID lock-downs... sigh. It might be NEXT Christmas before I see the laptop.

Sorry about the laptop delivery problem. I hope it arrives before Christmas for you. Last piece of hardware I ordered this summer from China took a month and a half to arrive, and that was without any riots going on.

Disconnecting from the net may not be necessary while running TWoS. How odd though... I don't know about the Steam/Ubi version but the UPlay (Ubisoft Connect) version in offline mode still loads smoothly even when I completely disable my ethernet and wireless connection (via a netsh interface command).

We can be grateful that this is not an EA game.

EDIT: Saturday. After 30 min in game, the UZO, charts, and recognition pictures turned white. I was so hopeful... Well, at least I know what isn't screwing it up.